PDA

View Full Version : Help! - can't play videos imported from external backup after hard drive crash

Genesee Ted
2012-02-04, 02:03 PM
Okay, so my hard drive crashed, but I had backed up my video files to an external hard drive, so no problem, right?

But after I restored the files form the external drive, the files on my hard drive are just empty shells of their former selves. The file sizes are tiny (like 50 kb for a file that should 50 mb), and a lot of them have .bup extensions that they didn't have before. And obviously they won't play.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on and how to fix the problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

co9ol
2012-02-04, 03:24 PM
Not sure, but it sounds like you never really backed them up. Sounds like you just made shortcuts.

LeifH12345
2012-02-04, 03:30 PM
Yeah I think Co9ol is right.

Next time test stuff when you back it up, and do everything manually. Don't trust windows explorer. ctrl + c > ctrl + v

Genesee Ted
2012-02-04, 03:47 PM
Thanks for the comments. Maybe they are just shortcuts. They do kind of look like that.

The good news is that 110 gigs of music files that I backed up are working fine, but that makes it more confusing for me as to why the videos aren't properly backed up.

tonebloke
2012-02-05, 02:53 AM
Is your back-up automated or do you do it manually?

oxymoron
2012-02-05, 03:04 AM
The BUP file type is primarily associated with 'DVD Info File Backup'. BUP files are just backup files of the IFO files.

Genesee Ted
2012-02-07, 10:02 AM
Thanks for the further responses.

I didn't do it manually in the sense of copying and pasting; I understood there was software on the external hard drive, and I tried to back stuff up using that.

Sounds like I screwed up.

paddington
2012-02-07, 10:07 AM
yeah, the software ignored the actual video files (.vob) and grabbed the .bup useless files...

maybe there isa setting taht makes it ignore huge files? .vobs can be up to a gigabyte in size... maybe check the settings. Also, there could be a default filter that excludes .vobs for that same reason.

LeifH12345
2012-02-07, 06:40 PM
Personally, I would just not trust automated back up. Do it yourself.

says the guy with 4 hard drives