PDA

View Full Version : Rating audio shows thru speakers or headphones?

AndyLGR
2008-06-26, 12:47 PM
I normally rate my shows based on listening to them on my stereo or playing them through my computer. I was listening to some on my headphones and shows that sound very good on speakers dont sound so great through headphones, I'm not sure whether I should revise my ratings or not.

Similarly I recorded Def Leppard in Sheffield earlier this week, on my speakers it sounds like a good recording. On the headphones it doesn't. Again should I trust what I hear through speakers or phones?

Yet there are some shows I have that sound great through both.

Homebrew101
2008-06-26, 01:52 PM
Your questions make me think 2 things.

1) are your headphones good quality (in comparison to your speakers)?
2) decide by which one you will listen to the shows through the most and judge by that device's sound

paddington
2008-06-26, 01:55 PM
both

but listen to what you normally would since your rating will be subjective, anyway.

Headphones are best or picking out flaws and problems.

your car stereo, running 90MPH down the interstate, is the best testing ground for general listening.

AndyLGR
2008-06-26, 02:12 PM
The headphones I use at home are just some Sony MDRXD100 which I think give a decent sound. At work I have a set that I robbed from my old sharp minidisc player.

James - you mention playing them in the car. I do that a lot to give me a feel for shows too, but I find that stuff that doesnt sound bassy on my pc sounds bassy on the car stereo (even though its not set excessively high in the car).

When I'm editing shows I tend to have a compare list of songs from shows that I think sound good and then when I'm editing I listen back to those samples to give me a good comparison.

rspencer
2008-06-26, 02:42 PM
Whichever you prefer to listen through. I give little credence to ratings myself.

I've heard shows (we'll just say Led Zep for example) that have been rated as "good" or "listenable" & when you put it on it's so horrendous it might be Black Sabbath on stage, who can tell.

Not picking on Zep, you can find it plenty with the Doors, Hendrix, etc.

Just grade based on whichever way you prefer to listen.

Al FS
2008-06-28, 02:41 AM
Like it's been said, however you feel. I'm not keen on ratings either, they always seem wrong... a B for me might be your A or vice versa.

For example, I got a My Bloody Valentine concert from Dime. Sounds good but has a horrible screech that can NOT be removed (without horribly damaging the music). On speakers it hurts but on headphones it's murder. I call it a B+ to B while I think the seeder gave it an A. A 2002 Roger Waters concert taped by the famed guy who taped all analougue with good equipment I thought sounded like crap but others loved. It's all preference.

Karst
2008-06-30, 05:46 PM
MBV would be murder to listen to anyway. Heard people were actually throwing up during the last song?

AAR.oner
2008-07-03, 06:44 AM
MBV was one of the first shows i ever went to...my ears rang for 5 days straight afterwards...can't imagine trying to get a decent recording of their set, extremely tough

as for ratings, as has been said, its all subjecive...but in order to make a decent judgement on any recording, a decent pair of phones or monitors is necessary...those little mini computer speakers just aren't gonna cut it [not even if you paid $100+ for them ;) ]

jamroom
2008-07-03, 12:32 PM
I started by using my cans ($300 worth), but a couple of bass heavy shows were still bass heavy when I listened on my hi-fi, so it's worth checking using both methods.

Al FS
2008-07-03, 07:39 PM
Off topic: It was a pre-FM source so I would trust the person mixing (at least a little)

Of course if hi-fi speakers have a crossover in them that can affect it too...

Five
2008-07-04, 04:39 AM
sounds good on speakers but not so good on headphones

is better than:
sounds good on headphones but not so good on speakers

hopefully it can sound good on both! maybe upgrade yer mics.
edit: oh, its pre-fm... don't even bother rating it, unless there's multitracks or its damaged somehow that's as good as it gets. everybody loves a pre-fm, even if it could have been mixed a little better.