PDA

View Full Version : Help! Mysterious visual effects on my LCD monitor?

asdf29
2009-12-15, 04:46 PM
Sorry folks, I know of no other forum to ask this.

And I always get great advice from Traders Den.

I have a sorta cheap Hyundai LCD computer monitor.

It has started producing WEIRD psychedelic-looking effects on solid black colors. It looks kinda like christmas lights or something.

FOR EXAMPLE - the VHS tape on the Traders Den logo (above, bottom left),
has this orange/shimmering design pulsating through it. If I scroll, it remains on the VHS tape, so it's not just that square inch of my LCD.

I am not drunk or high....

I have noticed it before, occasionally, on dark/black areas in pictures.

Any ideas? The LCD is only about a year old.

saltman
2009-12-15, 05:03 PM
I've seen some weird things like that before that were memory going bad problems. Like if I had a youtube window open and another window on top it would bleed through and have pulsing affects. Turned out it was bad memory. I thought it was the monitor, then the video card, etc....

I don't think that's good advice.... but I wouldn't assume it was the monitor. Try the monitor on another computer before you make your decision.

asdf29
2009-12-15, 05:17 PM
interesting. memory. that would be a worse problem than the monitor, for me.
thanks! I'll find a way to check into my memory health.

seems like it's getting weird on all dark black areas in pictures, etc.
crazy dancing points of light. it looks cool in a way, but it ain't right.

peaktime
2009-12-16, 04:47 AM
do you use VLC media player? I've noticed these effects when I have a video playing with VLC, then pause it, and then do some quick browsing or whatever. If I close VLC while browsing or using windows, this never happens. Must be VLC doing something funky to the display function.

rspencer
2009-12-16, 04:58 AM
I've noticed that too. Especially if you have something paused in VLC & you're watching YouTube vids.

asdf29
2009-12-16, 11:33 AM
I think it might be PC memory, as saltman said, AND my smplayer (which is just like VLC).

The SMPlayer gets hung up on large movie files, it seems. It freezes and gets into a loop.

It seems to have cleared up for now...I cleared harddrive space, defragged, and rebooted.

It is a weird effect - I almost like it - if I could control it!

Thanks for the replies. I can't find any internet info on this problem.

rherron
2009-12-24, 05:10 AM
Could be the cable connecting the monitor and the PC. I once had what I thought was a monitor going dead. Turned out it was just the cable.

inside'eye
2009-12-24, 05:49 AM
hope this helps

asdf29
2009-12-25, 01:19 AM
that's really cool.

my problem WAS a memory issue, not a monitor issue.

dark black areas of pictures were sorta doing what your Dylan photo is doing above.
it's cool if you intend that to happen, but annoying when you can't control it.

is there a freeware that will make photos do THAT above?

inside'eye
2009-12-26, 05:20 PM
Quite possibly, though can not answer your question on freeware. Sorry.