PDA

View Full Version : yet another.. VHS capture to Wrkstn thread

direwolf-pgh
2011-02-08, 05:51 AM
short and sweet..

found a box of VHS tapes > capture to wrkstn via tv tuner card (75 ohm coax)

need advice on prog/filter to use to clean up the capture - too much 'color noise'.

AAR.oner
2011-02-08, 08:07 AM
assuming yer not interested in purchasing proc amp/TBC hardware and are lookin for software filters, yer on a Windows machine right?

Premiere is all i've ever used on a PC, and After Effects has some pretty good filters for cleaning up noise...also, Red Giant makes some excellent filters for the job

direwolf-pgh
2011-02-08, 08:16 AM
Correct, I'm not investing in hardware. Windows 7 > software/name of filter would be helpful.

the capture is very good - just needs a tweak and I'm in unfamiliar territory.
surfing around I'm seeing the usual suspects: VirtualDub/TMPGenc.. (I'm really more interested in which filters to use for standard VHS cleanup)

AAR.oner
2011-02-08, 08:34 AM
although all NLEs will have some sorta built-in filter, usually the 3rd party filters do a much more thorough job...guessin yer lookin for an NLE prog as well, as i said before all i've ever worked on really is Adobe Premiere...saltman and a lot of those guys use Sony Vegas

Red Giant's "Magic Bullet" series of filters has a Denoiser that works great...also used a program a few yrs back called DE:Noise [can't remember the company's name] that worked well...After Effects has a built-in noise reduction tool that is fairly good as well

all the above are at least semi-pro software tho, if yer lookin for cheap progs i can't tell ya from experience...but heard there was a cheap plug-in called Neat [i think] that'd do a great job considering the price...should work with any NLE i'm assuming

EDIT: called Neat Video (http://www.neatvideo.com/), at $50 thats dirt cheap!

direwolf-pgh
2011-02-08, 08:48 AM
cool. thanks.. I'm also looking at MSU Denoiser Filter for VirtualDub

here is a worst case example from a very low light frame: ..gots the rainbow blues

AAR.oner
2011-02-08, 09:11 AM
hadn't heard of that one, but looks like its free for non-professional use so what the hell give it a go :thumbsup

doesn't look to bad from the screen, should be able to clean that up nicely

direwolf-pgh
2011-02-08, 09:15 AM
sweet - I'll follow up with results :D thats a 17yr old wolf standing in that frame

trustthex
2011-02-08, 09:26 PM
Lookin' good there wolf!

AAR.oner
2011-02-09, 05:56 AM
sweet - I'll follow up with results :D thats a 17yr old wolf standing in that frame

:lol4:

yeah let me know how that NR filter works...always love to get reviews on progs i ain't used before, especially freeware we can recommend to folks around here who look at ya crazy for recommending something that costs $$$ ;)