PDA

View Full Version : volume envelopes in Audacity

omniscient_1
2010-09-10, 10:42 PM
I listen to a lot of folk music and the sudden loud applause after - or even worse, during - quiet passages is really annoying. Is there an easy way to reduce the applause using audacity without also reducing any music that is playing at the same time as the applause?

dcbullet
2010-09-10, 10:59 PM
No.

Thulani
2010-09-11, 03:58 AM
After the band finished a song you can reduce the applause volume using the amplification effect or the envelope tool. Search on youtube for tutorials how to use those tools.

omniscient_1
2010-09-11, 04:21 PM
No.

This is the same answer I came up with because using a volume envelope in Audacity to reduce loud applause reduces the entire spectrum, not just the loudest passages.

With that in mind, are there is there any other software that can reduce the volume of a passage without reducing the entire spectrum? I guess what I'm envisioning is something that would allow me to simply cut off the top of the loud passage and leave the softer portions of that same passage intact?

toki
2010-09-11, 05:04 PM
try goldwave, it isnt free but there is a free trial and its one of the better audio software out there.

omniscient_1
2010-09-12, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the suggestion!

fool2000
2010-09-12, 12:02 PM
the tool you want is a limiter, not a compressor or amp envelope.
i use the one in digital performer (it has look-ahead) but any one will do.
the threshold is set above the level of the music and all sound above that point is reduced at a 1 to 1 ratio.
good luck