PDA

View Full Version : Are concert bootlegs legal?

B-rad
2012-02-27, 03:56 PM
Just a general question if these concerts are legal or not? I am very new to downloading music. I know before people got in trouble for sites like Napster.... is it the same when it is a concert?

All my music I own is either on vinyl or cd and the odd song from itunes... just wondering if i am still on the honest side of the music industry if I add concert boots to my collection.

Thank you very much for any advice and hopefully I got this in the right forum. If not I apoligize.. first post..

Cheers!

Karst
2012-02-27, 05:10 PM
It is illegal as strictly speaking it is copyright violation. However, it is 'generally accepted' that sharing audiorecordings is a hobbyist venture engaged in by, well, mostly men with beards.

While commercial bootlegging does exist, sites like these are fairly safe. There is no financial gain from this.

Read the rules though, as piracy (as Napster and the Piratebay engage in) is a serious violation of copyright law and could incur hefty fines. But you won't have to worry about that here when downloading any material.

mdshrk1
2012-02-27, 06:41 PM
it is 'generally accepted' that sharing audiorecordings is a hobbyist venture engaged in by, well, mostly men with beards.

Damn. Glad I started to grow my goatee back. Wouldn't want to be out of the "norm." :lmao: :wtf: :wave:

Audioarchivist
2012-02-27, 07:26 PM
While technically recording and sharing concert recordings for free as we do here is at most questionable, it's much more illegal to buy and sell them. Even that is far less in question than illegally pirating music that the artists are trying to sell. Concert recordings aren't taking any money away from the artists, as they aren't trying to make money off of them. What we do is far removed from pirating CD's like they used to do on Napster...

As for the beard thing, it hides the wires to my microphones better!

tonebloke
2012-02-27, 11:25 PM
As for the beard thing, it hides the wires to my microphones better!

:lol4::lol4::lol4: :thumbsup

jamroom
2012-02-28, 01:13 AM
Perhaps worth you knowing that many artists openly support their fans making recordings of their shows. Many others tolerate their fans sharing live recordings, as long as no money is made from them.

Mind you, there are some who don't like it at all and recordings of their shows cannot be shared on here. See this for further info - http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=removal#faq_band_restriction

Unidecker
2012-02-28, 05:11 PM
BTAT = Bands That Allow Taping/sharing also works well .

LeifH12345
2012-02-28, 05:32 PM
BTAT = Bands That Allow Taping/sharing also works well .

Never trust one source.

Take Gwar and Rush for example. They've been listed as taper friendly before but as of late they aren't