PDA

View Full Version : Creating 24bit DVD help please..

bobs23
2008-09-22, 05:56 PM
Hi all, I've been doing audio for years, but recently wanted to do audio DVD's in 24bit to share. I can easily create a true DVD-A using discwelder chrome. But am having a heck of a time creating a 24 bit DVD. I have Premiere Pro CS3 and Nero. I created my timeline and chapters in PP. I imported the 48/24 files and used black as my video layer, and everything is fine in there. Every time it exports to Encore it transcodes it to 16 bit. I exported as an AVI file in 24 bit and using Nero to burn it, but that won't recognize it. I even tried to copy the true DVD-A (which works perfectly) back onto my HD and rename the audio_TS files and AOB files to VOB files. Still no luck. Am I overthinking this and missing something very simple?
Advice would be greatly appreciated.
TIA

dude87
2008-09-22, 11:09 PM
The DVD Video standard allows for 24 bit audio (at either 48 or 96 kHz). I'm not sure of the authoring capabilities of various programs for creating music-only DVD video discs.

Personally, I think 24 bit files should be shared as FLAC files - they can then be written to DVD by the downloader or played directly from the computer (which is what I do).

DanielG
2008-09-23, 02:07 AM
The DVD Video standard allows for 24 bit audio (at either 48 or 96 kHz).

What would the audio bitrate be at that level?

KustMichaels
2008-09-23, 06:32 PM
Yeah, you don't have to produce a DVD-A with MLP audio, a Video DVD would be sufficient. Linear PCM audio goes up to 24/96 with 8 channels at a bitrate of 6144 kB/s ;) But I guess you are aiming at 24/48 DTS.

I wonder why there aren't more people sharing audio as a video DVD. A downside is of course that the cheap DVD players people have down-convert the audio quality anyway. But sure lot's of people aren't aware of this and grab the DVD anyway just for the 24 Bit audio sticker.

Just as a reminder, for audio only Video DVDs you still need a video stream, otherwise the DVD is not valid. Use highly compressed stills or a ultra low bitrate black screen. A AC3 stream also has to be present ... and let's not forget that in blind test hardly anybody notices the difference.

bobs23
2008-09-23, 09:31 PM
My original intenet is to find a way to share a 48/24 show that other than beeing muxed not to be altered in any way i.e. Dolby Digital or DTS encoding. I was able to achieve this, but only by doing true DVD-A. Th problem with that is that not many people have DVD-A players. I even checked at work where we use Sonic Scenarist. I talked to one of the compressionists who told me that straight 48/24 cannot be written to a standard DVD.

My question now would be, what is the best way to share a 48/24 show:
1. 48/24 flac files (so the user can decide what to do with the files)
2. DVD-A (keep in mind, it would be inteneted for the relative masses)
3. DVD with 48/16 and vob.'s

Last part.. What I would like to upload is Steely Dan Grand Prairie, Tx. 2008-08-21. The taper (Falconidave) Sent me his masterfiles to master the show. All work was done on the 96/24 masters, then down sampled. The results are pretty good, and believe that it's a major upgrade to what is out there now original thread http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=63213&highlight=steely
I know this has been discussed in many forms and at many different times about remasters, and the lack of quality in many of them. I want to assure you guys, I know what I'm doing.
44.1 sample here: http://www.4shared.com/dir/5493427/614ad550/sharing.html

I know I got off topic, but I guess opinions on both would be cool.

jcrab66
2008-09-23, 10:03 PM
best way is to just do the DVD A IMHO

dude87
2008-09-23, 10:34 PM

My vote is for 48/24 FLAC files, giving the downloader complete flexibility (including the option to downsample to 44.1/16 if they want).

I have a DVD-A player, but since moving my music to my PC I don't use it anymore.

STLBlues
2008-09-23, 11:05 PM
My original intenet is to find a way to share a 48/24 show that other than beeing muxed not to be altered in any way i.e. Dolby Digital or DTS encoding. I was able to achieve this, but only by doing true DVD-A. Th problem with that is that not many people have DVD-A players. I even checked at work where we use Sonic Scenarist. I talked to one of the compressionists who told me that straight 48/24 cannot be written to a standard DVD.

I can tell you that you can create a DVD-Video disc using 24bit/48k or 24bit/96k 2-Channel LPCM audio. I have created DVD Videos with both of these audio formats using DVD Lab PRO 2.0. The bitrate for 24/48 is 2304 kb/s and it doubles to 4608 kb/s for 24/96. I don't really want to give advice on how to share it, but it works perfectly with that program. Like I said I have done this with video footage on the DVD, but the program also has the option to create audio-only DVD-Video discs.

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-24, 09:59 AM
I've been using this program (other than discwelder) for DVD audio.

Its cleverly titled: Audio DVD Creator (http://www.audio-dvd-creator.com/)

96/24 audio & allows for static menus (pics, info file, etc).. kinda cool.

great stuff for those 3 and 4 CD-R disc shows in single DVD seamless format.

of course playback is limited to wherever you have a dvd player integrated to your sound system.

KustMichaels
2008-09-26, 05:59 AM
I already pointed out the 16/48 AC3 + 24/48 PCM option. That of course means that your video bitrate is going down. Remember that theoretically the bitrate read-out of stand-alone players is limited to 8 MBit/s for DVD-Rs.

Option 2: Produce the usual 16/48 AC3 audio DVD and put the FLAC files in the DVD_ROM part.

Option 3: Usual DVD + extra DVD with files.