PDA

View Full Version : Copying audio archive files- file names too long??

Owy
2010-11-06, 08:23 AM
Hiya,

I am currently looking to replace my current 500GB external drive where I store my audio archive with a larger drive- however it has come to my attention that there can be problems copying from one drive to another where if the file names are considered too long, it may not copy.

Given that I am going to be copying 500GB of FLAC files, so leaving the computer to it to copy (probably taking several hours), do any of you knowledgeable folks know of good software which may monitor this operation for any errors, and hence miscopied or non copied files?

tonebloke
2010-11-06, 11:56 PM
Leave what you have on the 500 Gb and just get another larger external.

I'm up to #6 1 Tb external.

GRC
2010-11-07, 03:39 AM
I hit the same problem when moving some torrents around a few days ago. I took the 'brute force' approach and renamed them.

This will mean, I think, that if I attempt to seed them, they'll be rejected by the tracker (can someone confirm?), but it was only for a couple of filesets out of hundreds of torrents.....

Owy
2010-11-07, 04:47 AM
Leave what you have on the 500 Gb and just get another larger external.

I'm up to #6 1 Tb external.

There is that option... but I was hopin g to be able to access the collection from one central point for ease of access throught the Squeezebox

(6 ITbs? wow!!)

lol

rthunder
2010-11-07, 06:06 AM
Try this one, it shows all files copied so you know if some are not ok.
Since i use it all is fine.
http://www.codesector.com/teracopy.php

tonebloke
2010-11-07, 10:48 PM
(6 ITbs? wow!!)

lol

Yeah, 6 externals but all about 70% full.

dcbullet
2010-11-08, 11:37 AM
Usually this comes from the files being buried in a bunch of really long named directories. All the directory names count towards the maximum length restriction. You can try changing the top level directory names temporarily.