PDA

View Full Version : uTorrent Upload Speeds SUCK! wtf?

Jerm
2009-05-28, 11:09 PM
My upload speeds are suddenly terrible. I'm trying to seed a show right now GD 71 Fillmore and I'm the only seed. There are like 8 leechers, but no one stays connected. They connect for a few seconds then drop off. I rarely see my upload get above 12kbps. I'm not firewalled, port forwarding is working, no AV interference with uTorrent. DHT disabled, Peer Discovery disabled.
If I do a speed test I get nearly 2MB/s up and 16MB/s down. It's Comcrap's middle of the road package. I can download fine so I don't get it.
I thought Comcast wasn't shaping traffic except for the 250GB cap thing, but I don't know what else it could be....
Any ideas?

U2Lynne
2009-05-28, 11:26 PM
Very odd. It sounds just like what was happening when they were shaping traffic, but I'm pretty sure they stopped that.

Have you tried turning on encryption? Sometimes that helps.

Jerm
2009-05-29, 06:17 AM
Thanks Lynne!
After giving it a little while to get rolling, things seemed to pick up and appear to be about normal. I was evidently impatient.

mooncusser
2009-05-29, 07:26 AM
utorrent can sometimes be slow to start seeding a show for some reason. once it gets past that, it should upload normally.

showtaper
2009-05-29, 09:00 AM
Comcast also seems to be port blocking. After periods of heavy usage, I'll
suddenly have trouble maintaining upload and download speeds. Changing
the port in utorrent and my router seems to work every time. With utorrent
I have to fully exit and restart the application for this to work. Get your
torrents restarted and select one and use the "update tracker" selection
as well......

mooncusser
2009-05-29, 10:11 AM
changing the default ports is always a good idea.

Jerm
2009-05-29, 10:19 AM
Thx guys!
I was using a different port and kept screwing with settings until I saw the speed pick up one of which was going back to the default port setup. This is always an issue for me on etree and it never seems to get rolling, so when I was trying to seed this recent offering I'd finally had enough.
I'll keep an eye on it to see if/when Comcrap screws with 6889.

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-29, 10:21 AM
port 6889 is the worst possible port to use, period.

its basically stating to everyone/anything, " Hello, I'm using a torrent client."

E_rock
2009-05-29, 03:09 PM
Thx guys!
I was using a different port and kept screwing with settings until I saw the speed pick up one of which was going back to the default port setup. This is always an issue for me on etree and it never seems to get rolling, so when I was trying to seed this recent offering I'd finally had enough.
I'll keep an eye on it to see if/when Comcrap screws with 6889.

Choose a port above 49,000 for sure.

ccrider895
2009-05-29, 03:28 PM
Use a port between 49152 - 65535. :cool:

J.R. Ewing
2009-06-07, 09:08 PM
Any port in a storm... my daddy used to say.:thumbsup