PDA

View Full Version : Problem with my recording - overloaded vocals

RetroDude83
2009-03-11, 11:19 AM
Hi,
yesterday I taped a show and although the levels did't reach 0dB while recording the show the vocals of the singer turned out very bad. I attached an mp3 sample.

anyone knows what I did wrong? I use: Church Audio cardioids > CA preamp > Olympus LS(mic in), I'm all new to using mics with a preamp...

anyone have an idea how to smoothen the shitty vocals if that's possible at all. I'm also not familiar with equalazing and stuff.

cheers

dorrcoq
2009-03-11, 02:29 PM
One tip - if you are using a preamp, go line in

rspencer
2009-03-11, 05:06 PM
Your levels look fine. Running a pre-amp going mic-in runs a good risk of overloading the internal pre of the recorder. While it's not truly brickwalled, I'd bet that's the source of the distortion. Another possibility is that the mics were being overloaded.

Either way, there's really not much you can do about it. Be thankful it wasn't really bad.

dcbullet
2009-03-11, 05:25 PM
Church Audio cardioids can take very high SPL's so I'd guess your problem either 1) mic input as discussed above 2) week battery in your pre.

RetroDude83
2009-03-12, 12:20 PM
Church Audio cardioids can take very high SPL's so I'd guess your problem either 1) mic input as discussed above 2) week battery in your pre.

I was told not to use preamps with the line-in of the LS-10, even Chris Church says that (well at least for the preamps he sells).

I was assuming it could be the battery, which I haven't changed since june last year. I'll make sure to buy a new one.

Thanks for the input!