PDA

View Full Version : having trouble burning DL

swtindica
2009-01-18, 03:28 PM
ok. I need some help... if you can answer the following questions .... you will have saved me from ripping all of my hair out!

I can't seem to get my video-ts files to a DVD+RDL? i never had trouble with the dvd5s, but the 9s are giving me trouble. i have checked te program, I have reconfigured the hardware and changed the jumpers and IDE wires. set the primary drive to master and the secondary to slave. (thrice configured) reinstalled the software (twice)... but every time i think i have it... one of two things happen....

* it tells me the dvdrdl is full. (and it's not- it's right off the spindle)
* it doesn't recognize the disc at all and crashes every program i have running.

I have tried different media, (now working with memorex) I even got it to work once and managed to get one whole disc burnt (and the disc works great).... which concerns me... why would it work all of a sudden?- i haven't changed anything, no updates or anything...... But all of a sudden it's back to this crap again, and I've coastered 4 discs and I've lost my patience. as you know the DLs are NOT cheap and I don't want to shrink it if I can avoid it. I have been to every web site i can think of to try and figure this out, and I just can't seem to find anything about it. I burn stuff all the time... i really am at a loss... i'm beginning to think a sledge hammer would help?

I'm running nero 7 essen. and have just recently tried imgburn, on Windows XP, I have 2 DVD drives, both of which are capable of burning dvdrdl. ...and still all the same problems. PLEASE.... PLEASE HELP! it works... it doesn't work. it works.... it doesn't work... it makes me crazy.

please and thank you kyndly for your help in advance....

namaste.

Karst
2009-01-18, 04:41 PM
Doing a quick search and I don't think you're the only one with this problem. Have you tried Verbatim discs yet?

swtindica
2009-01-18, 05:40 PM
I started with Nexttech- which suck, and now i'm on memorex... i've now coasterd 6 and can't return them. I was hoping to solve the problem without having to spend more money. Is it possible that my drive won't even recognize the disc if it is something other than a Verbatim DL. (I've used memorex for almost everything else, and NEVER had a problem- not once.)

Thnax
Namaste.

DanielG
2009-01-19, 01:52 AM
Memorex are a poor brand of DVD. How long have you been using them for?

I use Taiyo Yuden for single layer and Verbatim for dual layer discs.

swtindica
2009-01-20, 01:47 PM
i'm going out today to get some Verbatim... hopefully that will solve the problem... but, if not, I will happily accept any and all suggestions! :)

Thanx Kyndly.
Namaste.

shopkin
2009-01-22, 09:59 AM
:lol: old topic...same answers......
"buy a brand new computer"..is the only answer....
at least the last zero DVD was done in DVD5:clap:...lets share to everyone.....

direwolf-pgh
2009-01-22, 12:18 PM
at least the last zero DVD was done in DVD5:clap:...lets share to everyone.....new computer - agree.
you are trying to burn .ts files - read here --> http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/613294

as for DVD5.. this will come back to bite us all shortly. You have the video (great) but its chopped.
For those of us watching via hard drive/memory stick > *your mutimedia interface device (http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=572)* > HDTV
the broken VIDEO_TS folders are unnecessary. in fact, one large file is the best for seamless playback/enjoyment.
I'm seeing .iso playback compatibility in more and more devices daily.

Black Dog
2009-01-22, 06:58 PM
Just watched a 9Gig .wmv BR *backup*

HD>xbox360(firmware upgrade0>37" 1080p LCD

quick n easy......killer picture :thumbsup

swtindica
2009-01-23, 04:53 PM

... well that is of course NOT the answer i was hoping for. :wtf:

someone suggested that since my drive is an HP (is same as LiteOn) that i should Flash the drive... :nono:
So then I beg of you....
* should I try...? :hmm: ('cause if i do it wrong- it could kill the drive altogether)
* if I fail, any recommendations on a new relatively inexpensive (under $100) DVD R DL that won't suck.
* or would i do better to just find a new drive? I really don't have the loot for a new puter right now...

Thanx to all who have been trying to help. I've never had this much trouble before- and I am honestly at my wits end...

thanx again.

sun234
2009-01-23, 10:53 PM
I am glad i found this thread, I Use sony DVD-dl discs and 6 out of every ten i have to throw away, b/c it stops when the second layer starts burning. Does anyone understand why my burn speed for DL dvd's is 2.4X, but my burn speed for DVD 5 is 11.8X?

Cheers.
Drew

shopkin
2009-01-24, 01:36 AM
I am glad i found this thread, I Use sony DVD-dl discs and 6 out of every ten i have to throw away, b/c it stops when the second layer starts burning. Does anyone understand why my burn speed for DL dvd's is 2.4X, but my burn speed for DVD 5 is 11.8X?

Cheers.
Drew

:hmm:just buy a new computer........:wave:

swtindica
2009-01-26, 08:55 AM

Cheers.
Drew

dvd dl (dvd9) should always be burn at a lower speed- it just ensures good quality. 2.4 is about the max you should burn at- even if you are using the Vearbitm discs. Have you tried imageburn? Nero isn't very good for DL disc. ImgBurn is free to download and use, no trial... no restrictions. go herehttp://club.cdfreaks.com/f34/problem-dvd9-nero-262859/ to learn more... you'll see what I mean. I did. :thumbsup

swtindica
2009-01-26, 08:58 AM
:hmm:just buy a new computer........:wave:

:p heheh thanx :)

:lol4: you wouldn't happen to have $800.00 I could borrow, do you? hehehe :lol:

direwolf-pgh
2009-01-26, 09:33 AM
:p heheh thanx :)

:lol4: you wouldn't happen to have $800.00 I could borrow, do you? hehehe :lol:I believe what shopkin is stating is: just because you have a dual-layer burner doesn't mean you're able to burn dual layer disks.

your computer (especially if older!!) must be capable of streaming 8GB+ of data without a hiccup.
otherwise you get a coaster.

tuneup the system > reboot > turn off all unnecessary apps (and screensaver/power management settings/antivirus software) > burn
if you still get coasters..you need a new computer/give up.

shopkin
2009-01-27, 05:05 PM
I believe what shopkin is stating is: just because you have a dual-layer burner doesn't mean you're able to burn dual layer disks.

your computer (especially if older!!) must be capable of streaming 8GB+ of data without a hiccup.

tuneup the system > reboot > turn off all unnecessary apps (and screensaver/power management settings/antivirus software) > burn

That is what I'm saying....just because I was drunk when I wrote that doesn't mean I was kidding......I'm in the same boat. Sometimes it works sometimes it dont. Looks like I'll get anothershot at it tonight with schome's zero DVD. I'll make sure I reboot the old G4 emac and make sure no other apps are running while burning........

swtindica
2009-01-27, 10:46 PM

aahhh... i see. (sometimes you just have to smack me silly- my head's a block of swiss cheese- holes and all. :) hee hee but while a little older, I know it can do it- I've done it before.... in fact, that was part of the frustration- it would burn, it wouldn't burn, it would, it wouldn't...

I'll give it a shot, but I've already flashed my drive and am now using liteon firmware- the fellas over at CD Freaks were kind enough to help me out with that- but yet... still no dice.

Thanx SOOO much for the info though. I'll give it one last go... :D

Unidecker
2009-01-27, 11:02 PM
img burn and close all other apps/etc while burning to be sure its perfecto

shopkin
2009-01-28, 11:20 AM
i was able to burn a couple of DVD-DL last night....schome's zero dvd and STLBlues's shakti disc 2 from long ago...(still had it on the HD for when i got around to buying more DVD9s)i restarted to mac and only ran toast9 to burn...no other apps open. also made sure to move the dvd file to the mac HD(not the external HD)so it did not have to go thru 2 sets of firewire cable. the shakti was first took about 30 min cant remember the file size...about 6.5 gigs i believe but it was a bit smaller that the zero dvd..anyway it burn fine till the very end whan it was all done writing the lead out...it got an error saying "cant complete your request because of mac os error". then the mac proceeded to boot up the dvd and play it. and it plays fine in the dvd player connected to the TV.
the zero DVD(which was bigger in size, not much but alittle) burn fine...no errors at all. i did reboot my mac between burns as well.......maybe some of this will help others....maybe not!?

retired
2009-01-28, 11:33 AM
Can't believe it worked with no problem :gtfo:
img burn and close all other apps/etc while burning to be sure its perfecto
:disbelief ...get ONES

shopkin
2009-01-28, 12:54 PM
this is my point....why one and not the other.....?different encoading/authoring or some shit? or can this be something to do with my hardware. no one can really know.........
~~~~twilight zone theme~~~~

direwolf-pgh
2009-01-28, 01:05 PM
I've heard nothing but praise for imgburn (http://www.imgburn.com/) - good stuff

swtindica
2009-02-01, 08:49 PM
well, i've restarted my computer, and shut down all my open programs, and turned off my firewall, and virus everything. I still can't seem to burn DLs, and everything else is hit and miss. What will burn in imgburn, won't burn in Nero and vise versa. I dunno. I mean, I'm getting the files to burn, but.... all I know is that Circuit City is going out of business, and I'm heading over there tomorrow to see how much their computers, externals and dvddl drives are on sale. heheh unless there is something else I'm missing..... ????? anyone? anyone? bueller?

Thanx for ALLLLLL the help folks- it is much appreciated.
Namaste.

mooncusser
2009-02-01, 08:52 PM
I suggest you buy a new drive from Newegg.com

swtindica
2009-02-06, 04:30 PM
well... what can I say. Everyone has been so wonderful and forthcoming with the information!! I really can't thank you all enough ::bow::

* I have now shut down all my virus and firewall protection.
* Bought a new Memorex MRX-530L lightScribe drive (it was the only one left in the only electronics store in my town- which is going out of business :(
* configured all my jumpers and replaced the IDE wire one more time (i have an 18 incher now!)
*using Imgburn and Verbatim DL discs

and for whatever reason... the music gods have smiled upon me. And I am up and running again. :) Everything is burning as it should, and I am not having any issues with anything. it is truly a miracle. heh heh...this is the way it should have been all along....
**BIG HUGE SIGH OF RELIEF**

thanx again to all those who helped out. I would like to believe that I will be able to return the favor someday. Thank you :)

Namaste.
michelle

direwolf-pgh
2009-02-07, 06:53 AM
glad to hear it all worked out :wave:

shopkin
2009-05-04, 11:57 AM
:bump: