PDA

View Full Version : Help getting started

screwball
2005-07-09, 10:22 PM
Is there anybody or any website that can guide a person thru downloading Azureus. Why do I need java? What is it? What is a mirror? What do I do with it when I get it? I thought all this stuff was free? I have read the FAQ and it just dosen't have the answers. All I want to do is get the Cream shows. Please help

U2Lynne
2005-07-09, 10:37 PM
I strongly suggest if you are new to all this, you just grab the basic client from http://www.bittorrent.com/ . No java needed and installation is painless.

screwball
2005-07-09, 10:45 PM
I click the download button, and it asks me to pick a mirror which I did (easynews), what do I do then? I don't get it.

U2Lynne
2005-07-09, 10:55 PM
Pick a mirror site closest to you. But, the official bt site that I linked you to doesn't ask for a mirror site. If you are having problems with mirror sites, you're going to have problems with first installing java, then Azureus, then setting it up properly (because you probably won't understand many of the bittorrent terms). Start with an easy client and once you get the hang of things, move onto one that is a bit more involved, but also more customizable (like Azureus).

Ted
2005-07-10, 07:30 AM
A "mirror is simply an alternate place to download a file from. I would do as U2Lynne says and go with the basic client first. If you have problems, come back here and we'll get you fixed up.

screwball
2005-07-10, 08:29 PM
Sorry, I had to bail out quickly last night, the link that U2Lynne sent me does ask for a mirror and I still don't get it. This is what I'm doing - I open bittorrent.com and I click the windows download button and it sends me to a page that instructs me to pick a mirror. I choose the one closest to me which is Easynews and they want $10 a month. Does everybody get stuck with this? I want to get involved with this, I've got a list 3 or 4 times bigger than enything I've seen so far. I've been collecting music for over 35 years.

Ted
2005-07-10, 08:42 PM
You were clicking on the logo to the left, weren't you (that's advertising)? Look on the right side under the "Download" column. Click the icon in there ;)

Post back if you still can't download or have other problems.

U2Lynne
2005-07-10, 08:43 PM
Weird. I'm on a Mac and when I hit the Mac link, I don't get asked for a mirror. However, I pulled up that site on my PC, selected the Windows button then selected the easynews mirro and it downloaded just fine for me. When are you getting told it costs money?

U2Lynne
2005-07-10, 08:44 PM
Ted, you did it again! :)

Ted
2005-07-10, 08:49 PM
You're not the only female to tell me I was too quick.

U2Lynne
2005-07-10, 09:00 PM
hehe