PDA

View Full Version : Burning small dvd shows on cd?

Chaosu
2008-09-16, 12:05 PM
I just saw it mentioned somewhere as miniDVD option in Nero? Whats that? Can cd really be playable in dvd player with menus etc? Would be great option for me as I hate burning 250mb on a dvd, but I don't know if that would be widely accepted.
Phil.

pawel
2008-09-16, 01:06 PM
Nero can create such disc but not all standalone players support it.

kaisersauze
2008-09-16, 01:12 PM
Would the resultant disc be actual DVD quality or VCD?

saltman
2008-09-16, 01:15 PM
I have never done it. The disc is just a storage medium though. If it has the properly mpeg2 encoded files and in the DVD format structure it should work.

I think DVDs and CDs burn the same way inside to out. but I could be wrong. I know one format is different and that was a plan for copy protection. Something like burners burned in one direction but the readers read the other way. Maybe that was an XBOX game.... :hmm:

pawel
2008-09-16, 01:35 PM
The disc is just a storage medium though. If it has the properly mpeg2 encoded files and in the DVD format structure it should work.
Nope, they have different structure hence some (most) players do not recognise a CDR as a DVD media and refuse to play it as such. CDR disc is less dense than DVD.

pawel
2008-09-16, 01:38 PM
Would the resultant disc be actual DVD quality or VCD?
DVD, no re-encoding involved. Nero just writes proper DVD structure and leading sequence but... read above.

saltman
2008-09-16, 01:45 PM
Nope, they have different structure hence some (most) players do not recognise a CDR as a DVD media and refuse to play it as such. CDR disc is less dense than DVD.ahh. that is true. You are correct. You would think there is a flag at the beginning of the files that tell the player it is a DVD (and needs to adjust the laser to read at the correct density). Something similar has to be in place since they make players that play multiple types of discs. Seems that any player that could read DVDs and CDs should be able to read the flag.

showtaper
2008-09-16, 06:19 PM
ahh. that is true. You are correct. You would think there is a flag at the beginning of the files that tell the player it is a DVD (and needs to adjust the laser to read at the correct density). Something similar has to be in place since they make players that play multiple types of discs. Seems that any player that could read DVDs and CDs should be able to read the flag.

Especially since most DVD players will play music CDs.........

pawel
2008-09-16, 06:57 PM
Especially since most DVD players will play music CDs.........
It doesn't matter. It has to be programmed to read mini DVD.