PDA

View Full Version : Wholefile md5s

irishcrazy2005
2005-04-19, 08:24 PM
Hey ya'll,
So I have been thinking about how much I really like the part of wholefiles md5s that allows me to ensure that all of the files are there. I also greatly enjoy the idea of st5 and ffp. Is there some way to incorporate something that will check to see if all files are present and still stick with individual checksums?

Phil

feralicious
2005-04-19, 08:55 PM
You can look at the ffp/st5 in txt mode and see the list of files.

irishcrazy2005
2005-04-19, 09:27 PM
You can look at the ffp/st5 in txt mode and see the list of files.

Haha, yeah I know. I guess I was just looking for a lazier method than this. As a second question, if you download a FLAC set, load up the files into FLAC frontend, and hit test, what exactly is the frontend checking the files against? Is it just information in the header of the file?

-Phil

pmonk
2005-04-19, 10:01 PM
Test (same as -d except no decoded file is written). The exit codes are the same as in decode mode.

Decode (flac encodes by default). flac will exit with an exit code of 1 (and print a message, even in silent mode) if there were any errors during decoding, including when the MD5 checksum does not match the decoded output. Otherwise the exit code will be 0.

feralicious
2005-04-19, 11:16 PM
Test (same as -d except no decoded file is written). The exit codes are the same as in decode mode.

Decode (flac encodes by default). flac will exit with an exit code of 1 (and print a message, even in silent mode) if there were any errors during decoding, including when the MD5 checksum does not match the decoded output. Otherwise the exit code will be 0.Huh? :confused:

I believe it's checking the flac fingerprints against the shntool md5/st5 to make sure that it's the same hash as the decoded file.

uhclem
2005-04-19, 11:26 PM
As a second question, if you download a FLAC set, load up the files into FLAC frontend, and hit test, what exactly is the frontend checking the files against? Is it just information in the header of the file?
Yes

Five
2005-04-20, 03:16 AM
if you're on PC grab TLH, it can check .ffp and .st5 (or either with .txt extensions, too) just as if it were an oldschool wholefile .md5. The only inconvenience is that you can't associate these files so they can be double-clicked and trigger the program (but will be able to someday in a future version). You must first open TLH then find the .ffp/.st5/.txt file you wish to test.

http://thor.prohosting.com/roh0205/

pmonk
2005-04-20, 05:30 AM
[QOUTE=pmonk]Test (same as -d except no decoded file is written). The exit codes are the same as in decode mode.

Decode (flac encodes by default). flac will exit with an exit code of 1 (and print a message, even in silent mode) if there were any errors during decoding, including when the MD5 checksum does not match the decoded output. Otherwise the exit code will be 0.[/QUOTE]

Huh? :confused:

I believe it's checking the flac fingerprints against the shntool md5/st5 to make sure that it's the same hash as the decoded file.

Thats what I was saying!

spiritinaphoto
2005-04-20, 04:20 PM
[QOUTE=pmonk]Test (same as -d except no decoded file is written). The exit codes are the same as in decode mode.

Decode (flac encodes by default). flac will exit with an exit code of 1 (and print a message, even in silent mode) if there were any errors during decoding, including when the MD5 checksum does not match the decoded output. Otherwise the exit code will be 0.

But only against the checksums in the header of the file, not comparing the headers to the fingerprint text file--there is a huge difference between the two.

Oh yes, speaking of utilities that will compare the fingerprints in the text file to those in the headers of the file, the 'md5check' command included with etree's scripts will do this, although there isn't st5 support yet. I'm not certain if the etree scripts are Linux only, or if other operating systems are supported as well. Actually, etree's 'md5check' command is pretty damned slick--don't have to tell it what kind of files are in the directory--just point it to the directory and it'll check md5sums, compare fingerprints in headers to the text file, and test the FLAC files. It is by far the easiest method to check if a CD-R burned properly--just type "md5check /mnt/cdrom" (sans quotes of course) in the command line and watch the output.

I'm going to have to remember to finish typing my beginners' guide to Linux someday. Got off to a great start one evening, and never moved on from there.

pmonk
2005-04-20, 04:29 PM
The question was what does the test option in Flacfrontend test???

Five
2005-04-20, 07:54 PM
As I understand it, FLAC frontend decompresses the FLAC file, generates a FFP and then compares it to the FFP contained in the header (if there's no errors before then).

jazzbo
2005-04-21, 07:42 PM
Oh yes, speaking of utilities that will compare the fingerprints in the text file to those in the headers of the file, the 'md5check' command included with etree's scripts will do this, although there isn't st5 support yet. I'm not certain if the etree scripts are Linux only, or if other operating systems are supported as well.

Any system with perl installed should be able to run md5check and the code explictly makes some internal checks to work with Windows although I've never tried it.

Also, as a proof of concept a long time ago (back in the STG days) I patched md5check to check md5 files created by shntool. I've kept the patch up to date as Caleb as released new versions of md5check. Very easy to add support for the .st5 extension -- which I've just done -- if you're interested I could attach the script, or a patch file against the original script.

Five
2005-04-22, 12:58 PM
I would love to have as much support for linux as possible here. maybe you could start a linux thread, jazzbo. I'm not sure if the linux users will even notice this post, but with linux in the title they'll all read it.

spiritinaphoto
2005-04-22, 06:05 PM
Very easy to add support for the .st5 extension -- which I've just done -- if you're interested I could attach the script, or a patch file against the original script.
Oh yes, that'd be wonderful if you could attach the updated script.

jazzbo
2005-04-23, 12:15 AM
Oh yes, that'd be wonderful if you could attach the updated script.

Okay, I've attached it. I had to rename it to a .txt file to attach it -- you can just rename it and change the permissions to make it executable.

I'd be interested to hear how it works for you.

MGStreak
2007-06-10, 09:23 AM
I would love to have as much support for linux as possible here. maybe you could start a linux thread, jazzbo. I'm not sure if the linux users will even notice this post, but with linux in the title they'll all read it.

Well, I'm at least ONE Linux user who found this thread!
Thanks for the great script!

spiritinaphoto
2007-06-10, 11:17 AM
Well, I'm at least ONE Linux user who found this thread!
Thanks for the great script!
If you ever decide to upgrade from shntool 2.x to 3.x, the st5 checking feature in that script won't work because the shntool command to create st5s changed.

Go here to get the updated version that will work with shntool 3.x:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34055

MGStreak
2007-06-11, 02:21 AM
If you ever decide to upgrade from shntool 2.x to 3.x, (...) Go here to get the updated version that will work with shntool 3.x:
http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/showthread.php?t=34055
Thanks for the heads up!