PDA

View Full Version : cd cover dimensions

bestatworms2
2010-04-27, 06:03 PM
i have searched all over the net, including here but could not find a proper answer on what the dimensions of a cd cover are. Every site there is a different number. I know there is a template someone posted here but just to make sure will it be the proper size to perfectly fit in a jewel case? if not, does anyone with lots of experience know the exact dimensions of the following:

- CD front cover for jewelcase
- CD back cover for jewelcase (including spines)
- Booket. Im assuming the booklet for cd jewel case is same size as front cover?
- DVD cover including spines
- DVD Booklet

thanks a lot. just that every site gives you different numbers. I tried printing but it was too big and ink is expensive. Need an exact dimension, you know the same dimensions they use for studio albums

bestatworms2
2010-04-27, 06:09 PM
oh yeah, also what DPI should it be? 300, 200 or 72. thanks

br1ttas
2010-04-27, 07:54 PM
Just a suggestion but why dont you use Nero cd cover designer to print them off ?
There is also something similar with the Roxio burning software,I dont install or use anything else of the package,just a custom install is required. DONT install the burner package if you already have one installed.

norocker
2010-04-27, 09:39 PM
Tried to find this out myself, with no luck. I even took all the measurements from a official cd and put that into a program and it still wasn't right. I was told to use nero from many people and do. The biggest limitation is that it won't let you print a front cover that is connected to a booklet. They must be printed separately which is a real pain sometimes. Good luck and let us know what you find that works.

tonebloke
2010-04-28, 12:24 AM
Try Pochette Express 2.0. It has all correct dimensions built in.

bluebomber
2010-04-28, 03:58 AM
I use a measuring tape and measure the case.....

lintoni
2010-04-28, 04:19 AM
Undercoverxp is another freeware program for printing covers (CD, DVD, VHS, Playstation, Nintendo, Wii....)

co9ol
2010-04-28, 07:12 AM
I agree that taking a measurement isn't always right on, but if your programs don't work for you, then measuring is the best way. Just be sure to be very very exact when you are or else they will be off. Also I suggest printing off a little extra just in case. Photoshop away!

AAR.oner
2010-04-28, 07:26 AM
DVD: 278mm x 190mm w/ bleed [exact trimmed dimension are 272mm x 184mm]
CD Cover: 127mm x 126mm [trimmed 121mm x 120mm]
CD Tray: 157mm x 124mm [trimmed is 151mm x 118mm]

here are some photoshop templates for both CD and DVDs [reg and slim]

Karst
2010-04-29, 04:40 AM
what AAR says :)

If you are using a home printer, it often is trial and error. Certainly when you try to do double sided. If you are cutting it then try to use crop marks. You can download some of my stuff to see the dimensions. And for the best result, yes it needs to be 300dpi.

Doing a multipage booklet is probably too complicated for home printers. You need to adjust bleed and margins to fit, certainly for the size that it is. You can try a local printers if they do small runs and slice it properly. It will cost you though.

I've set all my stuff up for double sided. And plenty of margin in case the alignment of the printer is off. And if you're worried about the ink, try to stick to grayscale printing.