PDA

View Full Version : Site Upgrade January 2009 - list problems here

U2Lynne
2009-01-17, 10:47 AM
I'm going to have to take the site down for a couple of hours sometime this week to upgrade the vbulletin software. As with any upgrade, there will be a few bumps, but we will work to fix them as fast as we can. The tracker should continue to function during the upgrade.

Post all problems in here.

(I deleted all the prior posts to keep this thread clean and easier for me to read.)

edit: I've written up some posts about some of the new features in the New TTD Features (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63480) thread so you may want to check that out.

U2Lynne
2009-01-19, 02:13 PM
If you see or have some problems on the upgraded site, please post them here.

direwolf-pgh
2009-01-19, 02:22 PM
looking good :thumbsup just a few little things here and there. well done.

paddington
2009-01-19, 02:27 PM
:clap:

mooncusser
2009-01-19, 02:31 PM
:dance:
looks good to me!

mooncusser
2009-01-19, 10:40 PM
Just noticed that the Mark Forums Read link at the top is missing when you're in a forum. It does appear after you've clicked New Posts and have the list onscreen. Is that intentional?

U2Lynne
2009-01-19, 11:15 PM
Yeah, I figured you should only need it after a search and the navbar was getting fullish. It is always available under the Quick Links menu though.

Nibbler
2009-01-20, 07:06 AM
I like the new feature very much! Thanks!

All seem to work fine so far..

mooncusser
2009-01-20, 07:07 AM
Yeah, I figured you should only need it after a search and the navbar was getting fullish. It is always available under the Quick Links menu though.

otay, works for me! :wave:

ssiscool
2009-01-20, 11:45 AM
whats a live topic?

U2Lynne
2009-01-20, 12:04 PM
whats a live topic?
If there are several users posting in one thread, the thread will update automatically with their posts. So, the thread is 'live' in a sense.

speps
2009-01-20, 01:27 PM
When i click to send a message the message sends and my page stays the same. I've been able to overcome this by opening another tab. Is this just me?

Oh! And I liked it better when the ppl I have on ignore I can't see their post in the thread with the option of clicking to see what they say.

U2Lynne
2009-01-20, 01:43 PM
Click to send a message.... you mean a PM? Or a post? I'm not understanding what you are talking about at all.

And people on ignore.... I'll have to look into that. It was a modification to completely remove the post. I'll have to see if there is one for this version of vB.

beatles_fan
2009-01-20, 02:21 PM
The tracker thinks I'm trying to seed more than 10 torrents when in reality I'm only seeding 8 and thus I'm shown as failure to connect to the tracker (red arrow). I have some connectivity issues with my ISP the last couple of days, but my Dime seeds are now fine. Would the site upgrade have anything to do with my problems? Updating the tracker is not helping. I have also tried closing out and then re-starting my bit torrent client (Utorrent v.1.8.1) to no avail either. I am however, at present uploading to peers 3 of my 8 seeds? I'm confused here.

Coasternut
2009-01-20, 02:39 PM
The" Most Recently Seeded Torrents" does not work as in the past.

U2Lynne
2009-01-20, 02:54 PM
Amazing what a little extra "$sr .=" will do!!! The list should now be fine. You were listed twice on a couple of shows because you didn't stop your client correctly and the tracker didn't get the information to remove you from the peers list. The cleaner will come along an fix that usually within 30 minutes.

Where are you talking about?

beatles_fan
2009-01-20, 03:18 PM
The tracker thinks I'm trying to seed more than 10 torrents when in reality I'm only seeding 8 and thus I'm shown as failure to connect to the tracker (red arrow). I have some connectivity issues with my ISP the last couple of days, but my Dime seeds are now fine. Would the site upgrade have anything to do with my problems? Updating the tracker is not helping. I have also tried closing out and then re-starting my bit torrent client (Utorrent v.1.8.1) to no avail either. I am however, at present uploading to peers 3 of my 8 seeds? I'm confused here.

Never mind.....FINALLY functioning correctly.

dementrium
2009-01-20, 04:34 PM
^ :lmao:

May I (seriously) ask what "Friends" are for?

U2Lynne
2009-01-20, 04:41 PM
They make it so you don't look friendless on your profile page.

OK, but more seriously, you may now privatize your profile. Currently, unregistered users may not see your profile, but now you may even customize that. One of the options is to only show parts of your profile to your 'friends'. Other than that, I can't think of what use they are..... unless you are into that myspace/facebook stuff and think it is cool to have tons of friends.

There is a whole bunch of new stuff in the FAQ including this - Friends and Contacts (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=vb3_user_profile#faq_vb3_friends_contacts)

dementrium
2009-01-20, 05:05 PM

I shoulda read the FAQ, first.

trustthex
2009-01-21, 07:40 AM
seeders/leech/completed does not display when searching by tag... at least in stg theme

U2Lynne
2009-01-21, 09:20 AM
Yeah, I know. I tried to get it working a week ago and couldn't. I'll have to get back to that one.

trustthex
2009-01-21, 09:51 AM
duly noted back to :lurk:

dementrium
2009-01-21, 04:21 PM
Is the forum experiencing some on & offs today?

Happened twice today when posting a couple of msgs, & when hitting for another one, then I get and endless "waiting for reply" from the browser & cannot contact the site for some minutes.

Perhaps it's a time-out/kick-off thing? :hmm:

U2Lynne
2009-01-21, 05:05 PM
Not that I've noticed. But then, I haven't been on the site a whole lot today. I haven't had any database errors today though.

speps
2009-01-22, 05:30 PM
Is the forum experiencing some on & offs today?

Happened twice today when posting a couple of msgs, & when hitting for another one, then I get and endless "waiting for reply" from the browser & cannot contact the site for some minutes.

Perhaps it's a time-out/kick-off thing? :hmm:

that's what happens to me when I post in the Quick Reply window.
I also have to wait longer for the the window to come up when i click on edit then i used to have to wait.

U2Lynne
2009-01-22, 05:55 PM
What browser and OS are you guys using? I'm not seeing any of this that you guys mention.

dementrium
2009-01-22, 06:44 PM
IE 7.

My normal browsing behaviour is: hit New Posts, open several tabs from one page, let them loading while hitting the New Posts' next page, and on and on. Usually I don't let more than, say, 12 pages loading, to not choak the line.

Then, happens more or less, what speps commented: when using Quick Reply, switch to another tab, post again, check some other tab, or the previous one with the Live ajax thing running,... then all the page requests awaiting to complete seem to be "choaked" and waiting for ever to complete.

To overcome this (happened twice or trice today) I close the browser & open a new one to contact the site again.

(sorry for the headache reading this, U2L. :D )

PS: I have my suspicions on the "Live Topic" feature.

U2Lynne
2009-01-22, 06:56 PM
PS: I have my suspicions on the "Live Topic" feature.
That would be my suspicion too. I know some users have had issues with it when using IE, but usually the issue was just that live topic didn't work. Period. I know the guy who wrote the mod is still fixing little bugs in it, so maybe his next revision will fix whatever it is you are noticing. I'll let you know when I install the next version and maybe you can let me know if things got better or worse.

dementrium
2009-01-22, 07:20 PM
Happened again when trying to post the third message. Workaround: opening a new browser, so yes, maybe is the Ajax bit what is annoying IE.

Thanks for caring, Lynne :wave:

U2Lynne
2009-01-22, 07:34 PM
Happened again when trying to post the third message. Workaround: opening a new browser, so yes, maybe is the Ajax bit what is annoying IE.

Thanks for caring, Lynne :wave:
I just found you in my error_logs and I'll bet that's it. It is the file for live edit, however it's our mod_security module on the server that is telling you no. I'm not sure what the error is all about though so I'll have to look into it.

speps
2009-01-22, 10:13 PM
What browser and OS are you guys using? I'm not seeing any of this that you guys mention.

firefox and xp

speps
2009-01-22, 10:14 PM
test

speps
2009-01-22, 10:15 PM
still doing the same thing

U2Lynne
2009-01-22, 10:26 PM
Since you're here, Spe, I just disabled Live Topic. How is it now?

speps
2009-01-23, 04:07 PM
test

speps
2009-01-23, 04:09 PM
It's a weird thing. The post does go thru in the Quick Reply window but my window never changes. I have to open a new tab. Works fine thru the other window though

dementrium
2009-01-23, 04:10 PM
With LV disabled, it's working flawlessly. (Damn, I liked a lot the "live" thing).
----------------------------

Lynne. A different subject this time about usability. (not critical).

I have a moderated Group. When I hit (can't remember its exact name) "pending members" from the notification menu (upper right on the screen), I'm not driven directly to a list of those members. I had to do some "guessed" navigation around the Community area to locate the link which, in turn, drives me to the pending members list.

I will take a detailed track of this, next time I receive a join request.

speps
2009-01-23, 04:10 PM
With LV disabled, it's working flawlessly. (Damn, I liked a lot the "live" thing).

not for me. :hmm:

U2Lynne
2009-01-23, 05:03 PM
not for me. :hmm:
And this problem only started with the upgrade? Maybe clear your cache of files from the site - perhaps you still have some old files on your computer that are being used?

I've given the developer the error message and I'll see if maybe there is something I can do about it. I'll holler if I turn it back on so you can test it.

Lynne. A different subject this time about usability. (not critical).

I have a moderated Group. When I hit (can't remember its exact name) "pending members" from the notification menu (upper right on the screen), I'm not driven directly to a list of those members. I had to do some "guessed" navigation around the Community area to locate the link which, in turn, drives me to the pending members list.

I will take a detailed track of this, next time I receive a join request.
Hmmm, I've never actually tested that so I don't know where you are supposed to be sent or anything.

speps
2009-01-23, 10:05 PM
test

speps
2009-01-23, 10:07 PM
And this problem only started with the upgrade? Maybe clear your cache of files from the site - perhaps you still have some old files on your computer that are being used?

yes I first noticed it after the upgrade.
It's inly when i post in the quick reply window.

I cleared my cache and I still have the same problem.

spesd
2009-01-23, 11:22 PM
test

dementrium
2009-01-24, 05:39 PM
test 2

U2Lynne
2009-01-24, 06:00 PM
You are here, dementrium. I'd like to turn Live Topic back on with a different time setting and see if you have problems again.

dementrium
2009-01-24, 08:54 PM
Don't know if LT is set, but no problems at the moment.

U2Lynne
2009-01-24, 09:46 PM
Yes, it is on but I made a change in one of the settings. I've been watching the error_logs since I turned it back on and so far haven't seen that same error I was seeing before. I'll keep my fingers crossed that I've fixed at least one issue.

mooncusser
2009-01-24, 09:51 PM
:clap:

rspencer
2009-01-24, 10:23 PM
That annoying little white box with post #s is still in the lower right corner.

No biggie, just wanted to let you know.

U2Lynne
2009-01-24, 10:47 PM
You mean from Live Topic? Yeah, I told the developer about that one. It's on his bug list (but not a high priority right now).

paddington
2009-01-24, 11:07 PM
you know what's great?

The new little notification center 'drop-down' thing that shows up when something is there and goes away after you check it... and the little bar up top for PMs with the person's name, too.. those are great additions :thumbsup

Coasternut
2009-01-25, 12:29 PM
Amazing what a little extra "$sr .=" will do!!! The list should now be fine. You were listed twice on a couple of shows because you didn't stop your client correctly and the tracker didn't get the information to remove you from the peers list. The cleaner will come along an fix that usually within 30 minutes.

Where are you talking about?

At the home page, the link used to direct you to the most recent posts. Not anymore.

U2Lynne
2009-01-25, 12:33 PM
What link? There are several links on the home page. The list to the torrents page is in the same place - under the Torrents dropdown menu. And there is still a New Posts link in the navbar.

edit: Ah ha! I think I know what you are talking about now. There are several links at the top of the home page under the navbar that used to take you to various places on the home page. I will fix those now.

another edit: Fixed.

Coasternut
2009-01-25, 02:22 PM
That's it!

woodstockfan
2009-01-26, 02:57 AM
Hey,

I like how the site is more interactive now, good move.

For some reason, I can't view forums by "last post" like I used to. My settings are set for it and when I click Last Post in the forums, I only get the first post, can't see the newest threads.

(Last Post as opposed to by Last Reply)

Maybe its just on my side as no one has else mentioned it.

Good luck with the upgrade!

U2Lynne
2009-01-26, 09:26 AM
Viewing by Last Post Date is the default. It's actually the way vbulletin is set up to do it. Are you sure you mean Last Post Date instead of First Post Date? Last Post and Last Reply have always been the same thing here. Clicking on those two columns in a forum work just fine for me (don't forget that the Stickies are done separately).

I think I need a bit more clarification cuz I am not seeing what you are.

basementman
2009-01-26, 09:42 AM
Probably the wrong place to post this but...

A few hours ago I tried to enter the site and was given a warning saying access to this site may damage your computer.. something about some part is known to host malware. I should have read it properly so I could have given proper details... sorry.

However I got straight in just now and no warning message.. am I the only person this has happened to ?.

U2Lynne
2009-01-26, 10:14 AM
I haven't heard of that happening at all. The site does go down for a little while (a few minutes) every Monday morning because of some backup scripts I run, but it should just give you a message saying the site is busy or something like that.

If it happens again, can you try to get an image or get me the full error? Thanks!

saltman
2009-01-26, 10:22 AM
He's talking about a security feature of Internet Explorer. Something must have been wrong. Maybe he had another tab open and the message was for another site.

Rest assured there is no malware being distributed from this site.

U2Lynne
2009-01-26, 10:23 AM
He's talking about a security feature of Internet Explorer. Something must have been wrong. Maybe he had another tab open and the message was for another site.

Rest assure there is no malware being distributed from this site.
Thanks, Jonathan. I don't use IE so I'm not familiar with it's peculiarities. :cool:

saltman
2009-01-26, 10:28 AM
This article may be of assistance to the poster regarding the security warning.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360

or this one.
http://25yearsofprogramming.com/blog/2008/20080524.htm

basementman
2009-01-26, 07:52 PM
This article may be of assistance to the poster regarding the security warning.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/174360

or this one.
http://25yearsofprogramming.com/blog/2008/20080524.htm

cheers guys, must have been a an error.. was actually using google chrome when it happened. If it happens again I will grab an image to let you see. First time ive ever seen a message like that.

Wouldn't touch IE with a barge pole

woodstockfan
2009-01-27, 01:55 AM
Hey,

Ok, I'll try!

When I'm in the Audio Torrents forum, I click on First Post and it shows me the threads starting with the first post and an arrow pointing up - like you see too.

It only changes the "direction" of First Post when I click the arrow. Clicking on the text "First Post" keeps it the same.

Viewing by Last Post Date is the default. It's actually the way vbulletin is set up to do it. Are you sure you mean Last Post Date instead of First Post Date? Last Post and Last Reply have always been the same thing here. Clicking on those two columns in a forum work just fine for me (don't forget that the Stickies are done separately).

I think I need a bit more clarification cuz I am not seeing what you are.

U2Lynne
2009-01-27, 09:25 AM
Hey,

Ok, I'll try!

When I'm in the Audio Torrents forum, I click on First Post and it shows me the threads starting with the first post and an arrow pointing up - like you see too.

It only changes the "direction" of First Post when I click the arrow. Clicking on the text "First Post" keeps it the same.
That's how it's always worked. You may click on the column heading to sort by that heading, but once that heading is the 'active' one the list is being sorted by, you need to click the arrow to change the direction it is being sorted by. If you were able to click the heading before to change the direction, then I goofed in my html before cuz it was always just supposed to be the arrow.

Homebrew101
2009-01-28, 12:23 PM
I noticed that Babylon is not listed in the dropdown Forums menu...not that I go there but

U2Lynne
2009-01-28, 12:30 PM
I can add that in. Thanks for pointing it out!

daddyray
2009-01-28, 06:21 PM
how does one quit a social group here? I cannot find a "switch" for that if I wanted to use it.

uninvited94
2009-01-28, 06:22 PM
how does one quit a social group here? I cannot find a "switch" for that if I wanted to use it.

You can check out anytime you like, but you can never leave. :wave:

daddyray
2009-01-28, 06:23 PM
great help:wave:

dementrium
2009-01-28, 06:27 PM
"leave group" link bottom center. Just tried.

daddyray
2009-01-28, 06:36 PM
thanks a lot Dementrium

U2Lynne
2009-01-28, 09:54 PM
seeders/leech/completed does not display when searching by tag... at least in stg theme
OK, I think I finally got this right, at least in the default theme. :)

dementrium
2009-01-29, 09:39 PM
IE 7/Vista Biz

I'm experiencing the same problems again (apparently) with the LT feature when having multiple tabs opened & some of the them marked as LT.

Now, opening topics on new browser windows seems to be fine. http://www.freesmileys.org/smileys/smiley-whacky077.gif

U2Lynne
2009-01-31, 10:06 AM
Sorry I didn't see this yesterday when I got back, but I've now disabled Live Topic so you should be fine again.

You were fine for a while, right? I wonder what happened to change that. :hmm:

dementrium
2009-01-31, 10:27 AM
Yes, it's strange. :hmm: Anyway, if LT is activated again, I'll try to accomodate my browsing behaviour to one that suits well with it. (<- makes sense? :hmm:)
Also, it seems like I'm the only one with the problem, so don't worry.

Thanks, U2L :thumbsup

U2Lynne
2009-02-02, 11:43 AM
Yes, it's strange. :hmm: Anyway, if LT is activated again, I'll try to accomodate my browsing behaviour to one that suits well with it. (<- makes sense? :hmm:)
Also, it seems like I'm the only one with the problem, so don't worry.

Thanks, U2L :thumbsup
I posted a visitor Message for you (actually, a couple) about some changes I've made. I also just upgraded to the latest Live Topic. So, go ahead and reply to me via the Visitor Messages about what you notice on the site.

willndmb
2009-02-02, 07:23 PM
not sure if its related because i didn't read the whole thread but my pop up PM box has stopped working
it has happened in the past too
yes my show pop up box in checked in prefs

U2Lynne
2009-02-02, 07:28 PM
Yeah, we have a box that shows at the top of the page now under the navbar instead. And, you will also see it say "Your Notifications: x" if you have any (that that will dropdown to say if it's Private Messages, Visitor Messages, or whatever kinda of notification you have awaiting you).

cicada
2009-02-07, 04:55 PM
um... is there some way to remove an entry I placed on another members visitor page? I intended to send a PM and all these new features have pushed my poor overworked mind beyond it's limits. I found it possible to edit but now there is a permanent entry that just does not belong.

U2Lynne
2009-02-07, 05:07 PM
um... is there some way to remove an entry I placed on another members visitor page? I intended to send a PM and all these new features have pushed my poor overworked mind beyond it's limits. I found it possible to edit but now there is a permanent entry that just does not belong.
That isn't an option I am able to turn on (it doesn't exist). The user themselves may remove the message. You could edit it to say "Remove Me" or something and hopefully they see it and remove it. You may also Report It (I think?) and ask the mods to remove it.

(And yeah, a bunch of new features... I'm still getting used to them also. I've tried to write up some helpful posts about them in the New TTD Features (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63480) thread.)

imaster1
2009-02-09, 03:56 AM
hi to all i uploaded the following torrent yesterday :- Bruce Springsteen - 1975-09-12 Municipal Auditorium, Austin i see it is no longer on the tracker but according to my u torrent im still seeding it can someone tell me if it has been removed from the tracker & if there is a problem with it many thanks

AAR.oner
2009-02-09, 06:27 AM
hi to all i uploaded the following torrent yesterday :- Bruce Springsteen - 1975-09-12 Municipal Auditorium, Austin i see it is no longer on the tracker but according to my u torrent im still seeding it can someone tell me if it has been removed from the tracker & if there is a problem with it many thanks

it was pulled...see the last post in the thread:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=69557

Timli2
2009-02-09, 08:06 AM
Is there still a way to sort by Soundboard, matrix, studio, etc.?

I have not been able to find it. :hmm:

Timli2
2009-02-09, 08:10 AM
Sorry, found it

allaboutme
2009-02-10, 03:45 PM
Wow, I haven't read through everything, but it certainly seems effed up on my computer. The torrents page just seems to keep loading over and over. Never goes anywhere.

Okay, I take that back. It's the home page.

Okay, I take THAT back. It's when I select audio torrents from the torrent page that never seems to go anywhere. Used to list the pages, but all I see is the first ten torrents. Unless it is just super slow in loading.

U2Lynne
2009-02-10, 03:54 PM
If you want to see *all* the audio torrents, then click on the Audio Torrent forum link on the Home page. I used to have a link to that by the list of torrents (as well as a link to the Video Torrents forums). The Home page (forums/index.php) only shows the 10 most recent torrents. I can add back the All Audio Torrents and All Video Torrents links, but the forums are right there on the page too (in fact you have to go past them in order to get to that list.)

edit: I did add a link down there to the torrents page so you can see the full list of torrents. But, as I said, all you have to do to get the Audio or Video torrents list is click on the forum name itself.

Paul56
2009-02-10, 08:38 PM
Nice Job on the upgrade!

I wanted to say thanks for all you do to keep the site running smooth!

U2Lynne
2009-02-11, 11:17 AM
Nice Job on the upgrade!

I wanted to say thanks for all you do to keep the site running smooth!
I think all three of us - TTD, TapeCity, and PlanetRock - all did the upgrade within a week of each other. It seems to have gone smoothly (mostly) for all three sites. I'd say Thanks is in order to all three for a pretty smooth transition to the new version of vbulletin.

Daren Johnson
2009-02-12, 08:54 PM
Booo. Everything is moving in SLOW MO. Takes way too long to do anything . Way too much going on. Server is too busy. If it aint' broke, Don't fix it. O'well.... just gonna take a little longer ...I'll wait. Your still the best.....:D

rspencer
2009-02-12, 09:12 PM
I haven't noticed any lag. :hmm:

U2Lynne
2009-02-12, 10:37 PM
Booo. Everything is moving in SLOW MO. Takes way too long to do anything . Way too much going on. Server is too busy. If it aint' broke, Don't fix it. O'well.... just gonna take a little longer ...I'll wait. Your still the best.....:D
Server load hasn't changed at all. In fact, it's better than ever because they have optimized the code quite a bit in the last two major revisions. What exactly is taking so long to do?

Karst
2009-02-13, 07:49 AM
Same here, lots of peers and no seeds.

U2Lynne
2009-02-13, 09:13 AM
I didn't do a think to the tracker when we upgraded. It's still exactly the same.

Karst
2009-02-13, 09:47 AM
Well, in every peer list where I'm seeding I'm now appearing twice. Although I'm thinking the LZ Bristol Colston Hall might be slowing things down. There seems to be a *lot* of people on that one and it is not moving much at all. Probably because the seeder is firewalled (?).

On a side note, I got the Morrissey show last night but is now saying that it is a 0% while I'm listening to it now. Never had any problems with the software that I'm using, might be my ISP. Restarted the whole thing twice today.

U2Lynne
2009-02-13, 11:16 AM
The Bristol Colston show has a lot of leechers. It will move slowly because of that. I don't see you listed twice on any torrents. If you don't close your bt client properly, or you have it set to constantly change ports, you will show up on the list twice until the cleaner comes along and deletes the ghost listing.

valcom2
2009-02-15, 09:34 AM
I used to be able to tell easily what torrents I had looked at previously because they would be a lighter color and the non-looked at were bold. Now they are all the same, so I have no idea where I left off. It is more clicks to view just audio torrents beyond the "10 most recent", but I think I've figured that out. Change is always inconvenient, unless it is a dramatic upgrade, just because you have to think a little more.

U2Lynne
2009-02-15, 10:23 AM
Nothing has changed in how threads are marked. When you come onto the site and go to the ABT or VBT forums (or any forum), the threads in bold are all threads that have new messages since the last time you were here. Are you not seeing any threads in bold any longer?

Just to clarify, I didn't upgrade the site simply because I felt like it or because I wanted some new features. The version we were running, 3.6.x has been deemed 'end-of-life' which means we don't get any more security updates for it. And that means that as the hackers are continually trying to figure out new ways to deface sites, if there is a security hole in a 3.6.x version, it will not be addressed for that series. Patches will come out for the 3.7.x series, and the 3.8.x series, but not the one we were running.

rspencer
2009-02-15, 04:52 PM
Whatever, Lynne. We know you just wanted to be part of the "cool" group at vbulletin. :D

U2Lynne
2009-02-15, 05:13 PM
Whatever, Lynne. We know you just wanted to be part of the "cool" group at vbulletin. :D
You know it - I wanna relive my high school days! :thumbsup :D

valcom2
2009-02-16, 09:49 AM
No, the difference is that now all the threads are bold all the time. I have even tried looking at several, logging off, then immediately logging back on just to see what I just finished looking at and all threads are still bold. This holds wheether I am logged on at home or at work. It's not really a big deal, I was just pointing out a difference as a result of the change because there are often unanticipated results from software upgrades. Sometimes they can be changed, sometimes you just need to get used to it because it is now different. Just providing feedback.

[QUOTE=U2Lynne;1093768]Nothing has changed in how threads are marked. When you come onto the site and go to the ABT or VBT forums (or any forum), the threads in bold are all threads that have new messages since the last time you were here. Are you not seeing any threads in bold any longer?

U2Lynne
2009-02-16, 10:37 AM
No, the difference is that now all the threads are bold all the time. I have even tried looking at several, logging off, then immediately logging back on just to see what I just finished looking at and all threads are still bold. This holds wheether I am logged on at home or at work. It's not really a big deal, I was just pointing out a difference as a result of the change because there are often unanticipated results from software upgrades. Sometimes they can be changed, sometimes you just need to get used to it because it is now different. Just providing feedback.

Very strange. You are the first to bring this up (it's not happening to me). Have you tried clearing the cookies for the site and clearing your cache and then logging in again and seeing if that fixes it? Or, select Quick Links > Mark Forums Read and see if that fixes it.

Also, what browser are you using? And what style (bottom left corner). Try changing the style and see if it is still happening with another style.

direwolf-pgh
2009-02-16, 11:30 AM
its not happening here either.. bold if not read, regular text if I've visited/read the thread.
the issue is not on the server-side, sorry valcom.

valcom2
2009-02-17, 09:22 AM
Very strange. You are the first to bring this up (it's not happening to me). Have you tried clearing the cookies for the site and clearing your cache and then logging in again and seeing if that fixes it? Or, select Quick Links > Mark Forums Read and see if that fixes it.

Also, what browser are you using? And what style (bottom left corner). Try changing the style and see if it is still happening with another style.

I was in the TTD default. Tried all the others with no change. Tried the Mark Forums Read, also no change. I will try clearing cache and cookies when I get home, don't want to alter that at work. One thought, I am color blind so if the change is more a subtle color change now rather than a very light vs very dark text change, it is possible I simply cannot see it now.

paddington
2009-02-17, 09:26 AM

I was in the TTD default. Tried all the others with no change. Tried the Mark Forums Read, also no change. I will try clearing cache and cookies when I get home, don't want to alter that at work. One thought, I am color blind so if the change is more a subtle color change now rather than a very light vs very dark text change, it is possible I simply cannot see it now.

I'm wondering if your browser is set to ignore style changes.

Can you check
Internet Options > General Tab > Accessibility
and uncheck all 4 options?

then close all browser sessions, reboot, and try again?

U2Lynne
2009-02-17, 09:36 AM
I didn't change any colors at all - the style and all css for it was left the same. If you hit New Posts - do you get some huge list or just a couple of threads? If just a couple of threads, then the data regarding what is read and what isn't is being saved just fine.

Read and unread threads will only show in the forums, not on the torrents.php page. You are talking about in the Audio or Video Torrents forums page, right?

valcom2
2009-02-17, 09:49 AM
I didn't change any colors at all - the style and all css for it was left the same. If you hit New Posts - do you get some huge list or just a couple of threads? If just a couple of threads, then the data regarding what is read and what isn't is being saved just fine.

Read and unread threads will only show in the forums, not on the torrents.php page. You are talking about in the Audio or Video Torrents forums page, right?

Maybe this is the disconnect. I am speaking of the torrents list itself. In the past, all the torrents added since I was last logged on were in bold and a darker color, the ones that were on the list previously, whether I had opened them up or not, were in a lighter color (wish I could say what the color was, but it is one of the ones I couldn't tell you what it is, probably a purple or dark blue). I have tried all the suggestions except clearing cookies and cache, which I will try at home. Here, I am using IE 6.0 which seems to have problems with displays on other sites as well. I appreciate the efforts, but it probably is not worth the time to "fix" something that only impacts me, and is not that great a problem anyway. I can adapt.

paddington
2009-02-17, 09:51 AM

I'm wondering if your browser is set to ignore style changes.

Can you check
Internet Options > General Tab > Accessibility
and uncheck all 4 options?

then close all browser sessions, reboot, and try again?.

paddington
2009-02-17, 10:01 AM
Regarding pop-up notifications for PMs.. those seem to be gone?

I do notice that it makes a little bar at the top of a page, but it only seems to do that for the first page load... subsequent page loads don't have the bar and the only notification is the bolded number in the top-right box.

Is there a way to make the PM notification more noticeable, again?

saltman
2009-02-17, 10:28 AM
I noticed the option is still there in the User Controls for messaging popups, but it doesn't seem to work.

paddington
2009-02-17, 10:33 AM
I noticed the option is still there in the User Controls for messaging popups, but it doesn't seem to work. I saw that and was wondering if it now only pertains to the notifier bar that comes up... which is ok.. if it came up until the messages were read, but it only seems to show up once, then never again if you don't happen to see it on that page-load :hmm:

U2Lynne
2009-02-17, 10:34 AM
Maybe this is the disconnect. I am speaking of the torrents list itself. In the past, all the torrents added since I was last logged on were in bold and a darker color, the ones that were on the list previously, whether I had opened them up or not, were in a lighter color (wish I could say what the color was, but it is one of the ones I couldn't tell you what it is, probably a purple or dark blue). I have tried all the suggestions except clearing cookies and cache, which I will try at home. Here, I am using IE 6.0 which seems to have problems with displays on other sites as well. I appreciate the efforts, but it probably is not worth the time to "fix" something that only impacts me, and is not that great a problem anyway. I can adapt.
This page here - http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/torrents.php?tor=list - has never had bold or non-bold thread titles. I have never had any code in that page that checks to see if the thread has been read before. This page here - http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12 - should have some threads in bold when you first come to the site.

Is the second one the page you are having problems with or the first link?

Regarding pop-up notifications for PMs.. those seem to be gone?

I do notice that it makes a little bar at the top of a page, but it only seems to do that for the first page load... subsequent page loads don't have the bar and the only notification is the bolded number in the top-right box.

Is there a way to make the PM notification more noticeable, again?
The notification at the top replaced the popups. If people don't like that, I can go back to the old way. It's up to you guys.

paddington
2009-02-17, 10:35 AM
I'm fine with it.. liked it better, actually, but it doesn't seem to stay beyond the first page load. I keep missing it.

U2Lynne
2009-02-17, 10:39 AM
I'm fine with it.. liked it better, actually, but it doesn't seem to stay beyond the first page load. I keep missing it.
You should at least have a Your Notifications link under your name if you have a PM waiting for you.

paddington
2009-02-17, 10:42 AM
yes, but I don't look at me name much :lol:

with a 24" screen, that corner is waaayy away from where I'm looking most of the time. People ask for help, and I might not see it for an hour sometimes.

if we can't make the banner thing persist, can we recolor the notification string to bright green or something so it stands out a bit more?

U2Lynne
2009-02-17, 11:18 AM
if we can't make the banner thing persist, can we recolor the notification string to bright green or something so it stands out a bit more?
Just for you..... it will now go to the same beautiful color that all us mods love when we select several posts or threads to do something with.... suggestions on color welcome. :D

paddington
2009-02-17, 01:22 PM
ooh ooh.... awesome! got my attention right away just now.

thanks! :clap:

the yellow is perfect

(does this mean I could accidentally merge my status box with a thread, now? :hmm: )

valcom2
2009-02-17, 01:29 PM
[QUOTE=U2Lynne;1095087]This page here - http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/torrents.php?tor=list - has never had bold or non-bold thread titles. I have never had any code in that page that checks to see if the thread has been read before. This page here - http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=12 - should have some threads in bold when you first come to the site.

The second page is the one I always used before, but I don't seem to get that now when I indicate I want audio torrents. I get the page that looks like your first link. Now this sounds more like a site navigation operator error ---me.

rspencer
2009-02-17, 04:39 PM
Ah, the dreaded bio-interface error. :)

U2Lynne
2009-02-17, 06:47 PM
ooh ooh.... awesome! got my attention right away just now.

thanks! :clap:

the yellow is perfect

(does this mean I could accidentally merge my status box with a thread, now? :hmm: )
Oh My God. *Please* stay away from the Merge button when you have a notice, Gilligan! :eek2:

The second page is the one I always used before, but I don't seem to get that now when I indicate I want audio torrents. I get the page that looks like your first link. Now this sounds more like a site navigation operator error ---me.
The list on the first page is just a list of the 10 most recent threads. They do not get marked read or unread. If you want the Audio Torrents list, then click on the Audio Torrents forum link which you reach on the way down the page to the list. Actually, you are the second person to be confused by this. I think I'll just add a link in the purple bar for All Audio Torrents and All Video Torrents.

valcom2
2009-02-18, 10:18 AM
I think that would be a great idea.

U2Lynne
2009-02-18, 10:22 AM
I think that would be a great idea.
All ready done! I hope that helps.

valcom2
2009-02-18, 10:23 AM
Oh My God. *Please* stay away from the Merge button when you have a notice, Gilligan! :eek2:

The list on the first page is just a list of the 10 most recent threads. They do not get marked read or unread. If you want the Audio Torrents list, then click on the Audio Torrents forum link which you reach on the way down the page to the list. Actually, you are the second person to be confused by this. I think I'll just add a link in the purple bar for All Audio Torrents and All Video Torrents.

I just tried with the new link and everything works great. This makes it very easy to get where I am trying to go. Thank You.

c-bn
2009-03-06, 09:45 AM
What happened to the "Torrents needing seeds" forum or the "Orphaned torrents" section? It was a good place to build share ratio and give back to the community. Oops just found it in the drop-down for the torrents section.:duh:

U2Lynne
2009-03-06, 10:45 AM
What happened to the "Torrents needing seeds" forum or the "Orphaned torrents" section? It was a good place to build share ratio and give back to the community. Oops just found it in the drop-down for the torrents section.:duh:
They weren't a forum. They were just listed on a page - Torrent List (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/torrents.php?tor=list) That page has always been linked to under the Torrents dropdown in the navbar.

rainy12
2009-03-26, 10:09 AM
Big thanks for "Your Seeding Opportunities". It will stand nicely next to sliced bread.

U2Lynne
2009-03-26, 11:23 AM
Big thanks for "Your Seeding Opportunities". It will stand nicely next to sliced bread.
Glad you like it. One of our Mods suggested it and I coded it yesterday. Hopefully it is useful to people to help keep the torrents going.

rainy12
2009-03-26, 05:49 PM
Well now that I have multiple pages, is there a structure to the "Your Seeding Opportunities" listing? It appears that those torrents that have leeches but no seeders are listed first. What is the rest of the ordering? Thanks.

U2Lynne
2009-03-26, 09:01 PM
I had it default to put those shows with leechers first. The others are in no particular order at all except whatever mysql feels like doing at the time it grabs them.

LuvGlimmerTwins
2009-03-27, 11:22 AM
I like the 'seeding opportunities' addition--thank you kindly :clap:

Ma98734
2009-03-28, 06:47 PM
The seeding opportunities is a great feature, and it works beautifully, however may I suggest any way of removing certain torrents from the list?

I mean, I got this show a long time ago, and I deleted it off my hard-drive for an upgrade, but it stills shows up on the list.

Cheers and congratulations!

U2Lynne
2009-03-29, 01:25 PM
The seeding opportunities is a great feature, and it works beautifully, however may I suggest any way of removing certain torrents from the list?

I mean, I got this show a long time ago, and I deleted it off my hard-drive for an upgrade, but it stills shows up on the list.

Cheers and congratulations!
Interesting suggestion to remove some shows from the list. I'll have to think about that one.

If you archived the show, don't forget that all you have to do to help reseed it is transfer it back to your harddrive, download the torrent file, and then point it to the files on your drive.

shopkin
2009-04-01, 09:36 AM
tried using the mobile on my iphone but now all i get i a white blank screen and no way to get back to the regular mode......

U2Lynne
2009-04-01, 09:48 AM
Really? That's weird. To get back to 'normal', you can type in http://www.thetradersden.org/index.php?styleid=7

shopkin
2009-04-01, 10:02 AM
thank you lynne.....ill keep trying the mobile to see if it works.......

U2Lynne
2009-04-01, 11:28 AM
thank you lynne.....ill keep trying the mobile to see if it works.......
That is odd. Several of the mods and a few of the users have used that skin to browse and post. You may want to start a new thread just about the Mobile Skin and we can have people comment in it regarding problems. You are the first to say you got a blank screen.