PDA

View Full Version : I'm firewalled, I guess...

jsol
2008-10-09, 07:46 PM
I'm kind of new to this, so excuse me if I sound really ignorant ... but I am.

Here's the scoop. As of several weeks ago, I could download files no problem. A couple of things have happened since then:

1_ My ISP upgraded our service.
2_ I've switched my router mode from hard wired to wireless
3_ My destination folder (for files to be downloaded to) was accidentally relocated

Last week, I tried to download files, and all of a sudden, I am firewalled. I check with my router manufacturer – they say it's my ISP. I check with my ISP – they say all ports are open. I check CanYouSeeMe.org and every port I enter says it's blocked.

I'm not really sure which port I should be using, so it's really hard for me to test a single port. My system configuration is the following:

MAC
OS 10.4.11
2 GHZ Intel Core Duo
1 GB 677 MHz DDR2 SDRAM

Airport Wireless Extreme router (apple)

AT&T hi speed DSL internet service.

I would really appreciate any help anyone is willing to offer. I really love the site, but unfortunately, something happened and I cannot use it any longer. Please help. Thanks!

U2Lynne
2008-10-09, 09:54 PM
You didn't say which bittorrent client you use, so I picked Azureus since that is what I use on my Mac. Here is a link to a guide to forward your ports - http://www.portforward.com/english/routers/port_forwarding/Apple/AirPortExtreme/Azureus.htm See if that helps.

jsolak
2008-10-10, 08:13 AM
I'm not sure which bittorrent client I use (not even entirely sure what that is)... I can tell you that when I click to download a file, a torrent file appears on my desktop. When I double click on that, Opera launches and the files begins to download. After the download, I use xACT to change from FLAC format to others for burning to a cd.

U2Lynne
2008-10-10, 09:45 AM
I would not use Opera to download shows. I would download an application that is made for downloading torrents. I would strongly recommend Azureus. There are others mentioned in the Software Links (http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/faq.php?faq=new_faq_item#faq_software) part of the FAQ.

jsol
2008-10-10, 08:13 PM
Thanks for your help. I've just downloaded Azureus and went through the port forwarding instructions, and when I try to check on canyouseeme.org, it still says connection refused.

U2Lynne
2008-10-10, 08:22 PM
Did you set yourself up with a (local) static IP as explained here - http://www.portforward.com/networking/static-Mac10.4.htm ?

U2Lynne
2008-10-10, 08:37 PM
No. If your router has and address like that, they your local IP will be something like 10.0.1.xxx . Then you will enter that same IP into your router to forward the ports to it.

jsol
2008-10-10, 08:44 PM
When I do that, I get a message in the Airport Admin Utility that says that number is in conflict with the WAN IP Address.

I looked at the numbers in my airport admin tool and network prefs which give me the following numbers:

Airport Admin Tool
(Using DHCP)
IP Address: 69.183.102.29
Router Address: 69.183.102.30

Network Prefs
(Using DHCP)
IP Address: 10.0.1.200
Router Address: 10.0.1.1

If I change both to manually and follow the directions for setting up the static IP, I cannot connect to the internet. If I change the numbers in both of these areas to match each other, I can't connect to the internet.