PDA

View Full Version : Thinking Of Doing Some VHS to DVD Transfers

ijwthstd
2011-11-21, 08:46 PM
I know with LOTS of digging around I guess I can find some info but I am lazy and tend to get overwhelmed quickly when looking for tech info...

Basically I agreed to store loads of media for a friend as his wife was complaining about sharing space and possibly affections with millions of tapes.

I've been sitting on all these VHS tapes for over a year. I already separated standard trade fare from masters/1st gens/exclusive content. I want to transfer the rare stuff before sending the whole batch off to storage.

I know someone will be too happy to offer so I will say up front I've been burned twice in recent years so at this point I would send any tapes to the city dump before sending them off to someone to just hope I get them back.

Looking to buy the cheapest standalone recorder and maybe borrow a VHS player (mine is a mono yard sale special), then sell the recorder when the project is over and give the VCR back.

But I want to act quick as these are taking up too much space and I might also be bringing in more audio tapes.

So, before I proceed with my plan, is there anything I should know?

AAR.oner
2011-11-22, 05:22 AM
a regular VHS deck and cheap standalone DVD recorder is gonna give you complete shite results

ijwthstd
2011-11-22, 12:28 PM
a regular VHS deck and cheap standalone DVD recorder is gonna give you complete shite results

I suspected as much.

I don't have many other options so I guess these aren't going to be going anywhere then.

retired
2011-11-22, 12:46 PM
There are plenty of trustworhty people with the right equipment to do proper transfers, you just gotta have tapes they're interested in.

Proof is in the pudding
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?p=942634#post942634
....fuck standalone transfers.

ijwthstd
2011-11-22, 01:23 PM
Since these tapes aren't mine I can't really let them go either way.

Oh well, there is so much out there that individual shows no longer really matter, at least not to me.

asdf29
2011-11-23, 07:58 PM
to avoid yet another thread on this difficult topic, does anyone have experience with
the Sony VRDMC6 standalone DVD burner?

about $100 at amazon. looks very easy to use.
i don't have any tech skills or ambition for figuring out how to transfer stuff to my PC.

yes, i know the majority opinion is that standalone burners are shite...

ballsdeep
2011-11-23, 08:19 PM
I could probably pony up a nice stereo Sony VHS player.

'nice' meaning less than 200 hours of playback/less than 500 hours of record time

ijwthstd
2011-11-23, 08:37 PM
I could probably pony up a nice stereo Sony VHS player.

'nice' meaning less than 200 hours of playback/less than 500 hours of record time

Wow, that's probably good enough.

Of course if I at least had backups then sending the tapes out wouldn't seem so risky.

My TV is a curbside special most likely manufactured in the 1980's, so it's not like they have to look THAT good.

chinajoe
2011-11-24, 12:00 AM
perhaps you should consider investing in a good vcr and hooking it up to the computer.

ijwthstd
2011-11-24, 12:46 AM
perhaps you should consider investing in a good vcr and hooking it up to the computer.

I get a headache just thinking about it.