PDA

View Full Version : Invalid torrent file error troubles

riverwing
2009-05-09, 07:29 PM
I have suddenly been getting an "Invalid torrent file" error on every torrent that I have attempted to download for the previous two days (have not logged on in a week or two but no problems prior). This is a non issue with other trackers which down/upload fine (dime etc). I am using utorrent 1.8.2. Anybody have any ideas how I may resolve this?? Thanks!

U2Lynne
2009-05-09, 08:04 PM
Try stopping them and starting them again? You could try modifying them to all have the regular announce url (with thetradersden.org instead of tradersden.org) by selecting the torrents and doing a right-click and change the url that way. See if that fixes it.

riverwing
2009-05-09, 11:36 PM
Thanks for the suggests u2lynne, but I cannot start or stop because they will not initially load and therefore were never started. The regular announce url is what the link directs me to on first trying, doing the opposite and modifying back to "tradersden.org" does not work either, so neither tradersden or thetradersden works. I'm stumped and bummed about this. The only clue i can offer is this: Windows Vista did an update this week to ie explorer 8 as my browser, does this offer any clues?? I do not see why a link that opens utorrent would in any way be affected by this change, but maybe there is something someone out there might have some ideas about? Thanks again, any further suggests much appreciated!

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-10, 12:05 AM
they must have loaded if they list in your client..
perhaps your personalized key / login to site was/is the issue
(sometimes weird errors call for weird solutions)
clear the files from utorrent > log out > clear your cookies > login > download torrent

should be a one time deal..everyone else is fine.

knobby
2009-05-10, 01:55 AM
they must have loaded if they list in your client..
perhaps your personalized key / login to site was/is the issue
(sometimes weird errors call for weird solutions)
clear the files from utorrent > log out > clear your cookies > login > download torrent

should be a one time deal..everyone else is fine.

Im having the same problem,cleared cookies rebooted etc still no luck

Karst
2009-05-10, 07:25 AM
Download the .torrent file again and dump it in the original folder and have it replace the old one. It should check and see how much you've downloaded and start again where you left off.

riverwing
2009-05-10, 07:44 AM
Thanks direwolf-pgh, but they in fact are not listed because they are not recognized as valid files whether I click the link on torrent thread, copy/paste into utorrent etc. No traders den torrents seem to be recognized as valid, but torrents from other trackers such as dime are recognized as valid and work fine for me??? I tried your other recommended steps with no change. I am puzzled. The fact that at least one other person has chimed in as having this same issue is interesting.

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-10, 08:42 AM
Thanks direwolf-pgh, but they in fact are not listed because they are not recognized as valid files whether I click the link on torrent thread, copy/paste into utorrent etc.
this sounds more a common Windows IE issue.

solution:
Start > Control Panel > Internet Options > Advanced Tab > Reset button.

(on older versions of IE..the reset button is on the second to last tab)

basically Windows/IE has been altered and does not understand the .torrent file type. Reset corrects this issue.

:coffee: good morning

canon
2009-05-10, 09:00 AM
I am also having the same problem..The trouble is UTorrent will not save the file because it reads it as Invalid torrent so it don't even make the client list. I even tried saving one and editing "thetradersden.org" part to read "tradersden.org" and it then accepted it as a recognizable torrent but then it would not connect to the tracker. Mind you this is not a problem with all torrents. I think they are mostly just the ones from mdshrk1 (and he has some great ups). Maybe we were all trying to get the same shows... I think I will just leave him a message to see if he's having a problem...

paddington
2009-05-10, 09:04 AM
^^^ this may be it... more specifically, you may need to reset your file association for the .torrent extension. it works a bit differently in IE8.

in the internet options panel, click the "programs" tab.
in the programs tab, select the link that says "Associate a file type or protocol with a program"
scoll down to the entry for ".torrent"
see if it is properly associated with uTorrent.
If it isn't, or even if it is, double click it, then choose "BROWSE" and browse to choose the app again.
The likely path to the program is "C:\Program Files\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe" unless you have Vista 64 bit, then it will be "C:\Program Files (x86)\uTorrent\uTorrent.exe"
Once you get that set:
1) close all IE windows
2) remove the old torrents from uTorrent
3) open IE8, come get a new torrent file.

Do NOT save the torrent, just click it and choose OPEN. uTorrent should open it, ask for the save location, etc...
If you get the error again after that, please take a screenshot of the error and post it here so we can get a better idea of what is happening.

paddington
2009-05-10, 09:05 AM
I am also having the same problem..The trouble is UTorrent will not save the file because it reads it as Invalid torrent so it don't even make the client list. I even tried saving one and editing "thetradersden.org" part to read "tradersden.org" and it then accepted it as a recognizable torrent but then it would not connect to the tracker. Mind you this is not a problem with all torrents. I think they are mostly just the ones from mdshrk1 (and he has some great ups). Maybe we were all trying to get the same shows... I think I will just leave him a message to see if he's having a problem...

can you snatch the announce URL out of the .torrent you have from him and post it here?>

canon
2009-05-10, 09:18 AM
I use Firefox and whenever I click on a Torrent from any site it automatically gets opened by Utorrent and then all the usual stuff happens. When these are clicked on Utorrent won't even give you a chance to do anything, however I just now checked out Mdshrk1's Ellington seed and it works fine. I did leave him a message though and am waiting to see whats up.

canon
2009-05-10, 09:23 AM
I use Firefox and whenever I click on a Torrent from any site it automatically gets opened by Utorrent and then all the usual stuff happens. When these are clicked on Utorrent won't even give you a chance to do anything, however I just now checked out Mdshrk1's Ellington seed and it works fine. I did leave him a message though and am waiting to see whats up.

Ok It's all a moot point now as Mudshrk1 is already changing the announce on his shows..

Shows what a great seeder he is...

riverwing
2009-05-10, 09:28 AM
Canon you are on to something here. I realize most, but not all of the torrents I have been unsuccessfully trying to load are from mdshrk1. When I randomly try to open other torrents they have all opened successfully except those from mdshrk1 as well as Frank Zappa St Paul 11-27-74 SBD (FLAC) which was upped by uncle_john. I have only done this random selection with about 10-12 torrents and that is the pattern, and one exception, that i see.

I have tried all the suggestions of evrybody else (thanks) with no changes.

mdshrk1
2009-05-10, 09:33 AM
I have changed the announce. But what should I do about the ones with the missing e in the dictionary? Should they be pulled & reupped? Let me know. The Lounge Lizards alone is worth it.

:wtf:

paddington
2009-05-10, 10:05 AM
I have changed the announce. But what should I do about the ones with the missing e in the dictionary? Should they be pulled & reupped? Let me know. The Lounge Lizards alone is worth it.

I am trying.. . so hard.. to understand what that means... I can't do it.

:hmm:

U2Lynne
2009-05-10, 10:06 AM
Mdshrk1, what is the announce url you are using with the torrents? It never changed when we 'lost' our domains, it should always have stayed as thetradersden.org - is that what you were using?

I don't know what you mean about a missing e in dictionary... is that an error you are getting?

Although, what I don't understand is why some people can download the file and others can't. That makes it sound like a computer issue. Can you guys save the file to your computer?

hrpufnstuf
2009-05-10, 11:12 AM
Mdshrk1, what is the announce url you are using with the torrents? It never changed when we 'lost' our domains, it should always have stayed as thetradersden.org - is that what you were using?

I don't know what you mean about a missing e in dictionary... is that an error you are getting?

Although, what I don't understand is why some people can download the file and others can't. That makes it sound like a computer issue. Can you guys save the file to your computer?

I have not been able to DL any of Mdshrk1's offerings... I'm using Vuze (Azura) and get the message below:

'C:\Users\Marshall\AppData\Roaming\Azureus\torrents\girls2008-04-26.fm-flac16.torrent - Error reading torrent: BDecoder: invalid input data, 'e' missing from end of dictionary

I was able to get the John Hartford Band DL from Mdshrk1 to save and then open in Vuze. But, no luck with the others from the last several days.

(I want to make sure that it's clear that I appreciate these seeeds!!!! Keep it up Mdshrk1 :thumbsup )

riverwing
2009-05-10, 11:36 AM

When I click the torrent link I can select "open" or "save". I am able to "save" the file, but if attempt to "open" I get a utorrent error: "unable to load...Invlaid torrent file!" Hope this answers your question above.

Once again, while I get this error with only mdshrk1's torrents, and also the single uncle_johns Zappa torrent I mentinoed above, all seems good with all other torrents on this or any other tracker.

Echo the thanks for the effort to mdshrk and all! Very grateful, many thanks!

Karst
2009-05-10, 11:37 AM
Might have something to do with this?

http://azureuswiki.com/index.php/Azureus_messaging_protocol

U2Lynne
2009-05-10, 12:16 PM
Are you guys able to download other recent torrents? It would help to get a link to a recent non-working torrent and a recent working torrent. I tried comparing one of mdshrks recent ones to one uploaded by someone else and other than the files in the torrent being different, everything else looked the same (both used traders little helper to create the file). The two I compared were:
Nashville Bluegrass Band 1994-04-24 (FLAC) (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72472)
U2 2001-05-12 Chicago Drew's IEM+AUD Matrix (16-bit) (FLAC) (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72467)

canon
2009-05-10, 01:36 PM

:wtf:

Still can't get the Bill Monroe one to work even after changing the announce in the torrent file.

canon
2009-05-10, 01:42 PM
The Nashville Bluegrass works now since the fix along with the Ellington one (didn't need a fix) like I mentioned the Lounge Lizards don't work and the Black Keys don't either. I think these are the links you want...

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64713&d=1241887489

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64721&d=1241901874

U2Lynne
2009-05-10, 02:18 PM
The Nashville Bluegrass works now since the fix along with the Ellington one (didn't need a fix) like I mentioned the Lounge Lizards don't work and the Black Keys don't either. I think these are the links you want...

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64713&d=1241887489

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=64721&d=1241901874
He has the wrong announceurl in those two (tradersden.org, not thetradersden.org). I'm not sure why they work for other users and not for you (it works just fine for me). When I download it, it puts the correct url into the file (it changes it to thetradersden.org like it should). Is that happening to yours (open it in a text editor and see). When you download it, does it download as a .torrent file?

canon
2009-05-10, 02:59 PM
He has the wrong announceurl in those two (tradersden.org, not thetradersden.org). I'm not sure why they work for other users and not for you (it works just fine for me). When I download it, it puts the correct url into the file (it changes it to thetradersden.org like it should). Is that happening to yours (open it in a text editor and see). When you download it, does it download as a .torrent file?

The files have thetradersden.org in them and they download as a torrent file I can't figure it out either. I could not get the Nashville one to work till he fixed it then it worked no problem. I guess I'll wait till everything gets sorted out...

U2Lynne
2009-05-10, 03:09 PM
He didn't post what he did to 'fix' the other one, so I'm a bit curious about that. And again, it doesn't make sense that it works for so many other users and not you. You might want to delete the files from your computer and try to go back to the page and do a Force Refresh on the page and then download it. Maybe it is something in your cache.

mdshrk1
2009-05-10, 03:31 PM
He didn't post what he did to 'fix' the other one, so I'm a bit curious about that. And again, it doesn't make sense that it works for so many other users and not you. You might want to delete the files from your computer and try to go back to the page and do a Force Refresh on the page and then download it. Maybe it is something in your cache.

All I did to fix the new ones was change the announce back to what it was. When I run the torrent check in tlh, they check out OK.

mdshrk1

hrpufnstuf
2009-05-10, 06:16 PM
Are you guys able to download other recent torrents? It would help to get a link to a recent non-working torrent and a recent working torrent. I tried comparing one of mdshrks recent ones to one uploaded by someone else and other than the files in the torrent being different, everything else looked the same (both used traders little helper to create the file). The two I compared were:
Nashville Bluegrass Band 1994-04-24 (FLAC) (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72472)
U2 2001-05-12 Chicago Drew's IEM+AUD Matrix (16-bit) (FLAC) (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72467)

I have been able to DL the last 2 mdshrk1 torrents -

Dave Brubeck Quartet 9-23-07 http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72490

and John Hartford Band 4-1-00 http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72476

I am not (and get the "e" missing from dictionary error message) able to get the ones before, i.e. -

Girls for Merle 2008-4-28 http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72446

or Austin Lounge Lizards 2008-4-19 http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72452

I can live without the older torrents (although it will be an unfilled life), god knows I have enough to listen to now.

Again (and always) thanks for all everyone does here to keep things running smooth and sharing the groove. :wook:

spursfan
2009-05-10, 09:21 PM
I get this message when I tried to dl the Black Keys audio.

Unable to load "Black Keys 2009-07-31.torrent": Invalid torrent file!

I tried earlier suggestions but no luck.

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-10, 09:47 PM
thanks spurfan - im getting the same error & looking into it as well.

i have a strong suspicion a setting was incorrectly set (not set at default) when the torrent metafile was created.

mdshrk1
2009-05-11, 05:14 AM
thanks spurfan - im getting the same error & looking into it as well.

i have a strong suspicion a setting was incorrectly set (not set at default) when the torrent metafile was created.

I didn't change any settings at all. :wtf:

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-11, 06:54 AM
I didn't change any settings at all. :wtf:
I hear ya.. we also noticed that each were made with TLH. (v2.4.1.16013)

these metafiles will not load in my utorrent 1.8.2 (build 14458).
I mean, they wont load into the program at all. I dont believe a tracker issue would cause this to occur.
I dont know exactly why yet..but many of us agree this is certainly the case.. so lets eliminate some variables.

- for a test, would you care to recreate and upload an exact same show (or two) using something else to create the .torrent file.
?perhaps the black keys show? :) thanks and good morning

roann
2009-05-11, 07:25 AM
For testing purposes I downloaded the .torrent files from the torrents below:

http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72445 (Docabilly)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72452 (Austin Lounge Lizards)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72458 (The Black Keys)
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=72460 (Bill Monroe & the Bluegrass Boys)

All four .torrent files check fine with TLH but not with µTorrent that pops up an unable to load ... invalid torrent file error message. So there's no way to download these torrents using µTorrent (Windows OS). Unfortunately µTorrent doesn't tell what part of the .torrent file is considered invalid. ABC doesn't "like" the .torrent files too, MakeTorrent does ...

This could be an issue with TLH, of course. But the last release is running a long time now, and there hasn't been a single user's error report about its .torrent file creation function. Judging from some of the earlier posts changes were made to .torrent files in question. Never do this using a text editor! A .torrent file is an encoded txt file with checksums included. So just changing parts in most cases will damage the file. If you want to properly change things you have to create a new torrent file using the changed settings. mdshrk1, did you manually change your .torrent files after creation with TLH?

<edit>
After analyzing the .torrent files mentioned above manually I detected that three bytes were missing at the end of each file. This is not a TLH issue! It only can happen if you manually change the .torrent file with a text editor. (Btw, it's an issue with TLH's check function that doesn't get the error. This will be fixed with the next release.)
</edit>

U2Lynne
2009-05-11, 09:35 AM
Robert, that avatar is a crackup!

mdshrk, I think this error is because the torrent files were made with an invalid announce url - tradersden.org instead of thetradersden.org. I'm not sure how many were done this way. But, if you want to reupload some using the correct announce url, you can hit the http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/images/buttonsttd/report.gifon the one you are replacing and just sayin in the report "For Lynne" and I'll transfer the stats from the non-working one to the new one (the completes and completed by info).

mdshrk1
2009-05-11, 09:40 AM
Robert, that avatar is a crackup!

mdshrk, I think this error is because the torrent files were made with an invalid announce url - tradersden.org instead of thetradersden.org. I'm not sure how many were done this way. But, if you want to reupload some using the correct announce url, you can hit the http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/images/buttonsttd/report.gifon the one you are replacing and just sayin in the report "For Lynne" and I'll transfer the stats from the non-working one to the new one (the completes and completed by info).

I'll do that when I get home from work.

Tim

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-11, 09:58 AM
<edit>
After analyzing the .torrent files mentioned above manually I detected that three bytes were missing at the end of each file. This is not a TLH issue! It only can happen if you manually change the .torrent file with a text editor. (Btw, it's an issue with TLH's check function that doesn't get the error. This will be fixed with the next release.)
</edit>and there you have it. never manually edit a torrent metafile. coolness.

mdshrk1
2009-05-11, 10:13 AM
[QUOTE=roann;1148736]For testing purposes I downloaded the .torrent files from the torrents below:

mdshrk1, did you manually change your .torrent files after creation with TLH?

/QUOTE]

I didn't touch anything. I'm not smart enough to do that sort of thing. :arrow: