PDA

View Full Version : n00b question FM capture cards..

Autumn Nocturne
2005-06-24, 06:45 AM
So my friend is building me a new system soon and i was wondering if these FM tuner/capture cards are suitable for recording then sharing live shows

I think i've seen shows being shared that are recorded this way,but i'm not sure

If they are ok,anything i should know/consider when choosing one?

Autumn Nocturne
2005-07-01, 06:14 PM
*bump :confused:

Five
2005-07-01, 07:11 PM
I believe all the broadcasts you could capture are lossy. Is there an exception to this? Anyhow, lossy broadcasts aren't allowed at TTD but are allowed some other places so long as they are the best circulating source.

4candles
2005-07-01, 07:21 PM
I believe all the broadcasts you could capture are lossy. Is there an exception to this? Anyhow, lossy broadcasts aren't allowed at TTD but are allowed some other places so long as they are the best circulating source.

I thought recordings from FM were allowed? I agree it's lossy, but thought they were acceptable?

Five
2005-07-01, 07:43 PM
If the station only broadcasts in lossy it is not allowed here. If it can be captured analog or lossy the analog will be allowed unless it too is sourced from lossy.

Of course all the FM stuff before lossy radio is fine and the stuff that has made it thru clean since then is fine, too.

the only lossy we currently accept is AC3 on DVDs (altho we prefer wav audio) and MD masters (recorded at the show, not somewhere down the chain or from fm).

4candles
2005-07-01, 07:50 PM
If the station only broadcasts in lossy it is not allowed here. If it can be captured analog or lossy the analog will be allowed unless it too is sourced from lossy.

Of course all the FM stuff before lossy radio is fine and the stuff that has made it thru clean since then is fine, too.

the only lossy we currently accept is AC3 on DVDs (altho we prefer wav audio) and MD masters (recorded at the show, not somewhere down the chain or from fm).

I'm sorry, I'm getting even more confused. FM has always been lossy, what's changed?

Or are you using "FM" to mean radio in general (both analogue and digital), and "lossy" to refer to digital radio?

Five
2005-07-01, 08:21 PM
I'm using lossy in the sense of mp3 (or mp3-like) encoding. many stations are broadcasting in .mp2 and even the analog broadcast is sourced from this.

by lossless radio I am referring to audio that has never been converted to mp3 (or mp3-like) format somewhere along the line.