View Single Post
Old 2010-02-28, 12:37 AM

Re: Spotting Lossy Sources--links inside

Actually, a few years ago, I could have been the one making a post just like yours.
I couldn't understand the whole uproar.
I thought, "What's the big deal? They're only bootlegs".
Why should I care, when I can't even hear the difference?

Then I slowly became converted.
The first thing I realized, what that by taking the time to hunt down lossless version, I was also getting superior versions. Not just because they were lossless. But because in order to get one that was lossless, I was usually getting one that was a superior generation, if not actually sourced from the master. The ones circulating in lossy versions were usually high gen shows that possibly even went through multiple MP3 conversions.
Getting less generated versions yeilded much more enjoyable shows.
Less cuts, less problems, less issues that were introduced in later generations.

As I started paying more attention, and started weeding out the lossy shows. I could start to spot suspect shows just by listening to them. I could here some of the glitches from compression artifacts left in the recordings. I could notice the different 'flavor' of the show because of the stripped out frequencies.

So, now I am completely converted. I believe that lossless is the way to go.

Now, personally, I think they go a little overboard here with some of their rules. But it is their place, and their rules, and I follow them.
I can't fault them for trying to keep things as pure as possible.