PDA

View Full Version : XLD OS X ripper - very basic problem

theSeaHawk
2008-12-18, 09:36 PM
I noticed some XLD threads in this forum... are many of you on Macs using XLD? will it be made a sanctioned ripper here?

On a very much more basic level: I installed it last night and ripped disc 2 of The Who Toronto 1975 from HB. First rips went fine and I liked the how the log described some issues with one track.

Problem is, now XLD will not produce a log after I rip anything, no matter how I change the settings. In the rip panel I have checked always automatically save log file. But whereas on the first rip the log opened when the rip completed, now no log opens and none is saved to the folder where I am ripping tracks.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

thanks

direwolf-pgh
2008-12-18, 09:39 PM
nuke the preference file

theSeaHawk
2008-12-18, 09:53 PM
How do I do that?

U2Lynne
2008-12-18, 10:59 PM
My guess would be this is the file to trash (I'd save a renamed copy somewhere just in case) - /yourname/Library/Preferences/jp.tmkk.XLD.plist

theSeaHawk
2008-12-19, 08:26 PM
Ok, I located and trashed the preference file but the behavior persisted. I figured out what was going on by noticing that:

XLD lets you rip from File > Open as well as File > Open Audio CD.
For some reason (probably staying up too late) I started ripping via the first option, then locating the tracks in finder. Do it that way and yes, you get a rip, but no log is generated.

thanks, Lynne and direwolf, for weighing in to help!

AAR.oner
2008-12-20, 07:34 AM
I noticed some XLD threads in this forum... are many of you on Macs using XLD? will it be made a sanctioned ripper here?

thats a good question...seems like we should add it to the allowed ripping programs, seeing as it uses the cdparanoia-III 10.2 engine...and it gives you an extraction log [which xACT doesn't do]

ffooky
2008-12-20, 07:51 AM
Much as xACT was the bee's knees when it first appeared, its ripping function really cannot be compared with XLD's :

http://img212.imageshack.us/img212/2886/xlduo3.th.jpg (http://img212.imageshack.us/my.php?image=xlduo3.jpg)

AAR.oner
2008-12-20, 08:06 AM
werd, we need to update the FAQ to include XLD as an allowed Mac ripper [actually, we need to note it is now the preferred Mac ripper]

hey Lynne....... :wave:

theSeaHawk
2008-12-20, 08:24 AM
If it gets added, I'd be able to provide my first upload, a Who gig from '75...

... Since some advocates weighed in, am I correct in understanding one thing XLD doesn't do is checksums?

ffooky
2008-12-20, 09:02 AM
... Since some advocates weighed in, am I correct in understanding one thing XLD doesn't do is checksums?
Nope, you still need xACT for those.

U2Lynne
2008-12-20, 10:49 AM
I will change our FAQ to allow this. I'd like to phase out xACT as the preferred ripper but we need to get the word out first.