PDA

View Full Version : Wolfgang's Vault vs Lossless Audio

Rock10
2012-05-30, 11:45 PM
Since Wolfgang's Vault shows are pre-FM, are there shows better than lossless versions of those shows?

germain
2012-05-31, 07:11 AM
You are attempting to compare the file source with the digital storage/transfer. Two totally different things. Prefm refers to reels/cassettes mixed and recorded at the show for later fm broadcast. When these tapes are transferred into the digital realm, they could be stored as lossless files like wav or flac, but someone might also store them as lossy files like mp3. Obviously you'd want the lossless copy over the mp3.

Numerous factors play into the quality of any given analog source. For your prefm sources, all of these factors will make a huge difference in quality.
The mix going into the tape and recording levels of the tape.
The type of recorder & tape used.
For a reel, the speed of the recording and whether it was recorded 1/2 track or 1/4 track.
The number of analog generations before the tape was digitized.
Tape degradation before it was digitized.

Then of course the analog>digital transfer can make another huge difference in quality of the final product.

Rock10
2012-05-31, 12:45 PM
You are attempting to compare the file source with the digital storage/transfer. Two totally different things. Prefm refers to reels/cassettes mixed and recorded at the show for later fm broadcast. When these tapes are transferred into the digital realm, they could be stored as lossless files like wav or flac, but someone might also store them as lossy files like mp3. Obviously you'd want the lossless copy over the mp3.

Numerous factors play into the quality of any given analog source. For your prefm sources, all of these factors will make a huge difference in quality.
The mix going into the tape and recording levels of the tape.
The type of recorder & tape used.
For a reel, the speed of the recording and whether it was recorded 1/2 track or 1/4 track.
The number of analog generations before the tape was digitized.
Tape degradation before it was digitized.

Then of course the analog>digital transfer can make another huge difference in quality of the final product.

Wolfgang's Vault shows are only available in mp3, but they are the best sounding copies of these shows.

rspencer
2012-05-31, 02:08 PM
Many, if not most, of the shows exist in lossless form.
And there are better copies of some shows out there.

AAR.oner
2012-05-31, 02:32 PM
when in doubt, use yer ears :thumbsup

bluzman
2012-05-31, 02:33 PM
Some of the shows, if you don't already have them in lossless are available for purchase on their site as .flac.

Modern Day Composer
2012-06-04, 06:20 AM
Many, if not most, of the shows exist in lossless form.
And there are better copies of some shows out there.

Also, Wolfgang's Vault is FULL OF SHIT with some shows on thier site. Some of those shows are NOT Bill Graham's soundboards at all.

If you check out the Pink Floyd shows on the site, you see that the people at Wolfgang's Vault took a great audience recording that had been bootlegged over and over for years and years and posted it on thier site with a description that says it's "Bill Graham's soundboard" when it's not even a soundboard at all.

http://www.wolfgangsvault.com/pink-floyd/concerts/oakland-coliseum-arena-may-09-1977.html

How do I know this? ...call it an "animal instinct"

Unidecker
2012-06-04, 03:09 PM
very true wolfgangs is full of shiet and selling flacs they dont own or have royalties on..

if you buy you are as dumb as they are... the same material is avail free if you look around in the usual places.

rspencer
2012-06-05, 04:43 PM
At least at the start, the material was all from Graham's personal collection, not necessarily his recordings (he had his crew tape shows both off the board & with audience mics).

If they're labeling other shows as his recordings, yeah, that's BS.

Rock10
2012-06-07, 09:10 AM
Before I started using download sites, I recorded Wolfgang Vault shows on my computer, using Ask and Record Toolbar. They don't sound bad.

donniewn
2012-06-10, 11:29 AM
wolfgangs has lossless .flac files of some shows.they have many shows that are not "available" for download for some moronic reason.i dont wanna listen to a concert in 64 kbps.sounds like crap to my ears.

bden
2012-06-13, 07:43 PM
how that site is still operational is beyond me