PDA

View Full Version : Color to B&W conversion

vladsmythe
2010-05-15, 08:25 PM
I have a great show that was videotaped with the chroma messed up. It looks awesome except its only colr is red. I watch it with color turned off and it is excellent. Any way to author it in black and white on a PC?

After searching all day with no solution I decided to ask here.

Thanks!

AAR.oner
2010-05-16, 09:35 AM
pretty much any NLE prog should be able to do that...but you might be able to fix the color using color correction/RGB balance/etc

vladsmythe
2010-05-17, 08:25 AM
I tried a bunch of free software/free trial software yesterday. Either the output was not VOB or it had a watermark on it. I may just upload it as a pink video and let someone else fix it. Other than the color, it's a fine video with excellent sound and clear close-ups. Grateful Dead Tempe, AZ 12-9-90

AAR.oner
2010-05-17, 10:19 AM
yeah, ya get what ya pay for, & "freeware" in the video world is a complete waste of time...you'd need a dedicated NLE suite to fix something like that [Final Cut, Avid, Premiere, Vegas, etc]

why not try askin one of the GD transferers about fixing the color and authoring [Brokedown House, Less Than Face, etc] -- they do a good job and if its uncirculated i'm sure one of em would be interested

vladsmythe
2010-05-17, 11:19 AM
Yes I know. I'm getting the kid a Mac for school. I'll use final cut pro and do it then. Thanks for the advice.

AAR.oner
2010-05-17, 12:02 PM
here's a good basic tutorial for color correction once you get into Final Cut :thumbsup

http://www.kenstone.net/fcp_homepage/cc_legal_fcp4.html

lordsmurf
2010-05-19, 05:38 PM
Ideally, you'd want to strip chroma at the VCR or hardware level. It should also be re-corrected via proc amp for contrast (luma+IRE) and gamma (luma). The NLE can strip color, but it will have the noise artifacts. The hardware chroma stripping won't have artifacts.

I only do transfers like this for pay, but if there are reliable traders here that are willing to help you, I'd go that route first -- not a software "fix" (quotes because it's not truly a fix).

Good luck.