PDA

View Full Version : DHT Question

Horace
2008-09-27, 01:09 PM
I am not a noob, but I don't understand DHT. I have read and searched. I have read the Wiki post (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distributed_hash_table) and I still don't get it.

Can someone dumb down DHT? Why is it good? Why is it bad?

Thanks,.
Chris

U2Lynne
2008-09-27, 01:11 PM
You should turn it off if you want to only connect to users from that specific tracker and if you want your tracker stats to update correctly. If you have it on, then you may connect to users but end up bypassing the tracker and thus not getting your stats updated correctly. Some sites require that you have it turned off, we strongly suggest you turn it off.

Horace
2008-09-27, 07:03 PM
I understand that is should be off (which mine is). I'm interested in knowing how it affects my UL and DL speeds. How does it affect my connection to peers/seeders/leachers?

Those types of questions.

Any insight would be welcome.

Peace,
Chris

U2Lynne
2008-09-27, 07:48 PM
It should not affect your ul or dl speeds at all except in the sense that you may connect to more people if you have extra 'slots' to fill. Just like it's not going to affect your connection except that another user using DHT may take up one (or more) of the 'slots' you allow per torrent. That person may be uploading at a high rate or at a low rate. They may be downloading at a high rate or a low rate. That's all.

Horace
2008-09-27, 08:10 PM
Thanks! That's very helpful.
Peace,
Chris