PDA

View Full Version : Our domains have been stolen

U2Lynne
2009-04-15, 06:25 PM
Those of you following the blog at http://thetradersden.livejournal.com/ , already know that my godaddy account was hacked and our domains thetradersden.org and thetradersden.com were transferred away from me. They were taken in a matter of a couple of hours, and I've been working to get them back ever since. Funny how it doesn't take much to take them away, but boy am I having to jump through hoops to try to get them back!

This asshat has now been trying to blackmail me to get our domains back. He started at an asking price of $2500, but has since come down to the bargain price of $1750. I was stringing him along for a bit, letting him think I was gonna pay him, but finally just dropped all communication with him.

He did try to grab our servers also, but our host realized something fishy was going on and refused to change the root password for him.

According to our host, he came from behind a proxy at The Planet (another hosting service - a HUGE one) and so it is doubtful he will get caught. However, that hasn't stopped me from reporting him to godaddy, register.com (where he transferred the domains), icann, and the IC3. Of course, they get tons of reports all the time, so no one has contacted me to get all the details yet.

I'll update this post as I have more information to give out.

4-17-2009: It looks like we'll be here for a little while longer. As much as I might push godaddy, they don't seem to understand the urgency of my wanting to get our domains back. I continue to provide paperwork; they continue to think it's not good enough or they want something else. Luckily, the place the asshat moved the domains to seems to understand a bit of my frustration and has locked them down so they can't be transferred right now. I will continue to work this issue, but they don't work over the weekend, so it's gonna be a bit longer.

4-23-2009: Just an update - it's now in the hands of the new registrar, register.com. GoDaddy has official asked for the domains back, but they say the new registrar can say no. I had talked to them last week and they are well aware that they were stolen from me and that the guy who took them was sending me emails to extort money for their return. Since they have all that background already, and since they were kind enough to lock down the domains so they guy couldn't transfer them again, I'm hoping they are going to give them back.

5-01-2009: I wish I could give some update, but unfortunately it seems that the legal department over at register.com has taken lessons from godaddy in how to drag their feet. I didn't call them today cuz I was taking the day off from this stuff.

5-5-2009: Well, the domains finally have my name back on them instead of this Fred guy, but I now need to get them transferred back to GoDaddy so I can actually access them and point them back to our site.

Fuck
2009-04-15, 07:03 PM
This is my impression of GoDaddy.com fighting a hacker:
http://img245.imageshack.us/img245/4607/e1b2fb172dc8f7f22ac826a.gif

MarieDJ
2009-04-15, 07:35 PM
Is there anything we can do as members to help?

Anything at all?

Gilligan
2009-04-15, 07:35 PM
Gee whiz, I thought maybe I'd done it :angel:

vavoom
2009-04-15, 08:24 PM
I noticed on your blog that you suggested we change our passwords... is that still the case...?

mooncusser
2009-04-15, 08:26 PM
Gee whiz, I thought maybe I'd done it :angel:

so did we. :)

go get 'em, Lynne! :icon_hug:
we can ask Wolf to sic the giant squid on him!

bartgrooms
2009-04-15, 09:20 PM
I've found you again, but none of my Trader's Den torrents show any seeders/leechers. How do I keep seeding after this problem?

uninvited94
2009-04-15, 09:23 PM
I've found you again, but none of my Trader's Den torrents show any seeders/leechers. How do I keep seeding after this problem?

Itīs on the top of the page:

"Our host is allowing us to use their nameservers for another one of our domains (one that wasn't stolen) while I get the issue of our stolen domains resolved with GoDaddy. What this means is you will need to redownload your torrent files in order to get the domain we are currently using into your torrent file. If you are uploading a new show, you do NOT need to change the announce url - the site will do that for you upon download. Some links will not work if they have thetradersden.org in them. If you manually change the url to tradersden.org in the browser window, it should work fine."

rainy12
2009-04-15, 09:24 PM
So is Fred M. a good guy or the bad guy?

Yoda
2009-04-15, 09:34 PM
EVIL, he issss

juxtiphi
2009-04-15, 10:01 PM
Sorry to hear this has happend! I hope you get things under your control again soon for your own piece of mind.

internet extortion is bullshit and godaddy should be ready to listen to those who keep them in business

U2Lynne
2009-04-15, 10:35 PM
I noticed on your blog that you suggested we change our passwords... is that still the case...?
I wasn't talking about your password specific to TTD, but rather your passwords in general. The password he used to hack my account was one that I have used on and off for a couple of years. I hated the idea of always having to memorize a new one, so I was kinda rotating them from account to account. Not anymore. It's worth having to memorize new passwords after the hassle I've been going through!

becks dark
2009-04-16, 03:16 AM
I hope you find the scum. Nail his ass when you do!

bandbeyonddescription
2009-04-16, 04:45 AM
I am so very sorry you have had to undertake this crap, Lynne. :disbelief Thank you as always for keeping the TTD vision, and for doing what you feel is necessary to extricate from this situation. Again, please let us know if there's *anything* we can do...and try to stay cheerful amid it all...

Peace,
~Steve in Tokyo

Carsten Schaefer
2009-04-16, 07:32 AM
Lynne, I'm truly sorry this happened. I realized that something was going on when a torrent I was downloading, turned red (the arrow that is), and the message said "Http error 404". I'm glad to know what the problem is and also have to say what others said: one takes something for granted until it disappears. I'm glad to say it's reappearing again. I have one legal question, though. Obviously, we here are trading inofficial stuff (not counterfeited, though, mind you). Would you be able to sue that guy if need be?

Thanks for everything (should be said much more often, I know), and keep up the DAMN great work!

Cheers.

timstreets
2009-04-16, 09:16 AM
Welcome back. Thanks for the great service. Tim :)

2009-04-16, 09:54 AM
Welcome Back !! :-)

:thumbsup

Cantrip
2009-04-16, 09:55 AM
Good luck Lynne. Keel-haul the bastard!!!!

(Sorry, watching pirates on TV.)

Thanks for all your hard work.

Slab
2009-04-16, 02:08 PM
Great to see ThetradersDen back up and running. Hopefully the lowlife who caused the earlier problems will run into something sharp and nasty!

all the best.

Pottel
2009-04-16, 04:35 PM
I wasn't talking about your password specific to TTD, but rather your passwords in general. The password he used to hack my account was one that I have used on and off for a couple of years. I hated the idea of always having to memorize a new one, so I was kinda rotating them from account to account. Not anymore. It's worth having to memorize new passwords after the hassle I've been going through!

know the feeling lynn.
get the bastard.
wasn't this topic an issue on here (another subforum) a while back??

zzz
2009-04-16, 05:30 PM
Was he working on his own, or at the urging of a third party? If he's clever enough to do all this, surely he must have had enough exposure to the site to realise that despite the traffic through, it's a non-commercial set-up? Or, perhaps he's one of those idiot savants who's so intelligent he's got no common sense at all. A well paid job in computing is worth more than a couple of thousand dollars in blackmail, and all the hassle that goes with committing crimes and trying not to get caught; difficult these days, even if you're a politician!

drevilwebmaster
2009-04-16, 06:27 PM
keep us informed

The Kurgan
2009-04-16, 08:15 PM
keep up the good work, well done and thanks!

slomo
2009-04-17, 06:22 AM
I hated the idea of always having to memorize a new one, so I was kinda rotating them from account to account. Not anymore. It's worth having to memorize new passwords after the hassle I've been going through!

Lynne,

There's actually a really cool program I use called "Roboform To Go". Its free. You can keep it on a thumb drive, It will create strong passwords for all your sites that you then access with a master password, you can save a backup file just in case, and it completely erases all traces of itself once unplugged. Check it out:

www.roboform.com/pass2go.html (http://www.roboform.com/pass2go.html)

Stephenmagic
2009-04-17, 07:23 AM
Sorry to hear this, hope he gets his ass kicked!

harpsichord
2009-04-17, 09:11 AM
This is beginning to look like it might take a long time to resolve. I would have thought that even GoDaddy could figure this out and correct it by now.

I was holding off on changing my torrent files (my client allows for editing the tracker url) but maybe I'll just go ahead and do that.

Sorry you folks have to deal with this nonsense.

TheTooleMan
2009-04-17, 09:28 AM
I don't understand all details about how one "steals a domain," but I hope you get justice - and some free service or something as compensation for the trouble. TTD's hosting service should have better security around their servers.

Have you considered moving to a more-secure domain server host? You might threaten GoDaddy with moving your business and spreading the news about their lousy service if you don't get some action quick. And contact someone in the press that can spread the word and investigate this major fuck-up.

My best to you!
TheTooleMan

U2Lynne
2009-04-17, 10:09 AM
The domains have absolutely nothing to do with the hosting service. It is because of our good hosting service that they did not steal our servers also and it's also because of our hosting service that we have this domain up and running at the moment. Quickpacket, and Jeff, the owner, have been great throughout all of this.

The domains are hosted at godaddy. I purchased them from godaddy and left them at godaddy. All someone did is hack the account and ask to have them transferred and within a couple of hours they were gone. Just like that! They didn't ask them for a copy of my drivers licence or the last four numbers of the last credit card I used or a copy of my hosts business license. NONE of that was stuff they had to provide to get the domains moved. Yet I am having to provide godaddy with all of that stuff, and who knows what more they will come up with, in order to get them back.

Luckily, the site that currently hosts the domains is at least sympathelic to all of this. They've locked them down so they can't be transferred again. But, unfortunately, that is about as far as I am getting with these guys right now. It's fucking ridiculous how slow this is. I thought it would be something so obvious that they could quickly change it back. But, I was obviously wrong. That is why I finally took Quickpacket up on their offer to get another of our domains up and pointing to our site for now.

I think both Azureus and uTorrent will allow you to edit your announce url right in the client.

In Azureus, select all the torrents for ttd. Then, right click > Advanced > Tracker > Edit Tracker URL(s).

Then double-click on the url and remove the "the" at the beginning of "thetradersden". Hit Save.

That's it!

theSeaHawk
2009-04-17, 03:05 PM
This asshat has now been trying to blackmail me to get our domains back. He started at an asking price of $2500, but has since come down to the bargain price of $1750. I was stringing him along for a bit, letting him think I was gonna pay him, but finally just dropped all communication with him.

If I were you I would contact the FBI since what he is doing is using telecommunications in an attempt to extort money from you!

Cryptic1
2009-04-17, 05:13 PM
Damn, I was freaking out for a minute there. Knew I'd have heard SOMETHING if this place was about to end, but a quick Google search proved my guess that a hacker must be involved (actually probably just an idiot... Wouldn't want to give them that much credit, extortion? from a non-commercial site???). Trader's Den is the coolest place. Keep on sharing! Even if you have to change domains. We'll get the word out about a new domain if it comes to that. Can't let some (pick your expletive) get in the way of the best music site/crowd on the net. Glad to see you got the new one up so quick.

grateful kev
2009-04-17, 07:08 PM
It appears that the web site is working through this link. I have been down since Tuesday. I think it is crap what happened. Sometimes I cant understand how greedy everyone has become. It is not right in my opinion. If there is anyway to help out, let me know. I want to thank everyone who has provided me with some of the most amazing music and video footage available. I want to give special thanks to you U2lynne, you are the reason I found this site in the first place. I had downloaded from dime and you had mentioned something about this site. I spent most of the 80's and early 90's tading through the mail and visiting record coventions, or even looking for the out of the ordinary record store. For you younger generation, be happy those days are gone, cause the access and quality you have right here, is the best you can find. I hope very much that all the people who manage and use this site know how much I appreciate what they have done-Gratefulkev

nimble
2009-04-18, 01:22 AM
Bastards. Anyway managed to search out the new link here and still managing to download and upload, just seems like there's fewer seeders and leechers at the moment. Hope it all gets sorted.
Cheers.

a_doubt
2009-04-18, 06:44 AM
Luckily I found thetradersden livejournal through a Google search, I was really shocked that the site seems to be vanished. Very sorry to hear about all the trouble to get back what is yours :(

It's a shame what happened, but after reading here, I think we all should be glad that not more damage was done. Thanks for setting up this temporary place so quick, and thanks for this link (http://www.tradersden.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1135171&postcount=28), it was very helpful. We'll keep on sharing, whether using this domain or the original one, once you get it back.

katnapz
2009-04-18, 07:55 AM
Sorry to hear about this Lynne. Obviously if you need help with anything let us know. You've got people from all walks of life here that would be more than happy to assist.

katz

thenephew
2009-04-18, 08:28 AM
RE: The domain theft.
When I checked the Whois database it doesn't show any evidence that any privileges for this domain have been transferred. It appears the client status including the name, address and e-mail haven't changed so it's not clear to me how the rights or authority do not rest with parties listed. I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed.
As a point of information it might be helpful to know how the system is flawed and/or why the safeguards are so lax. Simply put, it isn't clear to me that ownership was transferred so I don't understand how someone is able to hold your site hostage while all proof of ownership (care-custody-control) rests with "you".

A New Face In Hell
2009-04-18, 08:30 AM
They are scum, subhuman leeching parasitical scum... WELL DONNE LYNNE AND ALL AT TTD :clap:

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww80/zero-minute/scum.gif

U2Lynne
2009-04-18, 08:52 AM
When I checked the Whois database it doesn't show any evidence that any privileges for this domain have been transferred. It appears the client status including the name, address and e-mail haven't changed so it's not clear to me how the rights or authority do not rest with parties listed. I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed.
As a point of information it might be helpful to know how the system is flawed and/or why the safeguards are so lax. Simply put, it isn't clear to me that ownership was transferred so I don't understand how someone is able to hold your site hostage while all proof of ownership (care-custody-control) rests with "you".
Well, the name currently listed on whois for thetradersden.org is Fred Meczywor . My name is not Fred Meczywor - nor do I live in Adams, MA. I'm not sure how you can say it doesn't look like the name and address haven't changed. :hmm:

A New Face In Hell
2009-04-18, 09:30 AM
Is that a real name.
Or is he in fact pretending to be a badly spelt Bishop Muzorewi of Rhodesia :wtf:

U2Lynne
2009-04-18, 09:41 AM
I'm sure it's another fake name just like all the emails I have for him.

paddington
2009-04-18, 09:52 AM

You've missed a few things. The info you seek is posted in plain sight here in the forum. It'll help you understand.

Zippy2xx
2009-04-18, 10:07 AM
Needless to say I want to do horrible things to the jerk off or offs who did this! May they rot in hell.

TheTooleMan
2009-04-18, 11:34 AM
The quote below came from someone outside the TTD community. It ties in with the ease with which the domain was stolen and Godaddy's lack of responsiveness in resolving the issue:

"I would suspect that Godaddy themselves took the domain, they have a reputation for such activity and would be no surprise. The asshat probably works there. I almost took a job there and glad I didn't after some research into their history."

I don't know if anyone would want the FBI investigating this problem, though. Bit torrenting is in a sort of legal gray area, and considering the verdict against the owners of The Pirate Bay, it could open a can of worms.

arkk
2009-04-18, 12:30 PM
I just started here and im not very experienced in bittorrent use. My torrents dont work anymore for downloading and uploading. I read i can re-download them from this url and they should work again, but what happens when the old url goes back up? Does it mean you have to switch around again?

U2Lynne
2009-04-18, 12:44 PM
I just started here and im not very experienced in bittorrent use. My torrents dont work anymore for downloading and uploading. I read i can re-download them from this url and they should work again, but what happens when the old url goes back up? Does it mean you have to switch around again?
Yes, however I posted a real easy method to use to change the announce url here (http://www.tradersden.org/forums/showpost.php?p=1135171&postcount=28). What I posted is for Azureus/Vuze, but I am pretty sure there is a similar way in uTorrent. So, you can change them all with a couple of clicks now, and then when we get the domains back, you can change them back with just a couple of clicks.

arkk
2009-04-18, 12:50 PM
You're right it works the same way in uTorrent. Thanks, i somehow read over your guide earlier.

BoNeZ
2009-04-18, 04:57 PM
And contact someone in the press that can spread the word and investigate this major fuck-up.

:wtf: :lmao:

Wow, this is not that big or important of a website in the grand scheme of things, so any press that takes up this story would have to be having a really slow news day.

But, overall, this all sucks and it's nice to have this little corner of the Internet still going.

There's actually a really cool program I use called "Roboform To Go". Its free. You can keep it on a thumb drive, It will create strong passwords for all your sites that you then access with a master password, you can save a backup file just in case, and it completely erases all traces of itself once unplugged. Check it out:

Interesting....

swtindica
2009-04-18, 09:11 PM
*** Karma NEVER goes wrong. ***
This thief- and slime - shall get what 'they' deserve, no doubt. But in the mean time- Thank you so very much for everything you have done and are doing to maintain the site and everything contained herein. Your hard work does not go unnoticed, or unappreciated. Namaste.

zoso58
2009-04-19, 10:17 AM
Lynne,

The ms's uses this program and its pretty god dang cool!!!
Has had it for years and seems to do a great job.....
May be worth a shot!!! :thumbsup

thenephew
2009-04-19, 10:18 AM

You've missed a few things. The info you seek is posted in plain sight here in the forum. It'll help you understand.

Yes, I seem to have only found enough info to be surprised. That is, I did read: "Someone hacked into my godaddy account last night and stole our ttd domains. ...However, I am now dealing with godaddy to get our domains back."
So, I wrote "I realize it's possible to temporarily "steal" anything from a financial identity to a parking space. But it isn't clear to me how or why any third-party is able to provide a more convincing case (for ownership) then the owners listed."
See, I understand every domain is at risk for temporary tampering-theft. But contrary to the belief that "Possession is 99% of the law", establishing proof of ownership means that domain theft is 'domain borrowing' at best. I have to show "proof" with every transaction...
So yes, I would be surprised if I lacked the means to prove (convince) my host or registrar that I can meet the test of "ownership".
Face it, if stealing domains and holding them hostage for ransom was easy? There are domains that are worth more than a few thousand bucks.
Yes, vandalism isn't too tough but I suggest someone think through making a buck by asking ransom for a domain they don't own...That scheme would fold like Sears tent in less than 24 hours.
But I do own a bridge in New York if anyone is interested?

U2Lynne
2009-04-19, 10:43 AM
Lynne,

The ms's uses this program and its pretty god dang cool!!!
Has had it for years and seems to do a great job.....
May be worth a shot!!! :thumbsup
It looks great but they don't have a mac equivalent. I'll have to do some googling and see what is out there.

muzzer100
2009-04-19, 03:42 PM
Lynne - thank you!

Nil illegitimi desperandum

dementrium
2009-04-19, 03:49 PM
But I do own a bridge in New York if anyone is interested?

- I have a bridge on sale in the Sahara.
- Really? Nahh...
- Yes. But I can't do the transaction right now...
- why not?
- 12 Spaniards fishing there for weeks and can't move their asses out!

http://img218.imageshack.us/img218/1968/partyyayeg2.gif

rspencer
2009-04-19, 05:06 PM
That scheme would fold like Sears tent in less than 24 hours.

Apparently not, as this has been going on for days now.

spun2u
2009-04-19, 06:10 PM
All I can say is WOW.

Sorry for the troubles your having Lynne, you shouldn't have to deal with this crap.

I have read other similar hijackings with godaddy registered domains, so I'll be moving the two domains I have with godaddy now just in case.

eburgian
2009-04-20, 01:38 AM
It looks great but they don't have a mac equivalent. I'll have to do some googling and see what is out there.

1password is hands-down the best password management program for the Mac.

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password

slickdaddyo
2009-04-20, 05:55 AM
Great to see ThetradersDen back up and running. Hopefully the lowlife who caused the earlier problems will run into something sharp and nasty!

all the best.

...and rusty - with feces smeared all over it.

slickdaddyo
2009-04-20, 06:39 AM
See above post:

...so it will grow into a huge, and very painful infection brought on by some new virulent pathogen, unknown to physicians and toxicologists, that will disfigure him (the ugliest of his siblings) for the rest of his life, to the point that no woman (or man) would even consider fucking him if it meant his genes could possibly be passed on to some ungodly offspring that would undoubtedly sicken any attending physician who had the misfortune to birth the little bastard.

Oh yeah,
Thank you Lynne for all you have done. No one deserves the sort of suffering you have endured, except for the bottom feeder who inflicted this mess.

U2Lynne
2009-04-20, 09:18 AM
1password is hands-down the best password management program for the Mac.

http://agilewebsolutions.com/products/1Password
Thank you! I've heard of this application, but had never really looked into it because I thought I was so nice and secure! But, I'll be checking it out now.

See above post:

...so it will grow into a huge, and very painful infection brought on by some new virulent pathogen, unknown to physicians and toxicologists, that will disfigure him (the ugliest of his siblings) for the rest of his life, to the point that no woman (or man) would even consider fucking him if it meant his genes could possibly be passed on to some ungodly offspring that would undoubtedly sicken any attending physician who had the misfortune to birth the little bastard.

Oh yeah,
Thank you Lynne for all you have done. No one deserves the sort of suffering you have endured, except for the bottom feeder who inflicted this mess.
First laugh of the morning. Thanks! :)

Starlifter
2009-04-20, 11:36 AM
Wow! :wtf:

Haven't posted in a while (other than rejecting Alex's PMs offering me free man sex if I come back to The Lounge :hmm:).

I don't understand how a domain gets "stolen" but I won't trouble anyone for an answer. Whoever did this will get theirs. :mad:

Just glad to see there's a site again. Good luck Lynne... keep your chin up!

p.s. Happy 4/20 everyone. Go get rasta'd... :rasta:

ZJLI
2009-04-21, 01:36 AM
Wow! :wtf:

Haven't posted in a while (other than rejecting Alex's PMs offering me free man sex if I come back to The Lounge :hmm:).

I don't understand how a domain gets "stolen" but I won't trouble anyone for an answer. Whoever did this will get theirs. :mad:

Just glad to see there's a site again. Good luck Lynne... keep your chin up!

p.s. Happy 4/20 everyone. Go get rasta'd... :rasta:

:( Please come back

rosc2112
2009-04-21, 02:11 AM
Godspeed getting your doms back. I had to google to find ya (did it feel good for you too? :)
Another site I frequent for torrents, small and obscure and probably not even on google, also got hijacked recently. Must be epidemic.

Good luck all

Aimee Wilbury
2009-04-21, 07:41 PM
Wow. when it went down I thought the copyright vultures pulled you offline.

good luck catching the bastard.

kweegibo
2009-04-22, 11:02 AM
Man GoDaddy must really suck!!! They still haven't re-established TTD. It's been how long now???!!!!!! Good luck Lynne

djil
2009-04-22, 10:48 PM
wow... was away for awhile, tried to reconnect... saw what happened... sucks... had some turkish hackers disfigure a few websites i did a while ago... why them? why me? no idea... took me a while to clean things up... but never had to deal with a domain name theft... bummer... i feel for you...
good luck and thanks for all you do, Lynne...
and thanks to all of you too, jolly members of TTD...
the love of music is precious ;-)
:clap:

GHRBC
2009-04-23, 07:51 AM
Lynne,
I'm so sorry about all of the BS you are dealing with. I think you are being far too kind in referring to this person as an "asshat". I'm sure you're just being as polite as possible in not referring to him as the low-life, bottom feeding scumbag he surely is. This person is truly a worthless piece of shit that deserves every bad thing that comes his way for the rest of his miserable life. I wish you all the luck in the world in reclaiming your domain names.
I think this might be a great time for the members of The Traders Den to donate to your site as a show of support and appreciation for all the work you have done and continue to do to keep this great site up and running, especially in light of what you have had to endure over the past two weeks. This has certainly been a wake up call for me to get off my ass and make a long overdue donation. Thank you very much for fighting to keep your site up and running. I wish you all the luck in the world.

U2Lynne
2009-04-23, 09:07 AM
Just an update - it's now in the hands of the new registrar, register.com. GoDaddy has official asked for the domains back, but they say the new registrar can say no. I had talked to them last week and they are well aware that they were stolen from me and that the guy who took them was sending me emails to extort money for their return. Since they have all that background already, and since they were kind enough to lock down the domains so they guy couldn't transfer them again, I'm hoping they are going to give them back.

ccrider895
2009-04-23, 10:45 AM
Thanks for the update, and I hope everything works out for the best. :)

katnapz
2009-04-23, 05:55 PM
....but they say the new registrar can say no....they are well aware that they were stolen....I'm hoping they are going to give them back.

Well, after all,...possession is nine tenths of the law right? ;) Or at least in terms of internet domains that's the rule of thumb it seems.

My sympathies Lynne.

I know a previous poster noted a financial angle, but I don't think you've addressed this in any of your posts. Are you incurring any additional money burdens due to this from legal assistance/phone bills/lost work/...."stamps??" (heck, how about an extra 5th of your favorite hard stuff to calm your nerves through all this that we can all pitch in on ;) ) as I think that the community should be pitching in to assist in a larger way than normal to help out.
And as I noted in a previous post, you've got a ton of people here from all walks of life so I'm sure there's advice a'plenty if you need/ask. I'm sure you've been e-mailing/PMing with different people in that regards anyways but don't fight the fight alone when you've got a potential army waiting in the wings.

bird13
2009-04-24, 02:22 PM
WOW, this is an amazing tale.
So GoDaddy will let someone steal/transfer an account
without contacting the owner to verify the transfers validity?
Thank God I didn't pick them for my webhosting.
Does this mean any asshole can steal someones website by just pretending to be the owner and requesting a transfer?
If that's the case, maybe I should ask for Bank of Americas domains to be placed in my ownership, I could use a little stimulus money.
Sorry your going through so much crap U2Lynne, I hope the new registrar gets it right for you soon.

beeerlover
2009-04-25, 05:23 AM
Godaddy is the absolute worst when it comes to any of the services they offer. They are just too big to care about anyone else.

I am currently battling them over one of my domains being hacked by the Chinese sex spammers. They have been 100% useless in helping restore the services I puchased. As a profesional webmaster, I would never reccomend them to anyone for anything -- not even my enemies!

Dudogger
2009-04-27, 07:45 AM
This is probably all the work of that self-absorbed yutz :imslow: over at Planet Rock - effecting some paybacks for the "Multiple-Vlad" :lurk: shenanigans perpetuated on them a few months back! :catfight:

Wizardry007
2009-04-27, 04:44 PM
Been away for a few weeks and just saw the news.. man you cant trust anyone this days :mad:

Keep up the fighting spirits and hopefully everything will work out with you getting the domains back Lynne...

Please let us know if there is anything you might need a hand with (like a 10 man crew to go pay this guy a "friendly" visit and "kindly" ask for the domains back) :lol4:

Bingo969
2009-04-27, 07:52 PM
Just another quick well-wishing message to you. Wish like hell there was something I could do for ya. Thanks for everything you do here and please know that it's really, really, really appreciated.

jdawson
2009-04-28, 10:19 AM
I am amazed that this has gone on this long. Curious if you alerted any authorities about his attempt to extort money for the return of the site?

speps
2009-04-28, 12:44 PM
Curious if you alerted any authorities about his attempt to extort money for the return of the site?

Who would you alert? The Polizei?

Nibbler
2009-04-30, 01:03 AM
WOW! First ive heard of all this madness!

Lynne U Rock!

Keep up the good work!!

spun2u
2009-05-01, 07:27 PM
Whats the latest? It's been several days since any official word.

U2Lynne
2009-05-01, 10:16 PM
I wish I could give some latest, but unfortunately it seems that the legal department over at register.com has taken lessons from godaddy in how to drag their feet. I didn't call them today cuz I was taking the day off from this stuff.

unataper
2009-05-02, 10:35 AM
Man, I'm just glad I found you again. I kept trying and trying and wondering what was going on. Hopefully you'll get back what IS rightfully yours.

Keep up the good work.
Cecil

Toadinohio
2009-05-04, 03:04 AM
Sucks that this has happened and sucks worse that it is so hard to fix.

I didn't read every post, so sorry if someone posted this already, but there is a site dedicated to godaddy horror stories/complaints-
http://nodaddy.com/

U2Lynne
2009-05-05, 11:55 AM
Well, the domains finally have my name back on them instead of this Fred guy, but I now need to get them transferred back to GoDaddy so I can actually access them and point them back to our site.

paddington
2009-05-05, 12:20 PM
Well, the domains finally have my name back on them instead of this Fred guy, but I now need to get them transferred back to GoDaddy so I can actually access them and point them back to our site.

:thumbsup:thumbsup:thumbsup :clap:
http://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/jameskg/nye2007_fireworks_gif.gifhttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t151/jameskg/nye2007_fireworks_gif.gif

mooncusser
2009-05-05, 09:28 PM

Congratulations, Lynne! Thanks yet again for everything you do with this site.

:woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot: :woot:

:dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance: :dance:

:dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2: :dance2:

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss: :kiss:

:love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: :love:

doctor_alex
2009-05-06, 03:03 AM

Great news! My best congratulations :vino:

And thank you again, Lynne, for all your work!

Branston
2009-05-06, 03:43 AM
I miss that other guy's website. Where am I going to look for opportunities in the music business now?

:hide:

thelonerofloneliness
2009-05-06, 06:54 AM
Conngratulations.I can only imagine how frustrating it must have been to have the site stolen from you.:clap::clap:

uninvited94
2009-05-06, 07:02 AM
:vino::drunk::cheers:

hcb0172
2009-05-06, 08:30 AM
Is there no way to find out who the guy was who did it, and press charges?
I guess it's probably pointless... getting blood from a turnip...
or that the rewards don't justify the cost

GHRBC
2009-05-06, 09:14 AM
Congratulations Lynne on getting your domains back! I couldn't be happier for you! F-Fred!

direwolf-pgh
2009-05-06, 09:54 AM
everything looks great :clap: well done

daddyray
2009-05-06, 09:56 AM
thank you for keeping all this weirdnuss together...much appreciated.

jamroom
2009-05-06, 11:55 AM
Well done Lynne. Welcome back.

scottocs
2009-05-06, 01:23 PM
:possessed::rasta::possessed:

Thank you for everything Lynne.

VRMan
2009-05-06, 01:26 PM
Beautiful! Thanks for all the hard work (I can only imagine...or not). Either way it's great that justice prevailed and now it's Karma's turn to kick butt (which really DOES tend to take longer than one would like).

Welcome home!

dementrium
2009-05-06, 09:54 PM
Congratulations, Lynne! :woot: :woot: :woot:

Biggest Fan
2009-05-07, 05:28 PM
Thanks TTD. You were missed.

fuzzybeard
2009-05-08, 12:42 PM
Cool :clap::wave:

Just curious. Will you transfer the domains away from Godaddy or do you feel safe with them?

U2Lynne
2009-05-08, 12:46 PM
Currently the two 'stolen' ones are with the registrar they were transferred to and they are locked and cannot be transferred for a few weeks. After that time period is over, I'm gonna transfer them to our host at Quickpacket. I feel confident that if this guy had tried to transfer them away from Quickpacket, then he would not have been able to do so. Jeff knows me and knows my writing style and was easily able to tell it was not me when the guy was asking for our root password to our servers - thus he didn't get to steal our servers also.

paddington
2009-05-08, 01:19 PM

ZJLI
2009-05-08, 08:15 PM

I'm hoping the next time they just steal you, James

:D

paddington
2009-05-08, 09:10 PM
go fuck yourself (immediately)

:D

rspencer
2009-05-08, 09:55 PM
No, we have to keep James close, where we can keep an eye on him. If they steal him, chaos could ensue. He might merge the whole internet...all the tubes in knots...not even Al Gore could save us. :ah:

mooncusser
2009-05-08, 10:13 PM
Because he thought it was good sport. Because some men aren't looking for anything logical, like money. They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with. Some men just want to watch the world merge.

paddington
2009-05-08, 10:16 PM
a great film.
wonder if they'll make another?
I could merge them...

djquu
2009-05-09, 02:07 AM
Congratulations Lynne! :clap:

J.R. Ewing
2009-06-10, 12:28 PM
They can't be bought, bullied, reasoned or negotiated with.every man has an achilles heel, like tennis elbow, usually in the bedroom with hookers and cocaine.

what i wanna know is this, boy: Did Lynne get this thieving piece a'trash killed yet?
I coulda organized that for ya.

kreature
2009-11-04, 12:43 PM
hi doing a great job

paddington
2009-11-04, 01:15 PM
absolutely

ZJLI
2009-11-04, 03:58 PM