PDA

View Full Version : What causes this tiny gap?

Tate
2005-04-20, 09:11 AM
What causes these types of gaps? They're not at the start of the track, but right after a few milliseconds?

uhclem
2005-04-20, 11:37 AM
It depends on where the files came from. If these files were ripped from an audio CD they could be the result of i) previous sector boundary errors and a retracking, or of ii) a burn that was done with underrun protection and an underrun occurred. The gap you show is smaller than 1 sector (i.e. it's about 0.005s which is less than the sector size of 1/75s) so I think it's likely that they are remnants of SBEs or buffer underruns and that your files came from a rip of an audio CD-R. Hopefully there aren't a lot of them and you can edit them out. If you do that remember to shntoolfix the new files.

It's possible that the gap is just a drop-out in the master source. I think this gap is far too small for that, however.

Five
2005-04-20, 12:21 PM
^ what he said.

wazoo2u
2005-04-20, 02:58 PM
Yup. Me too.

Lou
2005-04-20, 10:51 PM
I hate those. Basically every Police show you try to trade for has a problem like that. The only silver lining is that they're a hell of a lot easier to correct than clicks.

Tate
2005-04-21, 12:04 AM
Thanks uhclem for the technical info, it's the anwser I was looking for.

Every file of the bootleg has them, gotta remove 'em all :(

Five
2005-04-21, 12:20 AM
if you really zoom in and just delete the 0 samples you can practically get it perfect. If you're feeling confident, you can turn off smoothing in the settings, just be sure to toggle spectral view to see if you're introducing a click after the delete. It usually takes a couple undos/redos.

And as uhclem said you'll introduce SBEs which need to be fixed afterwards.

Tate
2005-04-21, 07:40 AM
Cool thanks, will do!

Lou
2005-04-21, 04:32 PM
I just delete the zeroes using Soundforge Audacity, make sure that the dots which represent the wave are continuous (I can tell what a click looks like, it's a thin, vertical line with no dots) and it'll be fine. Save as one big wave file and then re-track yourself with CD Wave.