PDA

View Full Version : Any users of TMPGEnc DVD Author 3?

tgunn2760
2011-01-11, 12:42 AM
I need help creating a top and track menu. Can anyone who uses this app help?

I have a show with 4 artists, so I would like a top menu with four links to each track menu. I have tried but so far can't get it to work.

The number of tracks differ, one artist has 7 tracks, another just one, the third 6 and the last one 8 I think. The way I think the app works all track menus must
contain the same number of tracks. So if I wanted 3 track menus they all have to have either 6 tracks, or 7 tracks or 8 tracks.

Or is there another way I don't know about?

Unidecker
2011-01-11, 12:47 AM
use sony vegas in timeline mode makes it a bit easier imho

sysoverload
2011-01-11, 01:28 AM
I think you're confusing tracks with chapters. each track can have a different number of chapters. drag and drop your source, then go to cut/edit and make chapters, then add a new track, drop your source, go to cut/edit and make chapters, etc. then when it comes to making a menu, choose top and track, 4 thumbnails for your top menu page, and however many thumbnails you want per track page.

tgunn2760
2011-01-11, 09:13 AM
I think you're confusing tracks with chapters. each track can have a different number of chapters. drag and drop your source, then go to cut/edit and make chapters, then add a new track, drop your source, go to cut/edit and make chapters, etc. then when it comes to making a menu, choose top and track, 4 thumbnails for your top menu page, and however many thumbnails you want per track page.

They are not 4 sources. One source, 4 artists.

I'd like top menu four links to 4 tracks, each with chapters. I haven't been able to find a way to do it. I can get top menu, then track menus have to have the same number of chapters, unless there is a way I don't know about.

jabulon
2011-01-11, 09:20 AM
They are not 4 sources. One source, 4 artists.

I'd like top menu four links to 4 tracks, each with chapters. I haven't been able to find a way to do it. I can get top menu, then track menus have to have the same number of chapters, unless there is a way I don't know about.
1 source (file) and 4 artists? Add the source file 4 times (as 4 seperate tracks) and then select edit clip (so you can select the footage of each artists).

sysoverload
2011-01-11, 10:55 AM
^ exactly. with cut/edit you can set the start and end points for each artist as well as add chapters. make sure to add chapters at the beginning or end of each frame (the box will turn red to indicate when you're at the beginning or end of a frame). I make sure to set start and end points on frame boundaries as well.

tgunn2760
2011-01-11, 12:12 PM
Doesn't work, will have to chop up the file into 4 pieces and try it that way.

The problem is the number of chapters or songs. One artist performs 7, one 6, one 8 and the last one just one. But I cannot choose track selection or menu pages with different numbers of songs, they all have to be the same, either 6, 7, or 8

sysoverload
2011-01-11, 12:17 PM
correct, but this is the maximum amount of thumbnails per page. if you have it set for a maximum of 8 thumbnails per page, but there are only three chapters for that track, you'll only see 3 thumbnails on that track's chapter page.

tgunn2760
2011-01-11, 01:00 PM
correct, but this is the maximum amount of thumbnails per page. if you have it set for a maximum of 8 thumbnails per page, but there are only three chapters for that track, you'll only see 3 thumbnails on that track's chapter page.

Nope, it didn't work that way. I hope it works with it all chopped up.

Meanwhile, looking online for a set list.

Fucking Kardinal Offishall? Ugh...

dazzz
2011-01-11, 01:13 PM
it doesn't matter if each track has a different amount of chapters.

when starting the menu wizard or whatever you call it just select to use someting like 12chapters and then it doesn't matter if there is less chapter point in each track

sysoverload
2011-01-11, 01:18 PM
you're doing something wrong, cuz it just worked for me using one clip, and adding it twice for a total of two tracks. I added three chapters to the first track, and two chapters to the second track. I chose "create a custom menu by choosing layout and items" and structured the menu in classic mode and was able to generate a top menu with 2 tracks, and the first track had three thumbnails, and the second track had two thumbnails. btw, both the top and track menus were set for a maximum of 9 thumbs per page.

are you sure you're adding chapter points in cut/edit before you progress to menu creation?

you're new to this program. take some time and familiarize yourself with it.

tgunn2760
2011-01-11, 02:51 PM
The clip/s is/are already chaptered.

I know I am not doing something right, that's why I posted here.

Did you use the chapter display option?

sysoverload
2011-01-11, 03:15 PM
importing it with the chapters is probably causing the problem. the original only has one track with many chapters, but your new project is 4 tracks with their own chapters. since you're giving it a new menu and structure I would just import it without the chapters, then make your own. wouldn't take long.

tgunn2760
2011-01-11, 06:05 PM
importing it with the chapters is probably causing the problem. the original only has one track with many chapters, but your new project is 4 tracks with their own chapters. since you're giving it a new menu and structure I would just import it without the chapters, then make your own. wouldn't take long.

I have not being able to make a top and track menu with this app.

I have used a number of clips before where I added chapters later-5 minute chapters-and could not get it to produce a top menu and track menus.

sysoverload
2011-01-11, 06:52 PM
http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/TMPGEnc_DVD_Author_3_DVD_Authoring_Guide_page1.html

what file type is your source? VIDEO_TS folder, .mpg?

tgunn2760
2011-01-11, 07:04 PM
http://www.digital-digest.com/articles/TMPGEnc_DVD_Author_3_DVD_Authoring_Guide_page1.html

what file type is your source? VIDEO_TS folder, .mpg?

This one is TS folder, I've used mpeg's before, multiplexed.

Same thing happened.

sysoverload
2011-01-11, 08:07 PM
add a track is different from add a clip btw. one track can have several clips. you want four tracks, with one clip in each (each edited and chaptered differently). the 'add a track' button is in the top left of the screen. each time you press it you'll see track 1, track 2, track 3, etc.

for a dvd you'll have to add the TS folder 4 different times, so you'll need free space totaling 5 times the space of your dvd (4 temporary files and one output VIDEO_TS folder).

I don't know what else to say other than read tutorials and experiment on your own. It ain't rocket science, especially with such a user friendly program as this.

tgunn2760
2011-01-12, 02:21 AM
add a track is different from add a clip btw. one track can have several clips. you want four tracks, with one clip in each (each edited and chaptered differently). the 'add a track' button is in the top left of the screen. each time you press it you'll see track 1, track 2, track 3, etc.

for a dvd you'll have to add the TS folder 4 different times, so you'll need free space totaling 5 times the space of your dvd (4 temporary files and one output VIDEO_TS folder).

I don't know what else to say other than read tutorials and experiment on your own. It ain't rocket science, especially with such a user friendly program as this.

Thanks a brazillion. That's the answer. Add a track.
It worked.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup

jabulon
2011-01-12, 02:54 AM
I thought I said that 13 posts ago.
1 source (file) and 4 artists? Add the source file 4 times (as 4 seperate tracks) and then select edit clip (so you can select the footage of each artist).
Good to hear you figured it out eventually.:thumbsup

tgunn2760
2011-01-12, 10:19 AM
I thought I said that 13 posts ago.
1 source (file) and 4 artists? Add the source file 4 times (as 4 seperate tracks) and then select edit clip (so you can select the footage of each artist).
Good to hear you figured it out eventually.:thumbsup

Yes but I thought adding files or source were tracks. I didn't know you meant click tracks top left. I had added a first play track before but it had never occurred to me to click the add track button.

I knew I wasn't doing something right.