PDA

View Full Version : Why do people still use .SHN

classicrock1169
2008-09-07, 11:33 AM
I don't quite understand why people still use .SHN isn't .Flac clearly better.

mooncusser
2008-09-07, 11:40 AM
Don't lose sight of the fact that some shows might have been originally shared in .SHN and rightfully would circulate in the same form. Most new shows are shared in flac.

jamroom
2008-09-07, 11:57 AM
If I upload a show that I already have in shn, there's no way I'm going to convert it to flac just for the hell of it. I always use flac for new shows or rips though.

U2Lynne
2008-09-07, 12:05 PM
If I have an old show that I originally got in shn format, I seed it in shn format. I rarely see new shows offered in shn.

uninvited94
2008-09-07, 12:26 PM
Yes, why not? I guess most circulating Pearl Jam (at least 1991 - 2003) and, as far as I can see, quite many Pink Floyd and the Dead have been encoded in SHN in 2002 - 2004, and as Foobar plays them, there is no need to re-encode them. You may not burn them directly to Audio-CD as with FLAC on Nero 6 or Burrrn!, but the re-encoding to WAV before burning is at least a good way to test if those files are ok. And I doubt that SHN is used very often nowadays.

direwolf-pgh
2008-09-07, 06:12 PM
question: why do people still use .shn ?when I receive a recording I leave it be.

no converting the format
no tweaking the text file - not even typos
no adding or changing anything

you leave it be.. why?

because as soon as you *fix*/alter/change - there is another source floating around that looks different yet its identical.
no one enjoys downloading the same show twice, three times, four times..etc.etc.

*yes I understand *remasters* are a different animal.
* if someone does make some type of change/correction - Please Update The Text File with details.

mooncusser
2008-09-07, 06:28 PM
looks like the question's been answered many times over, eh?

sanpablobay
2008-09-08, 12:01 PM
what i don't understand is why somebody would convert a show that was originally seed in .flac to shn. which somebody did to one of my shows on dime, and then didn't bother to reflect it in the lineage. just copied & pasted my original lineage but changed .flac to .shn.
i asked why & of course he never bothered to respond back.

uninvited94
2008-09-08, 12:06 PM
what i don't understand is why somebody would convert a show that was originally seed in .flac to shn. which somebody did to one of my shows on dime, and then didn't bother to reflect it in the lineage. just copied & pasted my original lineage but changed .flac to .shn.
i asked why & of course he never bothered to respond back.

Well, thatīs gross...he may have decoded it bach to WAV and then re-encoded it to SHN. That guy took a big pee in the gene pool. Was it a Down-show? I know about a Down-show where some buddy did that as he was quite new to that stuff before I corrected him.