PDA

View Full Version : Raising certain instruments in mix?

brainysod
2005-06-02, 04:03 PM
Ok i recorded my band on a simple 2 track machine and i looked back, its an amazing performance but the drums and vocals are too low in the mix, the bass guitar could do with bumping up too, any suggestions on how to do this? So that everything can be heard in the mix? Thanks

Five
2005-06-02, 09:02 PM
there's not a lot you can do about this, really. you can play around with eq or if you're able try a multiband compressor. If the elements of the mix that are too low have nothing else happening in their frequency ranges that helps. Like, say, if you had a recording of just a bass guitar and an electric guitar you could raise/lower the bass since guitar is more of a midrange instrument. For your tape you won't achieve any miraculous results but will be able to improve the balance with a bit of EQ.

uhclem
2005-06-02, 09:51 PM
One of the instruments he wants to adjust is the drums. Good luck.

This is why multi-track recording was invented.

brainysod
2005-06-03, 03:35 AM
One of the instruments he wants to adjust is the drums. Good luck.

This is why multi-track recording was invented.

yeah uhm i dont have a multitrack!? :wtf:

anything would help chums, i will try eq.

Five
2005-06-03, 11:50 AM
If you've got a slot available for a 2nd sound card it is possible to run 4-track on your computer for cheap. You have to compensate for sync a little but beats the old days buying a cassette 4-track for $600.

brainysod
2005-06-03, 03:58 PM
If you've got a slot available for a 2nd sound card it is possible to run 4-track on your computer for cheap. You have to compensate for sync a little but beats the old days buying a cassette 4-track for $600.

ah right, too bad i dont have one of those, will stick with the eq...

rerem
2005-06-04, 06:03 AM
You can get a 4 channel soundcard,such as an M-audio,at newegg for not too much,you likely would get better sound quality,could record straight into your computer

AAR.oner
2005-06-05, 10:12 AM
check this thread...it'll atleast explain what each frequency range is "affecting" when EQing

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=3514