PDA

View Full Version : Internet Explorer 8 Beta 2 and TTD compatibility

keeffromlondon
2008-09-26, 04:17 PM
Have found that IE8 Beta 2 has some compatibility issues with the TTD site.
The most noticeable is that the drop down menus, particularly Search, usually fail to appear.

However, IE8 does have a Compatibility View tool situated next to the Address Bar. This switches IE into IE7 emualtion mode. TTD site works fine then (hooray!).

See http://support.microsoft.com/kb/956197/

MS state in http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc288325(VS.85).aspx that "Internet Explorer 8 more closely supports industry standards than any previous version of the browser. Consequently, sites designed for older versions of the browser may not display as intended." There is a site-level fix in this article which is worth considering.

Ah well. Another argument for Firefox/Chrome/whatever, perhaps?

U2Lynne
2008-09-26, 04:40 PM
Yep. I think vbulletin may have fixed the issue with the later versions, I can't remember. But, since I don't have IE, I have never tested the site on IE. I don't think any of Staff use IE either so they have never mentioned any IE problems to me. (Not that I could easily fix them since I don't have a PC.)

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-26, 06:15 PM
Beta means Beta

if you aren't a web/.NET developer..you'd be nuts to use it.

Unidecker
2008-09-27, 10:09 AM
who the heck still uses IE heh i stopped at IE 5 or 6 no need FIREFOX FTW

Five
2008-09-27, 12:30 PM
I agree unless you have some very strange specific reason to use IE try firefox or if you hate that for some reason opera is also very good. general rule pretty much anything is better than IE.

Unidecker
2008-09-27, 01:00 PM
^ HIGH FIVE ^

Five
2008-09-27, 01:53 PM
yeah mon :D

generally anything that M$ makes can be replaced with something better that is available for free download. the explorer shell, the browser, the defrag tool, the media player, outlook, you name it.

arguably, the OS itself can be replaced with something better but unfortunately there's always some glitches with PC games/apps along the way. maybe reactos will be ready in the next decade or so... ;)