PDA

View Full Version : Invalid File

Dave Haladay
2008-10-20, 02:53 PM
I went to download a show today and it won't open it because it says
that it is an Invalid Torrent File. What gives? Would renewing my WinRar
account have anything to do with this problem?

Five
2008-10-20, 03:02 PM
winrar has nothing to do with it

what client & operating system are you using?

you might want to check the faq link up top of the page as well

hope this helps

U2Lynne
2008-10-20, 03:03 PM
A link to the thread would help so we can check it out. If, when you renewed WinRar is somehow took over ownership of your .torrent files, then yes I think that could cause you problems.

edit: Hmmm, Jamie posted at the same time. Jamie, don't some applications try to take over ownership of some file extensions when you upgrade? If not, please ignore my comment about that above.

Dave Haladay
2008-10-20, 03:09 PM
A link to the thread would help so we can check it out. If, when you renewed WinRar is somehow took over ownership of your .torrent files, then yes I think that could cause you problems.

edit: Hmmm, Jamie posted at the same time. Jamie, don't some applications try to take over ownership of some file extensions when you upgrade? If not, please ignore my comment about that above.

I haven't renewed it yet. I am using Bit Torrent 6.1.1. Also, I can download from the Dimedozen sight with no problem!!!

Dave Haladay
2008-10-20, 03:34 PM
I haven't renewed it yet. I am using Bit Torrent 6.1.1. Also, I can download from the Dimedozen sight with no problem!!!

I am using Windows XP, by the way.

direwolf-pgh
2008-10-20, 09:00 PM
sounds more like an IE browser issue. (it doesnt know what to do with a .torrent file)

from the menu bar: tools > internet options > Advanced tab > reset

Five
2008-10-21, 12:20 PM
I'm stumped, should be the same for dime as it is for here :hmm:

U2Lynne
2008-10-21, 12:44 PM
I'm stumped, should be the same for dime as it is for here :hmm:
Nope. When you download there, it is a direct .torrent file. When you download from here, it goes through attachment.php and then that spits out the .torrent file. It's done just a little bit differently since it's a different application to do the serving.

Five
2008-10-21, 01:49 PM
oops, I didn't know that :redface:

maybe try downloading the torrent and opening it locally? perhaps also drag and drop onto the client to avoid any peculiar "open this program with..." associations (if that's part of the trouble...)

Five
2008-10-23, 05:56 PM
just noticed this (a 1st post)
I just tried to pick this up, and uTorrent says it's an invalid torrent tile.

Anyone know why?

thanks for any help.

:hmm:

I'll point him over to this thread maybe we can figure out this problem... :(

Stranger09
2008-10-24, 02:49 AM
Re: Iggy Pop 1987-xx-xx Club 1018 NYC (FLAC)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I just tried to pick this up, and uTorrent says it's an invalid torrent tile.

Anyone know why?

thanks for any help.

U2Lynne
2008-10-24, 09:57 AM
Did you try just saving to your harddrive and then starting the torrent from there? Have you ever used torrent files before? Can you get any other torrents to start from this site (I notice your stats are 0/0/0 so I'm wondering if this happens for every torrent file here). What OS are you running?

(The torrent starts right up with Azureus for me...)

Stranger09
2008-10-24, 01:01 PM
Hi I'm not that knowledgeable but I've used 5 or so torrent sites over the last couple of months - all through uTorrent

I'm reluctant to try another torrenting service...finally sussing out how to work uTorrent was hard enough.

A shame, as that's an Iggy show I'd been looking out for for years.

Five
2008-10-24, 01:17 PM
don't change utorrent... try downloading the torrent file to your desktop, then double-click or drag it into uTorrent from there. it might fix the problem (?)

U2Lynne
2008-10-24, 02:28 PM
Try what Five suggested. Also, please try downloading another torrent from this site and see if you still have the problem. That way we can tell if it's just that torrent or any torrent here.

The more information you can supply, the easier it is for us to troubleshoot it.

direwolf-pgh
2008-10-24, 04:26 PM
sounds more like an IE browser issue. (it doesnt know what to do with a .torrent file)

from the menu bar: tools > internet options > Advanced tab > reset:bump: we've been here before

U2Lynne
2008-10-24, 04:29 PM

from the menu bar: tools > internet options > Advanced tab > reset:bump: we've been here before
Yeah, well, what do I know about PCs or IE anyway? :lol:

Stranger09
2008-10-24, 08:14 PM
Thank you both, saving the torrent file to my desktop and then doubleclicking it has worked!

Now hopefully someone will be seeding it :)

Five
2008-10-25, 01:21 AM
glad to hear this workaround did the trick, you're welcome

I wish I knew why it doesn't work 'the normal way' but for now its a mystery

inspector clouseau
2008-10-25, 03:56 AM
lets see. it works in the OS, but not in browser.

there is no mystery here.