PDA

View Full Version : Dudes!!!!!! HELP!!!!

BEST4T1
2005-06-20, 09:30 PM
Just tried to install software on my NEW computer - I have d/l tons of shows on my old one. Q: does a router screw up the ability to d/l from etree or here? I tried bit torrent, shadow, and I am screwed. I even opened up some ports 6881-6889.

What am I doing wrong? It was NEVER this hard. HELP!!!!!

BEST4T1
2005-06-20, 10:00 PM
I have comcast broadband and a BELKIN Pre-N router # F5D8230-4

AAR.oner
2005-06-20, 10:08 PM
i wish i could help, but i'm not so savvy with the router issues...hopefully someone else can come along with more answers, but...
if you have Windows XP's internal firewall enabled, try disabling it [it gave me problems back in the day]...other than that, look up any of U2Lynne's posts and click on her "router config" link in her sig...that should help--hopefully...if not, sorry i couldn't be of more help...

spursfan
2005-06-20, 11:24 PM
I am still trying to figure out how to find the fowarding page so I can open the ports on my router. any help?

Five
2005-06-21, 01:15 AM
try portforward.com

Lynne will probably drop by tomorrow with the answers, she knows this stuff best

iamhydrogen
2005-06-21, 01:19 AM
try portforward.com

Lynne will probably drop by tomorrow with the answers, she knows this stuff best
that site is where it is at.

iamhydrogen
2005-06-21, 01:23 AM
here is a link fdor the 7230, i did not see the 8230 listed. it should be pretty much the same tough, as it is pretty standard procedure for most routers. hope it helps. http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4/BitTorrent.htm

spursfan
2005-06-21, 01:29 AM
here is a link fdor the 7230, i did not see the 8230 listed. it should be pretty much the same tough, as it is pretty standard procedure for most routers. hope it helps. http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Belkin/F5D7230-4/BitTorrent.htm

thanks, i'll give it a shot.

i have a Linksys router. directions tell me to go to advance and then fowarding, but i do not see the fowarding tab. that's where i am stuck.

spursfan
2005-06-21, 01:39 AM
I figured out how to get to the linksys product i have and follow the instructions but it does not send me to the page with the tab for forwarding.

U2Lynne
2005-06-21, 10:00 AM
Kim (and others), when you have problems with forwarding your ports, it helps if we know your OS (because XP has it's own built-in firewall), your router and/or modem type, and your bittorrent client (because bittornado actually defaults to a wide range of ports for use (I think it was bittornado)). Also, some types people are set up for DHCP, which basically gives a different local IP to the computers on your home network based on when they are turned on. These are all factors we need to take a look at.

Kim, what OS and what bittorrent client are you using? You said you already forwarded the ports, is that just in your router? Can you do an ipconfig and get us your local IP (it will look something like 192.168.1.xxx).

Spursfan, which linksys router do you have? Which tabs are available under advanced? And then, what OS and what bittorrent client?

spursfan
2005-06-21, 01:08 PM
Spursfan, which linksys router do you have? Which tabs are available under advanced? And then, what OS and what bittorrent client?

WRT54G Wireless - G

Setup - Wireless - Security- Access Resolution - Application and Gaming - Administration - Status

Basic Setup - DDNS - MAC Address Clone - Advanced Routing

OS - Millinium

Bit Torrent Tornado

U2Lynne
2005-06-21, 01:23 PM
It sounds like you need to go to Applications and Gaming to set it up. See this page on portforward.com (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54Gv1.1/BitTornado.htm)

spursfan
2005-06-21, 01:48 PM
It sounds like you need to go to Applications and Gaming to set it up. See this page on portforward.com (http://portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Linksys/WRT54Gv1.1/BitTornado.htm)

What a dumbass. I have been on that page most of the night and I never saw the Port Range Forwarding link. Thanks, I am going to shut it down and see if it works.

spursfan
2005-06-21, 03:15 PM
The page on portforwarding.com are different than the website. I get to the port range forwarding but everything is different as far as where to put the numbers. I tried it and saved it, but then the numbers are cleared. I will try once againa nd see what happens.

Ted
2005-06-21, 03:37 PM
I posted this link in the other thread, but I'll post it here also. If it's not the same as what you have, let us know. When a company updates their firmware, they sometimes change things around a little and that may be why things look different to you.
BTW, I know you said you were following U2Lynne's advise from this thread, so I won't reply to the other threads any longer. We should keep all further discussion for you in this thread. It can get confusing for all of us to try to remember who said what - where.

http://www.linksys.com/support/top10faqs/wrt54g/Port%20forwarding%20or%20opening%20ports%20on%20the%20WRT54G.asp

The reason portforward.com might not have the "correct" info is because Linksys is constantly updating/changing firmware to address security and other issues. I'm sure it's the same for other routers on that site too. It would take a lot of time to keep track of all of the hardware/software updates that they give help for.

EDIT: If you're still having problems after looking at the link to Linksys that I posted, if possible, take a screenshot of the port forwarding settings page and it'll make it easier for us to help you. If not possible, no worries - we'll get it eventually.

spursfan
2005-06-21, 03:53 PM
Thanks Ted. Are the numbers used for Bit Torrent Tornado Start 6881 - End 6889 I just want to make sure to use the correct numbers before I save it. Also on Application from what I understand since I use BT Tornado, in the application box I am supposed to put Tornado1.

spursfan
2005-06-21, 04:00 PM
it also mentions a static ip address. do i need to do this before i start?

Ted
2005-06-21, 04:12 PM
The numbers you have are correct, as long as you haven't changed them in Bitornado. Those are the "port" numbers. In the "Application" box, just put anything you want - it's only a description so you know what program you forwarded those ports to. Protocol - you only need to enable for TCP. UDP is not used by bitorrent. You don't have to use a static IP - just enter the one you got from "ipconfig". If, in the future, you find that you can't up/download, do the "ipconfig" thing again and put the new IP in your router settings. It would be too much to try to explain how to make a static IP right here. Soon (hopefully), I'll be making a tutorial for TTD that will explain static IPs and a whole lot more.

I don't remember if you mentioned whether you have cable, DSL, or whatever. If cable, you probably won't have to worry about the IP too often. If something else, let me know and I'll fix you up with another method, if your IP changes too often.

spursfan
2005-06-21, 04:14 PM
sorry, i have cable. i am going to try it now and let you know what happens. thanks.

spursfan
2005-06-21, 04:49 PM
no it didn't work. i still cannot get a seed. it stays on the yellow status light and i still have no upload rate and my dl rate is single digits. i will run it for a while and see if it changes. thanks.

Ted
2005-06-21, 05:17 PM
Ok, a quick checklist to make sure you've done everything:

BT Client

1) Check your BT client's settings and make note of the ports used.
2) Make sure you've given yourself enough upload/download bandwidth. Some clients allow you to change it.

Router

1) Check that you forwarded the same port(s) that your BT client is set to use. Enable those ports for TCP traffic.
2) Do the "ipconfig" thing and get your IP address and make sure it matches the one in the "forwarding" section.
3) Make sure to check the "Enable" box (or similarly named) in the forwarding section.

Software Firewall

If you're using a software firewall such as Windows built-in, ZoneAlarm, Norton Internet Security, or McAfee (or another one), make sure you opened those same ports as for the router an also enable for TCP traffic.

If you still have problems, to make it easier to eliminate what is causing the problem, if you still have one, disable the software firewall and see if you can torrent. If not, re-enable it and bypass the router. If you can torrent, then THAT'S where the problem is. If you still can't, turn off the software firewall AND disconnect the router. If it doesn't work, then your client is the problem.

If none of that works, we'll try something else.

EDIT: I forgot to mention, make sure you're trying to get a show that actually has a seed. I'd try downloading a very popular one that has four or five seeds (or more) and lots of leechers. Once you get it working, then quit and go grab the one you want.

spursfan
2005-06-21, 06:47 PM
I will try to answer each of your questions, but there are some I do not have an answer for.

BT Client
not sure about the settings. they are the default settings, as far as i know
i haven't changed or messed with bandwidth

Router hope this works

spursfan
2005-06-21, 06:58 PM
here is the page from linksys

spursfan
2005-06-21, 07:00 PM
i have to head out. i will contact you when i return later. i appreciate all of the help.
Jesse

Ted
2005-06-21, 08:40 PM
Your problem is the IP address. Go to Command Prompt and type "Ipconfig" without the quotes and get your IP address. Enter the last digits into the settings box in your router. It shold be a 3-digit number between 100 and 254.

If you have the default installation of your BT client, then everything else I mentioned should be ok.

spursfan
2005-06-22, 09:35 AM
I am trying to figure out where the setting box is. Will it be available on the website?

Ted
2005-06-22, 10:05 AM
It's the page you posted. Didn't you get that from your router?

EDIT: MY mistake. I just re-read your previous post. To get to the settings for your router, open a browser and in the address filed, type: http://192.168.1.1 and enter admin for both name and password. You'll now be in your settings for the router.

U2Lynne
2005-06-22, 10:06 AM
The Setting Box he is talking about is the one in the Gaming tab where you put in the IP you want the ports forwarded to.

Ted
2005-06-22, 10:11 AM
The Setting Box he is talking about is the one in the Gaming tab where you put in the IP you want the ports forwarded to.Yes. I thought the page he posted was a screenshot from his router. Apparently it's from Linksys' site.

spursfan - this is really simple. It really is, but if you're new to it, then it can seem a little complicated. Don't get discouraged, we'll get you fixed up soon. If you use ICQ, AIM, or MSN, contact me there and this will move along a lot faster. I know you're probably puilling your hair out by now :p

spursfan
2005-06-22, 03:31 PM
This is what I have

Ted
2005-06-22, 04:52 PM
That is correct, assuming you have the correct IP (from "ipconfig").

Are you still having problems? If so, bypass the router and connect directly to the modem, if possible (you'll have to reboot your computer). If you can torrent, then we know where the problem is. If not, then the router is no longer the problem and we can go from there.

spursfan
2005-06-22, 05:08 PM
I did as you instructed. That was the number I got. I am not getting any upload rate. After I did all of this, I rebooted and even disconnect the router. I then waited and restarted everything. Yeah, it's driving me nuts. Problem is I need the router for lesson plans and such. I may just get rid of it and use one computer. I do appreciate all of the help.
Jesse

Ted
2005-06-22, 07:13 PM
I only meant to disconnect the router temporarily to determine whether or not it is the problem. If you did that, and you're still not getting anything, check to see if you have a software firewall (sorry, but I don't remember if you did or not). Check your start menu for anything by Norton, McAfee, ZoneLabs, or maybe you're using the Windows firewall. To check for that, go to the start menu and click on Settings/Control Panel/Network Connections/Local Area Connection, then click on the Properties button/Advanced tab and make sure the box is unchecked. That is the Windows firewall.

Now see if you can torrent. (bypass the router again, too). We'll just try it first with a straight connection to the modem. Also, verify that there are still seeds/leechers for the torrent file that you're using.

spursfan
2005-06-22, 07:24 PM
I do not have a firewall. I diconnected the router and my up/dl speeds are fine. I am currently dl'ing a show and it has 6 seeds. Everything is working as it should.

Ted
2005-06-22, 07:44 PM
Great. Good to hear it's finally working for you. I don't know why the router is giving you problems. If you want to try working on that later, let me know. I'll be happy to try to get the problem solved.

spursfan
2005-06-22, 08:13 PM
Great. Good to hear it's finally working for you. I don't know why the router is giving you problems. If you want to try working on that later, let me know. I'll be happy to try to get the problem solved.

Thanks, I'll keep you in mind. I'm just going to discontinue using the router.

U2Lynne
2005-06-22, 09:14 PM
What could be the problem is that you may not have a static local IP. Take a look at this link about lindsys routeres. The first thing they talk about is making sure your local IP is static, not dynamic. http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

spursfan
2005-06-22, 09:58 PM
What could be the problem is that you may not have a static local IP. Take a look at this link about lindsys routeres. The first thing they talk about is making sure your local IP is static, not dynamic. http://www.linksys.com/tech_helper/advanced.html

i saw that earlier but i am not to confident in doing that. i am just going to take the router off, but i thank you for all of your help.
Jesse

Ted
2005-06-22, 10:02 PM
The static IP is only comes into play after the lease is up for the current one. In most cases (statistically), the same IP will be issued, since there aren't a lot of computers booting up and getting leases.

If he checked ipconfig and more or less immediately put that IP in the router, there should be no problem - he'd have the same IP. It's after a reboot that the IP "may" change. Of course, it could never hurt to try it anyway.

Thanks for the reminder. I almost forgot to include that into my list for the tutorial.