PDA

View Full Version : How to get subtitles because morons fail to add them to their files

sharpiee09
2010-03-08, 05:21 PM
Ok so I just spent about 2 hours downloading this video with John Lennon on french tv. I assumed that I would be in english with french subtitles or vice versa but no. Its John Lennon speaking in english with a french overdub. The person who uploaded didn't bother to put a subtitle file for Americans. Anyways does anyone know what I can get to be able to add subtitles to these videos??

It wasn't from this site BTW

paddington
2010-03-08, 05:25 PM
You really expect someone to translate a full video and custom build an English caption stream where none exists? Maybe there just isn't one?

I'm confused. Help me understand?
posted from my blackberry

daddyray
2010-03-08, 05:58 PM
james can't you just go over to his place and translate for him?

TheStraightest
2010-03-08, 06:29 PM
Ok so I just spent about 2 hours downloading this video with John Lennon on french tv. I assumed that I would be in english with french subtitles or vice versa but no. Its John Lennon speaking in english with a french overdub. The person who uploaded didn't bother to put a subtitle file for Americans. Anyways does anyone know what I can get to be able to add subtitles to these videos??

Ooh lah lah!!!

my French is very good. what video is that?

for the record... Ooh-lah-lah'ed twice today :D

sharpiee09
2010-03-08, 07:13 PM
You really expect someone to translate a full video and custom build an English caption stream where none exists? Maybe there just isn't one?

I'm confused. Help me understand?
posted from my blackberry

The least they could of done is made it clear that it was a french overdub. I mean really

rspencer
2010-03-08, 08:53 PM
Damn them! I'd demand a full refund! :D

mooncusser
2010-03-08, 08:56 PM
just write all the English words on the bottom of your TV screen

lordsmurf
2010-03-09, 03:31 AM
We need some of that magic Star Trek software that translates vocals.

Thulani
2010-03-09, 03:41 AM
This was a life lesson. Expect the same with Spanish, Italian or German recordings. They usually dub everything. You should see the movies.

lordsmurf
2010-03-09, 11:49 AM
This was a life lesson. Expect the same with Spanish, Italian or German recordings. They usually dub everything. You should see the movies.
A lot of retail DVDs in Spain and Germany still have the original English tracks, however! France and Italy, not so much.

Some good stuff overseas. :lol:

Branston
2010-03-09, 12:00 PM
Actually, DVD has been a godsend - I've never seen a DVD in Italy that didn't have the original audio track if you wanted it.

By the same token, it was a rare day you got to hear the original audio in the bad old days of VHS.

Thulani
2010-03-09, 12:05 PM
I think I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about TV recordings.

lordsmurf
2010-03-09, 01:11 PM
I think I wasn't clear enough. I was talking about TV recordings.
Sometimes it's in the SAP. :)

Thulani
2010-03-09, 02:40 PM
This is something new. When I was a kid there was nothing like this.

lordsmurf
2010-03-09, 10:33 PM
Sorry, SAP (MTS) is for NTSC.
In PAL, it's NICAM (mono) or A2 "Zweikanalton" (stereo).

You generally only see this on modern digital transmissions, like digital satellite.

ccrider895
2010-03-10, 12:39 AM

You downloaded an interview with John Lennon that was on French TV and you assumed it would be in English. :lol4: I think I see what happened there.

Arrogant American jokes aside, you can buy the darn thing in English in NTSC and on the cheap: http://www.amazon.com/Lennon-Legend-Very-Best-John/dp/B0000DJZ9M

$2.11 +shipping for a brand new copy, if you act quick. The time you'd spend looking for subtitles is surely worth more than that. ;)

Quackers
2010-03-10, 05:48 PM
Either that, or learn French

ccrider895
2010-03-10, 06:06 PM
Whoops, the link changed. :hmm:

If this doesn't work, just google "The U.S. vs. John Lennon (2006)". It's an official release.

http://www.amazon.com/U-S-vs-John-Lennon/dp/B000LP5CX4