PDA

View Full Version : First it was a DDoS attack and then my power went out...

U2Lynne
2005-06-06, 10:22 PM
As for what happened today to the site, I guess first our host had a DDoS attack (https://www.mypacket.com/). Then, when they came back, our database was not letting anyone post. So, I rebooted that server (we have two servers now) and it didn't want to come back online. So, I put in a Support Ticket and then.... a huge *pop* was heard very close by and our power went out. I stepped out on the balconey to see what happened and a fire was starting in a tree across a nearby street. Called 911, firetrucks arrive, talk to neighbor.... a branch in the tree had fallen onto a high power line and caused the power outage. Three hours later.... my power comes back on and I try to find out what's up. The site is still down but I can finally ping the second server. However, mysql is throwing errors all over. I looked into that problem and finally got it fixed.

Bottom line, we are back up and I hate servers more than ever. Anyone want to be my Server Admin? :D

brainysod
2005-06-07, 01:48 AM
This should be entitled "a day in the life of U2Lynne" :lol

nice one on bringing it back :clap:

scottstrades
2005-06-07, 05:05 AM
Bottom line, we are back up and I hate servers more than ever. :lol

Good work, both in reporting the fire and with getting the Den back up.

elmerbumpkin
2005-06-07, 08:42 AM
that situation makes a letter from a lawyer look like a walk in the park.....

nice work, and a resounding "NO" to yer question......

Ted
2005-06-07, 08:47 AM
Yes, good work - and I don't envy your responsibility at all.

enajh2
2005-07-03, 06:49 PM
I thought it was my torrents!! :D This is the first time I've been able to get on here since last night :lmao: :rolleyes:

Ted
2005-07-03, 06:55 PM
I thought it was my torrents!! :D This is the first time I've been able to get on here since last night :lmao: :rolleyes:Glad you can make it back on :)

This is an older thread. The problem last night was the flood of new members (and old ones) for the Live 8 downloads. It also may have been attributed partially to the new tracker. I hear trackers can suck the resources of a server, but that's only what I heard somewhere else. I have no direct knowledge of that.

enajh2
2005-07-04, 04:26 PM
I thought I might have read the date wrong but then the 6th July hasn't happened yet!! :hmm: :lmao: