PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions for a new sound card

kev7intahoe
2009-01-06, 02:02 PM
I want to get a new sound card. So I thought I'd ask the pro's. :lol:

I eventually want to start taping show's, so I am looking for a direction into what would be need (or quality) for transfers. I've searched around but I think we are all aware that we will live in an age of lot's of choices. So if anyone can help with a little guidance that would be awesome.

Thanks in advance...

Kev

dorrcoq
2009-01-06, 02:59 PM
Digital recorders aren't dependent on the soundcard for transferring to the computer. Nice to have good sound for your playback and editing, though!:)

Five
2009-01-08, 11:51 PM
m-audio audiophile 2496 is very popular, only about $120

I've also used E-MU0404 & Edirol UX-1EX which are about the same price & quality.

nice to have a card like this for playback (absolutely necessary if you want to listen to 24bit), but like dorrcoq said its not necessary for taping unless you use cassettes or dat.

cmaz
2009-01-09, 10:18 AM
i don't pretend to be up to date on this, but wasn't/isn't Turtle Beach considered to be one of the top sound cards (and fairly inexpensive as well)?

paddington
2009-01-09, 02:00 PM
Echo MIA is WONDERFUL for balanced-tranformer-isolated audio transfers.. about $120, PCI.

Depends on your recorder.. as doorcoq said, if your recorder will output the digital info, you don't need a soundcard to get it on your computer. If your recorder has balanced outputs (impedance-wise), def get a balanced audio card for analog transfers.

The Echo MIA will do both balanced analog in & out AND SPDIF digital I/O.