PDA

View Full Version : Newly burned CD-R's not playing back

PhxHorn
2010-01-02, 01:47 PM
I was having trouble with my old burner, and so I bought a new one a couple weeks ago. It seemed to be fine when burning videos, but burning audio is a problem same as it was with the old burner. I'm trying to burn newly decoded wave files to CD-R. TLH says the files are decoded just fine. The burner says everything went fine, but the CD won't play. The player shows one long track, and I get no sound. I've tried the CD in multiple players, and so I don't think it's the players.

I've also tried my old burner, and both the old and new burner says the burn was successful. I used ImgBurn, which seems to be fine.

The only common thread I can think of is the PC itself. Is there any way to trouble shoot this? I'm no expert, though. The decoded wave files do play back fine when I play them on the PC.

PhxHorn
2010-01-02, 02:24 PM
Now this is interesting...I tried playing back the CD-Rs in the new burner, and they all play back. Both the ones burned in the old burner, and in the new burner. They are burned as wave files. So why is it that they won't play on my home CD player, my car CD player, nor my ghetto blaster?

lintoni
2010-01-02, 03:11 PM
Just a stab in the dark, but the other possible common thread is the actual media that you're using to burn. Have you tried a different brand?

Thulani
2010-01-02, 03:13 PM
You burn your CDs as data or as an Audio CD (Red Book)?

PhxHorn
2010-01-02, 03:13 PM
Well, it's Memorex. Always been fine so far, but it's not a bad idea....

daddyray
2010-01-02, 03:16 PM
some files will play in one's computer but not in other "venues." For there are some file types that play in iTunes on one's computer but will not work in an iPod nor will they work as a CD.well at least this is true here.....
what file types are these...wav or mp3 or .shn or what?

peaktime
2010-01-03, 12:24 AM
You have to create a cue sheet to burn audio CDs with IMGBurn, then click on the cue sheet to start burning. If you drop and drag wav files into IMGBurn build mode, it will burn the wavs as data, and cd players won't be able to play them. To create a cue sheet in IMGBurn, go to tools, then click on 'create cue file', then enter the CD text (track names, album name, etc), set the pre-gap to zero for all tracks, then save the file to your desktop, then burn, then :tunes:

tonebloke
2010-01-03, 02:31 AM
You burn your CDs as data or as an Audio CD (Red Book)?

Put one of your burnt CD's in your PC, open MY Computer, right click the drive the CD's in and click "Explore".
If it shows 5 or 6 Kb in size per file it's the wrong format.

PhxHorn
2010-01-03, 02:08 PM
Subway, I think you've hit the nail on the head. I've got the cue sheet window open, but it's not real clear how I enter the info. Is there a FAQ that has detailed info on how to create a cue sheet? I've never heard of such a thing.

lintoni
2010-01-03, 02:11 PM
Try googling:

imgburn burn cd

Never mind, I did it for you:

http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=5555

PhxHorn
2010-01-03, 02:15 PM
Thanks for looking that up. I think it'll be easier to use a different program, now that I know what the problem is. ImgBurn is very very easy for video, but apparently not for audio.

lintoni
2010-01-03, 02:17 PM
I must admit, it's not the most intuitative of apps (yeuch! I sound like a mac user), but it does do the job very well, once you're used to it.

daddyray
2010-01-03, 02:18 PM
hey I'm a mac guy! :lol:

lintoni
2010-01-03, 02:29 PM
:lol4: I know!

PhxHorn
2010-01-03, 02:42 PM
Nero did just fine for the audio CDs, whew! Funny thing is, I can't figure out how to burn a DVD on Nero. So I guess I'm stuck with two applications, but at least I can actually listen *and* watch now....

lintoni
2010-01-03, 02:58 PM
^^^
Again, google is your friend. There are a lot of very easy to follow guides out there.

peaktime
2010-01-03, 04:01 PM
You have to create a cue sheet to burn audio CDs with IMGBurn, then click on the cue sheet to start burning. If you drop and drag wav files into IMGBurn build mode, it will burn the wavs as data, and cd players won't be able to play them. To create a cue sheet in IMGBurn, go to tools, then click on 'create cue file', then drag and drop your wav files into the window, then enter the CD text (track names, album name, etc), set the pre-gap to zero for all tracks, then save the file to your desktop, then burn, then :tunes:

forgot to add the bolded part :duh:

tonebloke
2010-01-04, 12:25 AM
I can't figure out how to burn a DVD on Nero.

With-in Nero you will find "Nero Express". Open that and it takes you to a window that will show - Data, Music, Video/Pictures and Image/Project/Copy (depending on which version of Nero you have).
Click Video/Pictures and in the pane to the right click on DVD-Video Files. In the next window click on "Add" and go to where your "to be burned" files are located. Highlight the files and click "Add" then close that window.
Click "Next", pick your burner and speed and click "Burn".

I've tried to explain this as simply as possible. Any probs, give me a yell.

Five
2010-01-06, 04:44 AM
for maximum simplicity burning audio cdrs check out burrrn (http://www.burrrn.net/?page_id=4). drag and drop the flac files into it, then write the disc.