View Single Post
Old 2005-08-21, 04:04 AM

Re: Computer thinks Video DVD has 5.4GB of data (with a video_rm folder)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Damage, Inc.
I recently received a DVD show, and when I went to copy it, the computer read that it had 5.4GB of data on it. Instead of the usual AUDIO_TS folder, it had a VIDEO_RM folder. I ripped it with DVD Decrypter, and it gave me 5.4GB of data so I could not burn it again. But when I used nero's "dvd copy" and it made an image, it worked fine. Also, the bottom of the disc looked only half burned. The files in the Video_ts folder were actually duplicates, with VTS_01 files, and then the same ones as VTS_02 files.

Just wondering if anyone knows whats going on here. Its quite strange that somehow the DVD reads having duplicate files so it totals more than the storage of a single dvd, yet the DVD is only basically half of whats displayed...
Basically, the same data is included in files in both the video_ts and video_rm folders, so the DVD only stores the actual data once, but it is pointed to by the directory file pointers in both folders. This is why the DVD appears to have more data than the physical media can hold.

As for the video_rm folder, just try ignoring it. What happens if you try and burn a new DVD containing just the video_ts folder? The video_rm folder is probably something to do with a DVD-RAM recorder.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes