PDA

View Full Version : Non standard GOP length

screen54
2010-06-26, 04:56 AM
Just wondering what people think.

More and more DVB-S broadcasts in Europe are showing up with a GOP length of more than 15. If a DVD is made from these video files without any alterations, the resulting disc will not be strictly PAL standard. TMPEG DVD Author will alter the GOP length to give a compliant DVD. IFOEdit will happily bump out a disc without these alterations.

Both play fine on most DVD players and in truth, I can't see any difference.

Is altering the GOP length considered re-encoding or is it just like resetting the header flags? Do we make compliant discs or not?

Thoughts and advice appreciated.

Cheers,
G.

AAR.oner
2010-06-26, 11:53 AM
no, altering GOPs is not re-encoding

screen54
2010-06-26, 04:28 PM
Thank you for the reassurance. Compliant discs it is then :D

DanielG
2010-06-27, 11:25 AM
no, altering GOPs is not re-encoding

Are you sure? This thread over at Doom9 suggests that altering the GOP requires a re-encode.
http://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?p=1336483

AAR.oner
2010-06-27, 12:31 PM
no, i ain't 100% positive since i've never needed to alter GOPs...i know i've *heard* there are ways to go about it without re-encoding the whole stream...i believe DVDSP will do it, but again i've never needed to so........i could be wrong on this one

i'm sure he/she can research a bit and figure out how exactly

personally i would leave it as is...just my .02

Thulani
2010-06-27, 01:26 PM
TMPGENC has that feature which shows which frames are re-encoded. Every time I tried to do some menus with it on a show with non-standard GOPs it shows that re-encodes the files. But after watching the resulting files I don't see any difference in quality.