Thread: Firewalled
View Single Post
Old 2023-01-19, 04:40 AM
TTD Administrator
TTD Staff

Re: Firewalled

I'm beginning to think our hosting provider has some issues with some of the routes folks' connectable pings take to connect to TTD. Which means TTD will think you are firewalled when if fact you are not (to other peers).

This would explain why I and others can download a gig when all peers show as firewalled on TTD.

It would be nice if the bittorrent protocol could report who a peer can connect to and relay this back to the tracker to be displayed in the peers list (and seeder counts). But AFAIK the protocol has no means to report connectivity with other peers back to the tracker.

The Seeding Opportunities page and all other torrents.php generated pages now consider your connectable status (to TTD) when generating the page. Which means the current and previous version are not quite accurate with who's really firewalled because of the inaccurate connectable status data. The same goes for the the rest of the peers data on the site which is using the prior torrents.php logic which relies on all seeders being connectable to be accurate.

IVPN has not improved any. In fact is seems to be getting worse. Now some servers outside the US report me as being firewalled, however I can download just fine. It's madness. I'm going to research the bittorrent peer info relay idea and see if anyone else concluded the same and if any fix exists. Maybe there is one and it's how some other torrent sites report accurate firewalled status.

TLDR:
Take the TTD firewalled stats with a grain of salt.
Reply With Quote Reply with Nested Quotes