PDA

View Full Version : download speeds

david sheppard
2008-06-11, 09:48 AM
hi guys
can anybody tell me whats the best download speeds.
cause im not sure how to set speeds.
every time i download a audio show it takes over a day to download
cheers david:hmm::hmm:

weesam
2008-06-11, 09:56 AM
do a speed test for your connection:

http://www.thinkbroadband.com/speedtest.html

set your upload speed to about 2/3rds of the maximum download speed quoted in the above test. Any more and it tends to swamp your connection and kill your download speed, any less and you might find it difficult to maintain a decent ratio.

If you haven't done so, try to open some ports in your firewall.

dorrcoq
2008-06-11, 02:48 PM
Anyhow, what's your rush? Do you really need it to download TODAY?

GRC
2008-06-11, 03:32 PM
Hello David; OK, I know this may sound really obvious, but;

You ARE on a broadband connection, aren't you?

When the downloading show is taking a day, are you downloading only one show at a time? Do you have any other shows (completed) that are uploading at the same time?

Your torrent client (program) should show the download speed (in kB/sec), and the number of seeds and peers for the show. The thread in the forum also shows who is seeding, who is leeching, and how many have the complete show.
If there's only one person seeding the show (uploading), and a small number of peers like you (downloading) it'll take a while. They go faster when more folks join in, and when more people have the complete show.

The size of the torrent will have an effect too; I recently uploaded a Jack Bruce torrent with 6 CDs' worth of music - that's gonna take longer than, shall we say, the Kinky Friedman session - which only had about 6 tunes!

Hope this helps.... which shows are we talking about?

Regards, Graham

diggrd
2008-06-11, 03:54 PM
go here http://www.thetradersden.org/forums/torstats.php
and get one of the 5 best seeded shows and see how long it takes

caran
2010-04-06, 09:55 AM
My advice is that before you do a speed test (http://www.myspeedtestonline.com/) you should have ALL programs closed and no applications open. Specially the ones that connect to the Internet. you should also try doing the test in different moments of the day, because heavy traffic can significantly lower your speed. Check this webs, i trust them when i need a speed test: myspeedtestonline.com , speedtest.net , my-speedtest.com

mrpete
2010-04-09, 10:22 PM
diggrd is absolutely right. I just wanted to add that the "Best Seeded Torrents" isn't the only list to look on for your test selection.

Some of the shows on the "Most Active Torrents" list might be good tests for you. Right now (as I'm typing this) the shows below qualify. You want a show that is not too large and has WAY more seeders than leechers (15x+ would be good). Videos are large, so they might take you more time to download than you would like.

Derek and the Dominos 1970-11-20 Civic Auditorium, Santa Monica FLAC
-OR-
Jimi Hendrix 1968-05-10 Itīs Only A Papermoon --REPOST-- FLAC

TheStraightest
2010-04-09, 11:33 PM
done a few tests myself.. all i can say is my upload speed is fantaaaaastic!!!