PDA

View Full Version : Soundcard Advice Needed

digit
2009-01-13, 09:29 AM
Looking for recommendations of soundcards for my new computer build.

Running XP Pro x64

Seeking a HQ card with both digital and analog I/O. I don't want the card to re-sample incoming data but keep it in whatever sample rate the data is in (i.e. bringing 48k DAT signal in via digi cable, I want to re-sample in SoundForge or other SW program NOT have the card automatically put me into 44.1)

Any ideas? I have heard decent things about M Audio.

Thanks!

Jerm
2009-01-13, 10:06 AM
The Turtle Beach Montego isn't a bad value for the $$$.

http://www.turtlebeach.com/products/mtgoddl/home.aspx

There are certainly higher end cards available, but this has pass-through for optical input...

digit
2009-01-13, 12:26 PM
Doesn't look like 64 bit is supported for XP Pro.

Thanks

Five
2009-01-16, 10:21 AM
have you had a problem before with resampling? just select your sample rate, away you go. I've used E-MU0404 at 48kHz lots with no known problems. m-audio is also great, for $120 you can't go wrong. I'm not certain about 64bit support, however

zapattack
2009-01-16, 05:02 PM
I have a M-Audio Delta 1010. Some people have said that they have problems with it but I haven't. It has one s/pdif in and out. It has 8 in 8 out analog and really high quality DACs. It's obviously a PCI card and a breakout box with a 10 foot multipin to hook it up. It can do a host of other things, and you needn't worry about sampling rates, it can handle them very well, it automatically figures out what sample rate you're outputing at and adjusts itself accordingly, so it outputs at the data's sample rate. It also has ASIO drivers. Anyways you can read up on it, and download the manual from the M-Audio site. From what I've heard, if you want better than that, there's RME, some of which has more digital I/O than the Delta 1010, and there's Apogee which also makes good soundcards. I picked up my Delta for 200$ used, and new I think they retailed somewhere around 750$, but you can definitely get them for less. Like you said, M-Audio makes decent cards, but there is better.

dude87
2009-01-16, 10:32 PM
have you had a problem before with resampling? just select your sample rate, away you go. I've used E-MU0404 at 48kHz lots with no known problems. m-audio is also great, for $120 you can't go wrong. I'm not certain about 64bit support, however

Soundblaster (among other cards) will resample - you can have a 48k source, set your sample rate to 48k and the card will still resample the input. M-Audio, E-MU and Turtle Beach (among cards listed in this thread) don't resample, they truly pass straight through.

zeek
2009-01-22, 08:08 PM
The 1010 lt m-audio is good for DAT from what others have said. Good bang for the buck Check craigslist for good deals