PDA

View Full Version : New VLC sucks!?

jabulon
2010-09-01, 10:54 AM
I always liked and preferenced VLC over other (video) media players, but lately I noticed that the new(er) version of VLC started to have more and more problems, like crashes, showing footage in a wrong aspect ratio etc. Since I downgraded VLC to version 1.0.0 I have not had these issues any more. Anybody else experiencing problems with the newer versions of VLC?

Thulani
2010-09-01, 12:27 PM
Never liked the program.

Audioarchivist
2010-09-01, 01:28 PM
Yes, I did notice the wrong aspect ratio stuff going on. Thought it was the videos I was watching. I had to force it to play wide or 4x3 depending what it was - whatever the default setting is used to seem to work at decyphering the right one just fine...

daddyray
2010-09-01, 01:54 PM
I lack an alternative so I use it a bit still.

Teembo
2010-09-01, 02:14 PM
Media Player Classic
is a good alternative

daddyray
2010-09-01, 02:29 PM
Mac user

jabulon
2010-09-01, 03:01 PM
Never liked the program.

that wasn't really my question, but thanks for the input.

Media Player Classic is a good alternative

I'm using that at the moment, I only use VLC for taking snaps

Mac user

Rob, how about apple's own QuickTime?

paddington
2010-09-01, 03:16 PM
VLC has always sucked.
MediaPlayerClassic beats the shit out of it.

daddyray
2010-09-01, 03:31 PM
Apple's crashtime sucks as well

jabulon
2010-09-01, 04:08 PM
VLC has always sucked.
James, you do know that you (TTD) recommend it as dvd-video player for windows at the faq section?

ffooky
2010-09-01, 04:46 PM
Movist (http://code.google.com/p/movist/) or MPlayer OSX Extended (http://mplayerosx.sttz.ch/) are decent enough Mac alternatives, particularly the former but VLC is fine in my book.

U2Lynne
2010-09-01, 07:20 PM
I had always thought it was great. But, this summer I had a couple of problems with it. I do still have the Mac DVD Player around for a backup (which is OK most of the time).

Wolf
2010-09-02, 06:41 AM
media player classic with klite codec pack <--- plays almost any codec/file every made. plays hd, blue-ray, even those shitty apple mov files etc... just gotta have the codec

co9ol
2010-09-02, 06:15 PM
Apple's crashtime sucks as well

Can't say I've ever had Quicktime crash on me before, but I do use VLC for most non native stuff.

sanpablobay
2010-09-03, 01:07 AM
vlc sucks. i have had nothing but problems with every version. i get better results using nero showtime.

Gregster75
2010-09-03, 07:20 PM
I agree, the newer versions are really awful. I might try a downgrade...

Aimee Wilbury
2010-09-03, 10:40 PM
I use Media Player Classic as my main one. The thing VLC is real good for IMHO is portability. if you get a portable version for a USB stick you dont have to worry about the computer youre using having the right codecs or whatever.

thebigguyconnor
2010-09-03, 11:20 PM
I love Media Player Classic's decoding, but the options for deinterlacing on MPC are a bit limited and are based on what type of codecs you have installed on your system, and what type of deinterlacers those codecs have built-in. Vlc's deinterlacer is manual, so i like that.

Also the dvd interface/controls (the chapter skip option, and the menu button) are better laid out in VLC, I think!

Over all, I'd say that VLC is good for Standard Definition stuff and that for HD/H.264, you should use MPC. But of course we're talking about macs here, so you don't really have the MPC option :S.

Aimee Wilbury
2010-09-04, 07:17 PM
I like the ffmpeg decoders. I havent had much trouble with them, except for explorer occasionally crashing on thumbnail generation (and Im not sure if its caused by that or some other thing in K-Lite). Sometimes I found VLC can play fussy files that MPC/ffmpeg hiccups over, usually with some crazy codec or another.

bootray
2010-09-05, 01:19 PM
Yes, VLC does play fussy files.
Also VLC is less prone to lock up when jamming repeatably the time slider.

direwolf-pgh
2010-09-05, 03:29 PM
no issues to comment on :hmm: and the latest version now exits memory properly in Win 7

paddington
2010-09-05, 08:10 PM
VLC has always sucked.
James, you do know that you (TTD) recommend it as dvd-video player for windows at the faq section?

It's fine for DVD video, as an alternative to something like Nero Showtime or other pay-type players.

MediaPlaylerClassic will play the VOBs fine, but doesn;t have DVD player-like functionality. There is an MPC Home Theater edition that does a better job, though.

Do you think it should be removed from the FAQ? It certainly isn't the catch it used to be when the FAQ was written.

ErikFox
2010-09-06, 01:25 AM
I had many problems playing FLV files with the new version of the player. Every time i play a FLV file it freezes every few seconds. It was annoying. But it worked perfectly with the old version ;)

jabulon
2010-09-06, 09:06 AM
MediaPlaylerClassic will play the VOBs fine, but doesn;t have DVD player-like functionality. There is an MPC Home Theater edition that does a better job, though.
I'm using MPC-HC 1.3.2189.0 at the moment and this has dvd player-like functionality (it will let you navigate through Title/Root/Audio/Chapter menu etc.)

Do you think it should be removed from the FAQ? It certainly isn't the catch it used to be when the FAQ was written.
I wouldn't go so far as to remove VLC as a video player for windows (or Mac) from your faq, may be you could just remove the annotation of RECOMMENDED and give MPC-HC as alternative?

paddington
2010-09-06, 11:06 AM
I think that's a reasonable suggestion. I'll bring it up.

Toadinohio
2010-09-11, 03:05 PM
I don't have any problems with VLC 1.0.5 but I don't have a use for too many crazy file types, just avi, mpeg and playing dvds.
I also use it to play FLAC at times too.