PDA

View Full Version : Firewalled and Stymied

upperdecker
2012-02-01, 08:57 AM
I have been using bit torrent s/w for years and I have always managed to forward my ports, but ever since I had to switch over to a new Windows 7 computer, I can't seem to get around a firewall. I am using Comodo, and I think I have established the requisite rules for uTorrent (currently running 2.2.1). I created a static IP address and have tried configuring my router (an Actiontek from Verizon) both with the UPnP feature in uTorrent as well as manually. Could Malwarebytes be causing me an issue? I disabled the "website blocking" feature, but that made no difference. For that matter, I have disabled my Comodo firewall temporarily to see if that was the culprit but I always get the same result.

I am desperate to fix this, so any help appreciated. I wouldn't be asking for help if I could avoid it, but I have spent at least six hours trying to figure this out and I am no closer to an answer than I was before. As I said, up until I began using this computer, I was fine. Same router, same network. The only differences seem to be the operating system and the firewall program. I was just using the Windows firewall with my old XP machine, but with this new Windows 7 unit, I have issues with the MS firewall, so my IT guy suggested Comodo. By the way, even my IT guy was not able to figure this out after taking a quick look.

In debt to anyone who can help me. I'd like to keep my rather respectable share ratio, and I've always sort of scoffed at people showing a firewall, but here I am...

Thanks,

Tom (upperdecker)

Ghostwheel
2012-02-01, 09:10 AM
i'm in the same boat. i never had a problem with it until recently, even with windows 7. but, somehow my router was reset a few weeks ago and ever since then i have not been able to figure it out. it's starting to piss me off.

U2Lynne
2012-02-01, 09:31 AM
Are you guys testing your configuration after each change at canyouseeme.org?

upperdecker
2012-02-01, 09:36 AM
Are you guys testing your configuration after each change at canyouseeme.org?

Absolutely. Seeing that same error (Error: I could not see your service on XXX.XX.X.XXX on port (6881) Reason: Connection timed out) is maddening! I test it after each tweak and adjustment I make, but always the same result. Appreciate the help nonetheless.

U2Lynne
2012-02-01, 09:48 AM
Try picking a different port. Some ISPs used to (still?) block the known bittorrent ports. Try something like 45050.

upperdecker
2012-02-01, 09:53 AM
Try picking a different port. Some ISPs used to (still?) block the known bittorrent ports. Try something like 45050.

Worth a try. I initially was using 37754 (just some random port chosen by uTorrent), but I'll try again. Thanks. I'll report back.

upperdecker
2012-02-01, 09:57 AM

Tried it. First I checked the router settings to ensure the UPnP had added the new rules for port forwarding. Then I disabled the Comodo firewall completely. Guess what? Same error. Canyouseeme.org still shows it as blocked. This just makes no sense. Thanks again for trying.

Ghostwheel
2012-02-01, 02:18 PM
yeah, i've tried all of that. nothing.

U2Lynne
2012-02-01, 02:48 PM
make sure utorrent is not allowed to pick a random port otherwise you cannot forward to that one port. You need to set the port yourself,

upperdecker
2012-02-01, 03:05 PM
make sure utorrent is not allowed to pick a random port otherwise you cannot forward to that one port. You need to set the port yourself,

Again, thanks for the suggestion, but I already considered that. The random assignment of ports is not enabled.

Man, what's so frustrating is that I've done this before, perhaps a half dozen times with other machines. It seems I have some undetected firewall running. Does anyone know of a service I could enlist to help get this straightened out? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee if that's what it took.

Ghostwheel
2012-02-01, 03:18 PM
Again, thanks for the suggestion, but I already considered that. The random assignment of ports is not enabled.

Man, what's so frustrating is that I've done this before, perhaps a half dozen times with other machines. It seems I have some undetected firewall running. Does anyone know of a service I could enlist to help get this straightened out? I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee if that's what it took.

https://secure.portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi

personally, i'm not willing to pay the money. people still seem to able to download from me as i've uploaded several things since this happened. it takes a little time to start on occasion but, once someone gets through to me, my upload speed is the same as always. and, i have no problem downloading.

upperdecker
2012-02-01, 07:17 PM
https://secure.portforward.com/store/pfconfig.cgi

personally, i'm not willing to pay the money. people still seem to able to download from me as i've uploaded several things since this happened. it takes a little time to start on occasion but, once someone gets through to me, my upload speed is the same as always. and, i have no problem downloading.

I am quite familiar with that advertisement, and although in the past I've dismissed such services out of hand, I am so bewildered by my current inability to shed my firewall issue(s) that I would purchase it without hesitation if I really thought it could get me back in business.

The problem with that pfconfig s/w is that they are only promising to ensure the forwarding of ports, whereas I am increasingly convinced that my ports are indeed forwarding, but that a firewall is causing the "blockage." In other words, I can easily see them saying, "well, your port forwarding is now properly configured in both your router and your BT client, but there is a firewall configuration issue that we can not support."

I apologize for having to ask for help. I probably sound like a whiner. I just don't know what else to do. I've been able to forward my ports for about 7 yrs. and suddenly I'm like a noob.

Ghostwheel
2012-02-01, 08:02 PM
I apologize for having to ask for help. I probably sound like a whiner. I just don't know what else to do. I've been able to forward my ports for about 7 yrs. and suddenly I'm like a noob.

i hear you. i'm starting to feel the same way. although i might have narrowed my problem down to a virus that is hiding control of windows firewall, which in turn is keeping me from reconfiguring windows firewall to allow utorrent.

bullpinjohn
2012-02-02, 12:23 AM
Call Verizon, and ask them to walk thru configuration.

U2Lynne
2012-02-02, 09:43 AM
I have gone through periods where I am firewalled for no reason. It really hasn't affected me because I just continue to seed until I reach my 1:1 anyway. I don't normally hop on really old seeds, so I've always been able to find people who can connect to me anyway.

Ghostwheel
2012-03-01, 05:03 PM
okay, so now i got something really weird going on. according to utorrent & canyouseeme i'm using port 26665 and it's open. but, on dime where i'm currently seeding something it says i'm using port 26667 and i'm firewalled. wtf?

Drgiggles1
2012-03-01, 08:53 PM
okay, so now i got something really weird going on. according to utorrent & canyouseeme i'm using port 26665 and it's open. but, on dime where i'm currently seeding something it says i'm using port 26667 and i'm firewalled. wtf?
Try stopping the affected torrents on dime and removing the torrent/s and than clicking on them again to see if the port number dime sees changed. Do you have more than 1 pc on the network using Utorrent

Ghostwheel
2012-03-02, 07:57 AM
Try stopping the affected torrents on dime and removing the torrent/s and than clicking on them again to see if the port number dime sees changed. Do you have more than 1 pc on the network using Utorrent

i did that already. i was originally using port 26664 and dime said i was using 26665 so i switched to that and then dime said i was using 26667. i'm the only one using utorrent or any torrent client for that matter.

avidliving
2012-08-09, 06:05 PM
Same problem - must be windows 7 - this has only been a problem since i switched from win xp. I've done all this before and know to set everything up properly but I'm still labeled FIREWALLED. I can connect to dowload but don't seem to be able to upload. I've downloaded one torrent and have'nt been able to upload anything as yet. I have no problem uploading to other torrent sites though. So as it stands it looks as though I'll be killed off for a bad ratio. and I can't seem to be able to do anthing about it.