PDA

View Full Version : video download times

Augustwest1
2008-11-15, 04:39 PM
I'm new to this . . . using BitTornado.

I'm pretty sure I'm set up right, because I've got the "green light" telling me that I am. However, the video I'm downloading is estimated to take about 14 hours. It's big (3 DVDs), and its been around for some time (so there may not be many other people downloading or uploading it), but I'm wondering if this is a normal amount of time to torrent something like this.

Thanks!!

U2Lynne
2008-11-15, 04:50 PM
Yes, that is very normal. In fact, sometimes it will take a day just for one DVD to download. It really depends on the uploader's upload speed.

rspencer
2008-11-15, 11:23 PM
Haha. 3 DVDs & few seeders/leechers?

You should be thankful for 14 hours. I've had a single DVD take days before in that kind of situation.

mooncusser
2008-11-15, 11:30 PM
14 hours? :eek:

remember the olden days when people traded by snail mail? http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v319/tankexmortis/Smileys/th_Silly_avatar_by_Dicx.gif

AAR.oner
2008-11-16, 12:25 AM
remember the olden days when people traded by snail mail? http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v319/tankexmortis/Smileys/th_Silly_avatar_by_Dicx.gif

yeah, back when the usps could deliver a package in less than two weeks :lol:

habalushy
2008-11-17, 02:39 PM
14 hours? sounds like you've got a good download speed going

Augustwest1
2008-11-17, 07:29 PM
It wasn't a complaint -- mostly just making sure I had things set up right.

And yes, I remember before the days of UPS and snail mail, copying cassettes in real time. There was something to be said for having to kill 90+ minutes listening to live Dead, but this definitely is progress!

So another silly question: I've d/l a couple vids, I want to do my part to move things along. But, I'm not sure exactly what, if anything, I need to do (and I'm not asking about firewall issues...)

In other words, what exactly do I need to do to help pass along what I've already downloaded?

Thanks (again)!

U2Lynne
2008-11-17, 10:32 PM
In other words, what exactly do I need to do to help pass along what I've already downloaded?
You want to now allow others to get the show from you. This is what people generally talk about as 'keeping your window open'. You leave the torrent 'on' so others can now download the show from you. This makes your ratio go up (a ratio of downloaded to uploaded). Having a ratio of 1 or more is what many users try to keep.