PDA

View Full Version : Direct Download Section

PowerWindows
2009-10-26, 05:04 PM
This may have been brought up before. Nevertheless, I'll bring it up again. It would be cool if there was a section where folks could post download links (such as from MegaUpload, RapidShare, etc.) so people could download shows that way. You could still adhere to the rules (having accurate lineage, yada yada yada...). It's an alternative for torrenting.

Just a sujjeschun. :)

direwolf-pgh
2009-10-26, 05:26 PM
start a rapidshare trading social group

daddyray
2009-10-26, 05:27 PM
:nerd:
I think I heard of this somewhere

Five
2009-10-26, 05:44 PM
this is fine by me. just post it in the Piano Bar forum, normal seeding rules apply. if there's enough threads to justify a new forum, we will open a new forum.

retired
2009-10-26, 05:47 PM
There is no need for another forum as there's already "External Torrents" in both ABT & VBT. Just post them there.

Five
2009-10-26, 05:48 PM
yeah Joe but this is not torrents

retired
2009-10-26, 05:48 PM
It's the same thing in principle. Just post them there since they have to abide by the rules anyway. There have been Video seeds posted in there that were upped on Megaupload already.

Five
2009-10-26, 05:55 PM
hmm food for thought

anyhow if its up to our seeding standards for the tracker yet not on the tracker its okay to post it.

this thread is timely as I was planning to share my next show in a similar fashion, and am interested in a rapidshare/megaupload/etc dedicated forum--if there's enough interest.

Five
2009-10-26, 06:17 PM
anybody who doesn't live in a cave has used "ftp replacement sites". bt is old news, rapidshare and the like are cutting edge now. we must embrace the latest technology of filesharing :cool:

I never read the external torrents forums because I am not interested in external torrents. but I am interested in direct downloads. this has been on my mind for a couple of years now.

lets discuss what everybody thinks of lossless live music sharing on ftp replacement sites as an alternative to bit torrent...

retired
2009-10-26, 06:20 PM
I'm just saying there's no need for another forum with very little use. Just take "torrents" out of the title (External Audio & External Video).

Five
2009-10-26, 06:41 PM
well its labeled that way for a reason... we had a 'non bit torrent downloads' forum at STG and it was full of the most garbage you've ever seen. It was the anus of the site, incredible amounts of shit pumping out of that forum. Lynne will tell you when she gets back.

so we need to take a bit of a different approach.

U2Lynne
2009-10-26, 09:08 PM
well its labeled that way for a reason... we had a 'non bit torrent downloads' forum at STG and it was full of the most garbage you've ever seen. It was the anus of the site, incredible amounts of shit pumping out of that forum. Lynne will tell you when she gets back.

so we need to take a bit of a different approach.
Actually, I don't remember that forum at all. :dunno:

I could change the name of the External forums to External Audio Downloads and External Video Downloads if we think there are going to be other types of downloads besides torrents. I just don't recall anyone mentioning wanting to put other types of downloads there. You do have to still go through the Upload page to put stuff up there.

peaktime
2009-10-26, 09:38 PM
ratio free, high speed downloads with no need to beg for seeders :thumbsup

might not be much use for video collectors, as you would have to download from a ton of links and wait around for a long time if you don't have a paid account at a filesharing site, but for shorter audio shows, it would be extremely popular.

direwolf-pgh
2009-10-26, 09:41 PM
agree. deserves a space somewhere

Five
2009-10-26, 09:43 PM
Actually, I don't remember that forum at all. :dunno:
awww now you're making it look like I just made it up or something :duh:

mixing it in with external is just such a big yawn. "direct download section", now that's exciting. there's entire boards & blogs based around this, but they're mostly infested with mp3 garbage and stupid banner ads all over the place. we could do it better, with quality control.

is this one of those times when I'm not making sense? :lol: :wave:

peaktime
2009-10-26, 09:46 PM
those sites are a gas...they are giving away bw like water :lol:

here, get this classic show, in two clicks, in flac @ 1 MBps :lmao:

paddington
2009-10-27, 01:33 AM
what is an 'ftp replacement site' ?

what makes it a 'replacement' rather than just an ftp server?

retired
2009-10-27, 06:43 AM
mixing it in with external is just such a big yawn. "direct download section", now that's exciting.
Torrents, FTP's, Direct downloads...they're ALL External.

U2Lynne
2009-10-27, 09:41 AM
I'd be more than willing to explore new forums for different types of downloads, but at the moment, the only types of External downloads we've had are torrents. If we started getting a bunch of other types, then it would make more sense to open up a new forum, but at the moment it doesn't make much sense.

Five
2009-10-28, 03:28 AM
what is an 'ftp replacement site' ?

what makes it a 'replacement' rather than just an ftp server?
that's what yousendit calls itself... still searching for a generic term for this kind of site :confused:

okay so the writing is on the wall,

uploaders:

post them here:
audio
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55
video
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

"code" the links by using (code) at the beginning and (/code) at the end -- replace round brackets with square ones to make it work.

eg it should make it look something like this:

a link
another link
some more links

spanning rar, zip, 7-zip or hj split (http://www.freebyte.com/hjsplit/), the usual packing methods you see around.

no refering links (eg linkbucks, lix.in etc etc). avoid hosts which are unreliable and slow (<15kbps) for non-paying downloaders (eg uploading.com, letitbit, etc). if it becomes necessary we will make up a list of banned hosts, in the meantime just use common sense.

normal seeding rules apply!

downloaders:

check that all links are working before you start! help us clean out dead links by using the "http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/images/buttonsttd/report.gif" and post in the thread, maybe somebody will re-upload for you.

paddington
2009-10-28, 04:38 AM
a good start

Five
2009-10-31, 07:15 PM
okay everybody check it out there's some stuff in there
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=55
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=56

let us know what you think