PDA

View Full Version : Dual Layer and PS3

PY1TE
2009-12-08, 12:35 PM
Trying to watch the Phish Red Rocks DVDs, but cant get past the menu screens.

Plays fine on computer.

Owned so many DVD players in my life time, but don't now where any other are at the moment.

Thanks in advance,
Ben

fluffyhead42
2009-12-08, 01:30 PM
The problem is typically Memorex blank dual layer media. It is omnipresent at Staples, Walmart, Target, etc...But, they are crappy. Even blank Verbatim DVDs have probs. The best I have found are roughly $25/ 25 pack at Office Depot = Blue paper TDK DL DVD.
The best explanation is that we did not make them dvd -compliant (rendered to less than 8,400 kpbs in the video editing software). Lasers and or the players firmware is not taking the bit stream to be compliant with the numbers it is used to seeing.That is also why these do not play well in VLC.
Peace,
Sean

PY1TE
2009-12-08, 02:43 PM
The problem is typically Memorex blank dual layer media. It is omnipresent at Staples, Walmart, Target, etc...But, they are crappy. Even blank Verbatim DVDs have probs. The best I have found are roughly $25/ 25 pack at Office Depot = Blue paper TDK DL DVD.
The best explanation is that we did not make them dvd -compliant (rendered to less than 8,400 kpbs in the video editing software). Lasers and or the players firmware is not taking the bit stream to be compliant with the numbers it is used to seeing.That is also why these do not play well in VLC.
Peace,
Sean

I am using Verbatim. Is "Blue Paper" the model or grade I should be looking for?

Thanks man. They look great on the computer, just want to see them with the big screen and stereo.

jhm
2009-12-09, 09:27 AM
I've not had experience with those TDKs but the Verbatims are supposed to be the best. In my personal experience, the burning software makes a huge difference in terms of "playability" when it comes to dual layer discs. If you are using Windows I highly recommend the free ImgBurn program. You'll have to rip the discs and have the software re-configure the files as an .ISO before you burn, but the resulting burn should be highly compatible with most systems. I've had many dual layer discs that did not work when burned using Nero that worked perfectly using ImgBurn. Just my two cents. Good luck.