PDA

View Full Version : Mini DV media

xjsb125
2008-08-10, 11:46 AM
Just a quick question on mini dv tapes. I have noticed some mini dv HD tapes out there stamped for use in all mini dv camcorders. Does anyone have any experience using the HD grade tapes in a standard def recorder? I have been using Sony tapes for the last 3 years for concerts (DV80PRL) with only one tape having a frame dropout issue, and even then it was only 5 frames dropped. I like the Sony 80 minute tapes because I can run LP mode and get 2 hours out of it, which makes it easier for me to keep from switching tapes and for syncing audio.

I recently purchased a Canon ZR500 since it has better low light capability than my Sony, and I am looking for recommendations on blank media, if you all have any. Thanks!

AAR.oner
2008-08-10, 03:40 PM
you can shoot SD onto Hd tapes, but its a complete waste of money in my opinion...there are a LOT of prefessionals who shoot HD on HD cams using SD miniDV tapes because the difference is so miniscule

there are some who say that using a HD miniDV tape in a SD miniDV camera offers less frame drops, however my experience is that the decrease in drops is not worth the price increase...if you have some HD tapes laying around that you just want to use up, then fine...but don't waste yer money on buying HD tapes...i've found Sony's premium line to be fine, especially for non-professional work like taping where yer arse isn't on the line with a client should there be a un-fixable drop here or there

xjsb125
2008-08-10, 05:16 PM
Ok, that's what I needed to know. Thanks!