PDA

View Full Version : Seeding same show on two sites

slewofboots
2010-05-19, 08:35 PM
Is it possible to upload the same set of files both here and at the Dime, instead of taking up HDD space by having two copies of the file sets, one for here and one for there?

-Slew

paddington
2010-05-19, 08:48 PM
I assume you mean simultaneously?

I've done it before. it works fine, as long as you pay attention to what you are doing.

1) get the files like you want them in a folder.
2) Do not change ANYTHING (file names, content, text file - NOTHING)
3) see #2
4) hash your torrent file for TTD, place the file outside the folder (one back / up)
5) hash your torrent file for Dime, place the file outside the folder (one back / up)
6) see #2
7) see #2 again

Start your torrents one at a time. Let the first one hash out to a seed (100%) before starting the next one.

Now, just because you can do something, it doesn't mean you should. Unless you have some huge pipe like FIOS, it's better for the peers if you seed one completely before starting the next one.

slewofboots
2010-05-20, 08:47 AM
I agree, that my 1Mbps upload may not be best suited for seeding two initial torrents simultaneously, but I was just curious. The reason is that I like to hook folks up at DIME and here at the sime time when I start a torrent of one of my own recordings...
Thanks James, and sorry about uploading the not-allowed Scofield yesterday!

sanpablobay
2010-05-20, 09:20 AM
dime doesn't allow multi-tracker torrents. i've tried.

slewofboots
2010-05-20, 11:33 AM
Well shit, that explains why it didn't work...

dcbullet
2010-05-20, 06:35 PM
dime doesn't allow multi-tracker torrents. i've tried.

You don't need to make a multi-tracker .torrent file to do this. You make two separate .torrent files. They just look in the same directory for the data. It works fine with Dime.

slewofboots
2010-05-20, 06:49 PM
Ah, ok. This confirms what JamesKG wrote. Thanks!

trustthex
2010-05-20, 11:23 PM
utorrent can handle multiple trackers simultaneously on a single torrent. I've done it multiple times, bridging etree, ttd & dime. Create seperate torrents & upload them, then run them in utorrent, the first one will ask you to point to a directory, after that it will just ask if you want to add the tracker to the active torrent.

Success.

:wave:

bestatworms2
2010-05-22, 11:19 AM
the only problem is that dime used MD5 files, TTD doesn't want Md5 files on audio. so you have to make 2 seperate torrents, one with MD5 for dime and one ST5 for TTD

rspencer
2010-05-22, 12:01 PM
No, you don't. We don't disallow MD5 files; we just don't consider them as filling the checkfile requirement.

One directory. Include an MD5, and an ffp or ST5.

dcbullet
2010-05-23, 10:31 AM
Since when does Dime request md5? I've never created them once for Dime. Is this something new? I've always used ffp.

rspencer
2010-05-23, 10:33 AM
They require one or the other. Just like us requiring ST5 or ffp.

dcbullet
2010-05-23, 01:23 PM
So we can pretty much ignore his post then...

slewofboots
2010-05-24, 02:03 PM
the only problem is that dime used MD5 files, TTD doesn't want Md5 files on audio. so you have to make 2 seperate torrents, one with MD5 for dime and one ST5 for TTD

This is incorrect. I upload to DIME all the time and they require a .ffp file OR an MD5 file.

One thing that is stupid about their .ffp requirement is that you have to rename your fingerprint .txt file that FLAC creates for you to .ffp otherwise they block the upload. Talk about shitty programmers over there...

trustthex
2010-05-25, 01:04 PM
.ffp is automatically registered to TLH upon installation (winders only I suppose); which is probably why they have that prerequisite. There are many different tools, i still find myself using mkwact on occasion.

sanpablobay
2010-06-03, 12:56 PM
You don't need to make a multi-tracker .torrent file to do this. You make two separate .torrent files. They just look in the same directory for the data. It works fine with Dime.

i just tried this here & it doesn't seem to be working. i already had a torrent going on etree & decided to upload it here as well. i did what you said & i'm not seeding here.

edit: i'm seeding now. but, only because it finished at etree & i had to restart the torrent to get it going here.

dcbullet
2010-06-03, 07:02 PM
I don't know what to tell you.

sanpablobay
2010-06-04, 09:20 AM
I don't know what to tell you.

it started seeding on both after i did the restart. it was actually more than just a restart. i had to delete it from my client, then re-drag and drop the personalized one from here into the client before it would seed here/on both trackers.