PDA

View Full Version : Splitting one .wav file into tracks

ScUmFoX
2010-07-05, 11:47 AM
Hi guys. I've been given the task of converting some cassettes. I have all the gear, most of the knowledge, the programs, etc. I've done it before, but only a single song on a tape or some demo I've recorded on my tape deck and haven't taken very seriously. Now I'm going to have to convert a couple full shows and I need an easy, TTD approved way of splitting on large .wav into several tracks. I've previously been using an audio/video converter to trim the raw file, bit by bit, and convert the trimmed file back to .wav.

I have Audacity and Flac Frontend installed on my computer. I haven't used Audacity much. I'm sure I could use Audacity to do what I'm talking about, but I've only used it once.

Thanks in advance.

AAR.oner
2010-07-05, 11:59 AM
To track in Audacity:
1. Open your wave file, Edit->Move Cursor...->Track Start and hit command-B.
2. Locate all your track splits and mark each one by hitting command-B.
3. Go to File->Export Multiple, select WAV as the export format, Split files based on:Labels, Name files:Numbering consecutively, hit Export.

You'll now have a nice set of consecutively numbered split tracks but they are not cut on sector boundaries. Use Traders Little Helper:

4. Open TLH and go to its fix SBE tab.
5. Add your freshly split WAV's, making extra sure that they appear in the correct order. Ignore the MD5 options, select your output format of choice and hit the Fix button.

mdshrk1
2010-07-05, 01:23 PM
Or, use CD Wave Editor, which does split on SBs.

Thulani
2010-07-05, 01:51 PM
Audacity can also split on sector boundary.

He only needs to check the 'Snap to' box & modify the time to 'CDDA frames'

AAR.oner
2010-07-05, 02:03 PM
Audacity can also split on sector boundary.

He only needs to check the 'Snap to' box & modify the time to 'CDDA frames'

true, however i'd still check em in TLH for SBEs just in case...i've had a few instances where they didn't cut properly [i think it was a beta release tho, so that coulda been the problem]

AAR.oner
2010-07-05, 02:04 PM
Or, use CD Wave Editor, which does split on SBs.

anyway one of ya'll could work up a quick step-by-step for ding this in CD Wave Editor?

i run Macs and havent ever used that program...it'd be nice for us to have a quick run down to post when PC users ask this question

cheers!

dcbullet
2010-07-06, 11:31 AM
anyway one of ya'll could work up a quick step-by-step for ding this in CD Wave Editor?

i run Macs and havent ever used that program...it'd be nice for us to have a quick run down to post when PC users ask this question

cheers!

There is nothing to it. You just click where you want to split the track and it automatically goes to the sector boundary.

mdshrk1
2010-07-07, 10:38 AM
1. Open .wav file.
2. Place red marker where split occurs.
3. Click split button.
4. Repeat as needed.
5. When the .wav file split is complete, save files in appropriate folder

Horace
2010-07-08, 07:49 AM
EAC does this quite easily and creates a CUE sheet as well.
Peace,
Horace